Wazzup?? I'll Open Up With Something Controversial: What Guitarist Don't You "Get"?

Oh man. Did anyone say Joe Bonamassa yet?

Also, I saw Nuno somewhere. Lol, totally “get” him. Different strokes…oh well
I am not a huge fan but Bonnamassa new album time clocks has great production and his tone is pretty sweet

I cant stand Bonamanhole for some reason, but his lead playing is phenominal.
I think he would be cool to yak about gear with. I think his playing is INSANE. His solo material is gross. I do like Black Country Communion. I wish they would have continued on and done something a little less polished sounding.

I think he would be cool to yak about gear with. I think his playing is INSANE. His solo material is gross. I do like Black Country Communion. I wish they would have continued on and done something a little less polished sounding.

I was on vacay in Salt Lake City and saw they were playing the Depot there. Probably not 1000 people there. One of the
best shows I have seen. Pretty sure that was there on and only brief tour in the States. 2011??

Dodgy phone vid. It was awesome!

I love Lynch's playing, and I'm glad he's done with steroids, which were fucking with his playing abilities. I've loved the projects he has done the past 8 or so years too.

Vinnie Vincent can get bent. Fuck him.

Guys like Page, Clapton, Hendrix etc need to be looked at from the viewpoint of their era. We tend to forget that at some point what these guys were doing was new and different.

When the average guitarist on YT nowadays has more chops than you can hear in e.g Clapton's playing, he doesn't seem all that special. But we are all standing on shoulders of giants.

As for guitarists I don't get? The tech metal guys don't do it for me. I'm going to lump bands like Polyphia, anything Tosin Abasi into this as well. I get they are talented at what they do, I just don't enjoy the music.

I don' t get BB King's playing.
Does nothing for me.
Controversial I suppose, but I just don't get it 🤷‍♂️

Not knocking his playing, it's just not something I'd choose to listen to.

Edited for clarity 👍

Last edited:
Yeah but those f*cking kicks in the G3 DVD are priceless. I almost fell off my couch the first time I watched that G3 DVD.

Old post I know but brought back a lot of memories. I was at that concert where they filmed the DVD and I remember we were cracking up at the kicks :rofl

Yngwie was so insanely loud at that concert that it just sounded like white noise. I honestly couldn’t even make out anything he was playing until he switched to the acoustic.

I also remember the jam where they all traded solos. Vai and Satch would trade off ideas and match each other and Yngwie just came in blazing every single time completely ignoring what they were doing :rofl

I love Yngwie, he’s somehow become sort of endearing at this point, but I can totally understand why some hate him. You kind of have to either love him or hate him

Guys like Page, Clapton, Hendrix etc need to be looked at from the viewpoint of their era. We tend to forget that at some point what these guys were doing was new and different.

When the average guitarist on YT nowadays has more chops than you can hear in e.g Clapton's playing, he doesn't seem all that special. But we are all standing on shoulders of giants.

As for guitarists I don't get? The tech metal guys don't do it for me. I'm going to lump bands like Polyphia, anything Tosin Abasi into this as well. I get they are talented at what they do, I just don't enjoy the music.

Yeah, 100% agree!

Especially Clapton. He sounds cliche today because he’s been around so long, so many have imitated him, and the white guy blues rock thing has been done to death. But back in the time and place where he started he was absolutely groundbreaking and revolutionary! He was so unique and original he started new trends in gear and pretty much single handedly revived the Les Paul.

I heard once that it was becoming so hard to find Les Pauls that kids started showing up at Les Paul’s house asking if he had any they could buy from him. They weren’t made anymore and after Beano everyone had to have one so they were impossible to find.

I may get slammed for this, but in some ways Clapton was very similar to Kurt Cobain in those early days. He was a counter culture revolutionary who used unpopular antiquated guitars to introduce a generation to a new kind of music they’d never heard before

he's still the GOAT??? After EVH came along? That I just don't get.
I agree 100% Especially when I hear how they (Crapton, Hippie Hendrix) revolutionized Music more than EVH Nothing comes close to EVH for Changing Music and Gear
But then again I dont really pay attention to those that would preach Crapton and Hendrix
But these are my thoughts
YMMV

Last edited:
EVH

Bracing myself:
Burning Set On Fire GIF by US National Archives

A lot of it sounds like a fax machine hooked up to a modelling unit.

I agree 100% Especially when I hear how they (Crapton, Hippie Hendrix) revolutionized Music more than EVH Nothing comes close to EVH for Changing Music and Gear
But then again I dont really pay attention to those that would preach Crapton and Hendrix
But these are my thoughts
YMMV

It’s interesting because we’re talking about different eras. I don’t think Clapton and Hendrix revolutionized music and gear more than EVH, but I think they did just as much in their time.

EVH was the one pushing boundaries, changing the way the instrument was played, changing gear in the late ‘70s-‘80s. Before him Clapton and Hendrix were doing the same thing in the ‘60s. Before them Les Paul was doing it in the ‘40s-‘50s.

We have a long line of innovators to thank for all the music we have today

Back