Wah (t's) Going On? A Thread Celebrating The OG Effects Pedal.

I chatted up my friend Charlie at practice last week @FuzzyAce and we talked Wahs.
He had an Xotic on his board, and I asked him what else he had and he mentioned
the Voodoo Labs Whazoo.

I was like, "No way!"

He was like, "Way!"

We are going to do a Wah trade so I can check it out for a week or two. :beer

I chatted up my friend Charlie at practice last week @FuzzyAce and we talked Wahs.
He had an Xotic on his board, and I asked him what else he had and he mentioned
the Voodoo Labs Whazoo.

I was like, "No way!"

He was like, "Way!"

We are going to do a Wah trade so I can check it out for a week or two. :beer
Cool! I think you'll dig it. Just having the auto wah and sequencer make it very unique and a keeper for me. I don't use the auto wah a lot but you can change the way it attacks with the treadle and senstivity control. There's also an internal trim pot that sets the overall wah sweep globally I think. I maxed mine out pretty sure. Something to consider...
Have fun with it!:banana

Thanks for the heads up, FA! I am not into the Auto-Wah thing either. At that point
I am just going to go for an Envelope Filter/Follower.

I just thought it was kind of neat that you mentioned it, and then I found out a guy
living a few miles away has one. :idk

I believe the very first effect I tried out was my dad's crybaby. When engaged it picked up radio signals. A later one I had did as well, maybe it was a regional thing. On Sundays it picked up Jesus radio - made for some interesting Sunday punk shows.

I've had a few crybabies, a Vox, but I'm a basic bitch and can make anything work for me so wahs in multi-effects gear are what I've been using for the last 10 years.

One of my favorite things to do with a wah, besides the funk thing, is altering feedback frequencies

The two wahs I miss the most. I had a vertex wah I bought stupidly cheap after the scandal broke before trading for something else I no longer have anymore.
The Budda Wah hurts though. I gigged it for years and it always sounded stellar, I'd love another one.

I bought a broken Ltd edition Dunlop gcb95 in smoked chrome last year, when I work through enough of my build pile I'm going to gut it and build a ben wah clone with some sexy parts and a halo inductor.
View attachment 29060

View attachment 29061

And a change of plans thanks to @2112 and @Orvillain mentioning the Bud wah. I saw this on ebay this evening and couldn't resist.

1000067169.jpg

I was going to build a new wah but I miss my old bud wah enough that I'll just get a new one. Should be here by next Tuesday. I'll report back after I get it, I'm excited to see if it sounds as good as my old one.

Love me some wah, I’ve been through a lot of them though. Only two of them gave me what I was looking for. The Budda bud wah was really solid. The Teese RMC 10 is “it” though for me. It is the only one that really captures the vintage wah tones that I chased. It’s more dramatic than other wahs, in a good way IMO.

Outside of vintage tones, I like the wider pedal sweep modern designs that are more linear too. I just use those for different things. I don’t use either enough to put two wahs on a board. In digital rigs though, I like a combination of both sounds depending on the application.

I’m an outlier, but I also really love a wah that is AFTER the OD pedal.

D

May have had a BBE Ben Wah and Vertex Axis NOS Wah show up Friday. Yup, "New Old Stock."

:farley

:LOL:

I messed with both last night. Figured they will make a great conversation piece. :unsure:

Neither will dethrone the current King and Queen of Wahdom. For now. :beer

May have had a BBE Ben Wah and Vertex Axis NOS Wah show up Friday. Yup, "New Old Stock."

:farley

:LOL:

I messed with both last night. Figured they will make a great conversation piece. :unsure:

Neither will dethrone the current King and Queen of Wahdom. For now. :beer

Which wah is the current reigning champ?

I just tracked my Budda Wah this morning, I was hoping it would arrive tomrorow but it hasn't been scanned since Thursday. Slightly worried it's disappeared at the depot in England.

Which wah is the current reigning champ?

I just tracked my Budda Wah this morning, I was hoping it would arrive tomrorow but it hasn't been scanned since Thursday. Slightly worried it's disappeared at the depot in England.

Man, I hope your Wah makes it to you happy, healthy, and whole. :beer

I'll try and chime in later with more about Waht Wah. :LOL:

I bought a copper crybaby that i gigged with years and years ago. It was as shiny as a new penny when I got it and it has naturally oxidized over the years.

Nothing really special electronically. At least I don't think there is. It just looks neat and I doubt I'll ever sell it.

20240929_100250.jpg

20240929_100300.jpg

I bought a copper crybaby that i gigged with years and years ago. It was as shiny as a new penny when I got it and it has naturally oxidized over the years.

Nothing really special electronically. At least I don't think there is. It just looks neat and I doubt I'll ever sell it.

View attachment 29636
View attachment 29637

That's a cool looking wah. Copper finishes don't get used enough on pedals.

Thanks for the heads up, FA! I am not into the Auto-Wah thing either. At that point
I am just going to go for an Envelope Filter/Follower.

I just thought it was kind of neat that you mentioned it, and then I found out a guy
living a few miles away has one. :idk
Did you end up trying the Wahzoo? Funny, I used the auto-wah setting on my last track and dug it. It's a unique mode because if you put the treadle toe down it does the standard auto wah vibe, but heel down does a reverse sweep. An interest effect for sure. The sensitivity pot controls how much of the range opens up based on your attack.

Back