Wazzup?? I'll Open Up With Something Controversial: What Guitarist Don't You "Get"?

I agree 100% Especially when I hear how they (Crapton, Hippie Hendrix) revolutionized Music more than EVH Nothing comes close to EVH for Changing Music and Gear
But then again I dont really pay attention to those that would preach Crapton and Hendrix
But these are my thoughts
YMMV
I love Ed, but he'd have spent his days scrubbing floors if it weren't for Clapton. Without that, a lot of his ideas (based on a lot of his other influences) would have no grounding that people could latch onto as he'd be a little too out there to be popular.

It’s interesting because we’re talking about different eras. I don’t think Clapton and Hendrix revolutionized music and gear more than EVH, but I think they did just as much in their time.

EVH was the one pushing boundaries, changing the way the instrument was played, changing gear in the late ‘70s-‘80s. Before him Clapton and Hendrix were doing the same thing in the ‘60s. Before them Les Paul was doing it in the ‘40s-‘50s.

We have a long line of innovators to thank for all the music we have today
If "changing the way the instrument was played" is with regards to tapping, people were doing that for quite some time in rock prior to him.

I love Ed, but he'd have spent his days scrubbing floors if it weren't for Clapton. Without that, a lot of his ideas (based on a lot of his other influences) would have no grounding that people could latch onto as he'd be a little too out there to be popular.

Where would Clapton have been if it weren’t for Albert King and those other American blues guitarists?

Like someone said above, we all stand on the shoulders of giants

If "changing the way the instrument was played" is with regards to tapping, people were doing that for quite some time in rock prior to him.

I think his influence went way beyond just tapping. You can’t deny the impact he had on the guitar community at the time

EVH

Bracing myself:
Burning Set On Fire GIF by US National Archives
“Buh buh but it’s his swing!”

Everybody has always been influenced by someone Still Does not mean that Hendrix or Clapton were responsible for a paradigm shift

as I said That was my Opinion

But historically they were. Both were responsible for massive paradigm shifts at the time.

Regardless of what you personally think of them or what their influence is today.
Valid Point but I did mention that was my thoughts

(y)

As for guitarists I don't get? The tech metal guys don't do it for me. I'm going to lump bands like Polyphia, anything Tosin Abasi into this as well. I get they are talented at what they do, I just don't enjoy the music.

Pretty much right there with you. Exhibition music. IMO

And I feel the same way about a lot of 80’s shred instrumentalists too. (Ducks for cover) Same fundamental drawbacks, just being expressed differently. (Albeit while not sounding like music made by someone who just snorted adderall)

Right there with you. That whole genre of guitar playing (EVH, Vai, Satriani, etc) never resonated with me. I was the right age at the right time, too.
Might have been on the cusp of the earlier Gen. I am that way with grunge. In 1991-2, I was 16 jamming out to VH’s Carnal Knowledge album in my car. Kids in my grade, same era of music. The kids in the grades just below us were all wearing Nirvana shirts, Pearl Jam, etc.

Even though it was a quasi-manufactured shift by record companies, it was strange seeing the line drawn.

Back