Wah (t's) Going On? A Thread Celebrating The OG Effects Pedal.

I bought a copper crybaby that i gigged with years and years ago. It was as shiny as a new penny when I got it and it has naturally oxidized over the years.

Nothing really special electronically. At least I don't think there is. It just looks neat and I doubt I'll ever sell it.

View attachment 29636
View attachment 29637

That's sweet! :love Much better looking than the 'Burst Crybaby I purchased around that same time.

I bet that was kind of the predecessor to both the 1st Cantrell Sig Crybaby and the Gary Clark Jr.
Crybaby that both have that copper-esque finish. :idk

Did you end up trying the Wahzoo? Funny, I used the auto-wah setting on my last track and dug it. It's a unique mode because if you put the treadle toe down it does the standard auto wah vibe, but heel down does a reverse sweep. An interest effect for sure. The sensitivity pot controls how much of the range opens up based on your attack.

Sounds fun. :beer

I have not seen Charlie since week before this past one. He had a gig in the area yesterday and
I was out on the pavement screaming like a kid with the wind in my hair. :LOL:

I'll probably get with him in the next week or two. Since we both own homes a couple of miles
from one another and we are the only 2 cats in town who know what a Wahzoo is I am sure it
will happen eventually. :guiness

fan2fp2khk5wpqhsysct.jpg

Feel free to share your faves, your surprises, your tips and tricks, and even your "I forgot I left it
ons" (like I did last night and then ended up playing an hour exploring an accidental tone).
This made me laugh - and compels me to re-share this old yarn:

This just popped up on my FB this morning, interesting to see another company using the Killer Wail name, as I believe that was one of the Charlie Stringer wahs-

New Ritchie Kotzen wah

IMG_0255.png

This just popped up on my FB this morning, interesting to see another company using the Killer Wail name, as I believe that was one of the Charlie Stringer wahs-

New Ritchie Kotzen wah

View attachment 29678
That's a sturdy housing for sure, just stay away from salt air.

Fwiw, I possibly still like my 535Q best in terms of sound (and flexibility), but ever since I had to get used to the GT-10's onboard wah/vol for a number of reasons back in the days, I'm spoiled. Not because of the sound but simply because I absolutely love that larger travel range. I also absolutely liked the Helix Floor's EXP for wah operation, just. that the switch sucked quite a bit (too tough to switch and no way to really change that behaviour).
Also one of the reasons why I'm mainly using a Hotone Soulpress II wah/vol. Soundwise, I like it a whole lot as well, but unfortunately it comes with a slight but noticeable volume boost sometimes getting in the way (especially on clean sounds). I already thought of having it modified because otherwise it's almost perfect.

New Ritchie Kotzen wah

View attachment 29678
I love the design/build of those. Might be fun to give this one a try.:unsure:

The two wahs I miss the most. I had a vertex wah I bought stupidly cheap after the scandal broke before trading for something else I no longer have anymore.
The Budda Wah hurts though. I gigged it for years and it always sounded stellar, I'd love another one.

I bought a broken Ltd edition Dunlop gcb95 in smoked chrome last year, when I work through enough of my build pile I'm going to gut it and build a ben wah clone with some sexy parts and a halo inductor.
View attachment 29060

View attachment 29061

So it turns out the broken Gcb95 I bought to gut and use as a shell for a new wah build wasn't really broken at all. I didn't even bother plugging it in after I bought it because it was going to get rebuilt anyway. I had a look this afternoon and it just needed the bracket that attaches the treadle to the pot reattached and set properly. It took less than 5 mins and it's as good as new.

I did a comparison this afternoon between the budda and the Crybaby. I haven't used a crybaby in a long long time and the gcb95 is way better than I remember.

It's got a longer sweep than the Budda which is actually a little bit more comfortable for me than the shorter throw of the Budda and it sounds great. The Budda, however, is a bit beefier, doesn't get as thin as the Crybaby and sounds great at all points on the treadle. It's also not as nasal as the Crybaby (which can be cool for some tones)

If I'm being honest I could easily gig with either of them and be quite happy. I do prefer the Budda though so it's going to stay.

The Crybaby looks great and now it works I'm reluctant to take it apart to build something else in the shell. I'm also now sorted for a wah so if I do rebuild it I'll turn it into an expression pedal or I'll just move it on. I'll have a think over the next few days.

Here are some of my favorites:
doublesound_2.jpg
doublesound.jpg

This is a JEN Double Sound fuzz/wah, made in Italy in the late 60s/early 70s. It's switchable between fuzz and wah, or just wah. There's also a "Super" version with a three way switch that allows for fuzz only. John Wetton used one of these to great effect (ha) during his tenure with King Crimson. The wah is basically a V846, and the fuzz is the same circuit used in the "Vox Distortion Booster", which (like the Dan Armstrong effects) you plugged directly into your guitar.

c200.jpg

Mu-Tron C200 volume wah. AC powered, weighs a ton! The volume side will do up to 10db of boost. Very clean/unique sounding wah. Thurston Moore used one for years.

boomerang.jpg

boomerang_2.jpg

This is my all-time favorite - the Maestro Boomerang (BG2). It's the nastiest, dirtiest wah I've ever heard, famously used on the "Shaft" soundtrack (and also by Zappa in the early 70s). It will wacka-chicka-wacka like you won't believe. It has a slight volume boost and a longer travel than most wahs of the era.

Fwiw, I possibly still like my 535Q best in terms of sound (and flexibility), but ever since I had to get used to the GT-10's onboard wah/vol for a number of reasons back in the days, I'm spoiled. Not because of the sound but simply because I absolutely love that larger travel range. I also absolutely liked the Helix Floor's EXP for wah operation, just. that the switch sucked quite a bit (too tough to switch and no way to really change that behaviour).
Also one of the reasons why I'm mainly using a Hotone Soulpress II wah/vol. Soundwise, I like it a whole lot as well, but unfortunately it comes with a slight but noticeable volume boost sometimes getting in the way (especially on clean sounds). I already thought of having it modified because otherwise it's almost perfect.
I forgot about the HX Floor switch. Always felt like you had to jump on it with all your weight to activate. I never used it. The Boss equivalents were weird as well, though not as picky with how much force they needed to engage.

I have 4 and kind of want another for some reason. Wilson Effects seem to have some interesting options.

I have an EVH, JP95, GCB95F Crybaby Classic, and Crybaby from Hell.

Any ideas?

Back