Wazzup?? I'll Open Up With Something Controversial: What Guitarist Don't You "Get"?

I don't listen to most of the shit you guys have posted. I haven't been interested in shred since I was a virgin. I'm also a 90s kid so anything 80s was generalized "old" or "whack". Tight pants, hair in the sky, plastic bag reverb :barf

This was all before I descovered Metallica had music in the 80s before the Black Album so my bias changed somewhat in high school, although I still can only stomach a small selection from the era.

But even now, I walked out of Generation Axe. ZW and his endless Pentatonic runs while walking around the entire Fox theater, YM and his amp failures, berating the techs and missing his pick-kicks (funny!) . I gained an appreciation for Nuno who did (a really good job with) most of the singing, and was mostly there for Vai and Abasi. I got my full of those two guys and left with my wife. Too many creeps at that show to bring a lady.

Oh, Blizzard and Diary are the best Ozzy.

I don't listen to most of the s**t you guys have posted. I haven't been interested in shred since I was a virgin. I'm also a 90s kid so anything 80s was generalized "old" or "whack". Tight pants, hair in the sky, plastic bag reverb :barf

This was all before I descovered Metallica had music in the 80s before the Black Album so my bias changed somewhat in high school, although I still can only stomach a small selection from the era.

But even now, I walked out of Generation Axe. ZW and his endless Pentatonic runs while walking around the entire Fox theater, YM and his amp failures, berating the techs and missing his pick-kicks (funny!) . I gained an appreciation for Nuno who did (a really good job with) most of the singing, and was mostly there for Vai and Abasi. I got my full of those two guys and left with my wife. Too many creeps at that show to bring a lady.

Should have hung around. After the show you could have done some curls with Zakk.

I don't listen to most of the s**t you guys have posted. I haven't been interested in shred since I was a virgin. I'm also a 90s kid so anything 80s was generalized "old" or "whack". Tight pants, hair in the sky, plastic bag reverb :barf

I grew up in a small community with one smallish music store in the entire county.
They used to rent out spandex onesies. No shit!

You played in a band and you would rent the PA from the store for your Friday and Saturday gigs,
and get your stage attire to go with it.

The 80s were definitely creep-tastic..... and an helluva lot of fun!!! :banana

The 80s were definitely creep-tastic
"Honey this guy's touching my leg and giving me looks" says my wife referring to the white-haired Guy Fieri clone sitting next to the white-haired Guy Fieri clone attempting to take a selfie with ZW as he saunters up the aisle followed by fervent technicians struggling to make sense of the trail of cable left behind as Tied To The Whipping Post drags into its 8th minute.

Now, I'm a guy who has no trouble with confrontation but that night I was more than under a few influences so we opted to watch the show farther away from the floor, and then left because YM was yelling at people. That energy just sucked.

Keith Richards. I respect what they’ve done, but I just dont get the music.

I can tune a guitar to open G, throw it down a flight of stairs and I’d have played half their catalog by the time it stops bouncing.

"Honey this guy's touching my leg and giving me looks" says my wife referring to the white-haired Guy Fieri clone sitting next to the white-haired Guy Fieri clone attempting to take a selfie with ZW as he saunters up the aisle followed by fervent technicians struggling to make sense of the trail of cable left behind as Tied To The Whipping Post drags into its 8th minute.

Now, I'm a guy who has no trouble with confrontation but that night I was more than under a few influences so we opted to watch the show farther away from the floor, and then left because YM was yelling at people. That energy just sucked.

Ouch! That sounds like an awful date you had to make up to your wife later by enduring a Rom-Com marathon. ;)

Yeah, I don't the bedazzled jeans on middle-aged men thing either. Not to mention the endless noodles being tossed out
there as if it is the freshest pasta being served this side of the Atlantic. No thanks!

I love guitar, but I love songs and captivating performances even more. Self-indulgent wanker is self-indulgent wankery.

I don't like Lynch Mob. At all :bag Tooth and Nail and Under Lock and Key are all I need as far as Lynch goes.
Agreed 100% those albums and even some of back for the Attack are George at his best , the Lynch Mob was not his best work IMO
But those first records were an awesome mix or melody riffs and tone , although sadly nowadays if I want to listen to classic George
I Just listen to Jon Levin he has it nailed

I fully embrace and endorse the erosion of one's former self----because that is also where I am at in life. :beer

For me it's a toss-up between Hendrix and Clapton. Yeah, I know. Sacrilege. Never been a fan. I mean, I can appreciate what Jimi did for guitar, waaay back in the 60's, but to read people claim that he's still the GOAT??? After EVH came along? That I just don't get.
And yeah, I listened to the isolated track of While My Guitar Gently Weeps solo, and it's really melodic and all that, but all I hear is a guy noodling. God? :unsure: :rolleyes:

Now Gilmour, EVH, Lifeson, Petrucci..., those guys I get. (Guess that's why Baskin Robbins makes 31 flavors.)

How bout you?
Well out of ultra popular my list would be..

Brian May
Steve Vai
Eric Johnson
Satch

Cant say I have enjoyed much of their work. Couple Vai tunes when he was with DLR but the rest..meh.

Players almost strictly worshipped by guitarists I dont get..

Robert Fripp
Pat Travers
Peter Frampton
Yngwie J. Egostein
Tosin Abasi

I have more but those are the major ones.

Oh man. Did anyone say Joe Bonamassa yet?

Also, I saw Nuno somewhere. Lol, totally “get” him. Different strokes…oh well

Back