Wah (t's) Going On? A Thread Celebrating The OG Effects Pedal.

This just popped up on my FB this morning, interesting to see another company using the Killer Wail name, as I believe that was one of the Charlie Stringer wahs-

New Ritchie Kotzen wah

View attachment 29678

That's tough and tight as hell. :love

Here are some of my favorites:
View attachment 29757View attachment 29756

This is a JEN Double Sound fuzz/wah, made in Italy in the late 60s/early 70s. It's switchable between fuzz and wah, or just wah. There's also a "Super" version with a three way switch that allows for fuzz only. John Wetton used one of these to great effect (ha) during his tenure with King Crimson. The wah is basically a V846, and the fuzz is the same circuit used in the "Vox Distortion Booster", which (like the Dan Armstrong effects) you plugged directly into your guitar.

View attachment 29758

Mu-Tron C200 volume wah. AC powered, weighs a ton! The volume side will do up to 10db of boost. Very clean/unique sounding wah. Thurston Moore used one for years.

View attachment 29760
View attachment 29762

This is my all-time favorite - the Maestro Boomerang (BG2). It's the nastiest, dirtiest wah I've ever heard, famously used on the "Shaft" soundtrack (and also by Zappa in the early 70s). It will wacka-chicka-wacka like you won't believe. It has a slight volume boost and a longer travel than most wahs of the era.

Doooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooddddddddddddddddddddddddd!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :love :love :love

My fave wah is my EVH signature. I haven’t had it on my board in a while though, been using the 535Q mini and now just the helix floor wahs (which I configure to mimic the EVH range).

If/when the fractal FX4 ever materializes into a real thing, I may put a board together using real dirt + the FX4 in the loop, and might just get break out the EVH bad boy. 😍

IMG_7077.jpeg

I been using a Vox 847 Wah for years and been very happy with it. The Vox 847 is the only wah I ever used before yet. Until recently that is. The Vox did everything I wanted, but I din't use it as often as I woulda liked to because of it's size and it din't fit on my pedal board. I always liked the Dunlop Crybabys, so when I seen the Crybaby Junior I got the idea of putting together a pedalboard with the Crybaby Jr. on the board.

I got one from Analogman with the Foxrox wah retrofit. I played it in performances a few times but haven't put together a pedalboard with it yet. It's significantly smaller than a full size wah, but works fine with my size 9 foot.

The travel of the pedal is maybe a little tighter than the full size Vox but it's barely noticeable. The sound is very nice and it's typical Crybaby. The Foxrox retrofit is a buffer and also adds a little sharpness or definition that's designed to sound good with fuzz. I tried it with a Keeley Fuzz Head pedal and it sounds good, the wah with the Foxrox cuts through the fuzz.

20241012_234431.jpg

Back