Video Games

It often gets the updates quicker and then add in the mod scene, it can get pretty expansive
I didn't even consider that Deck supported mods... Damn.

I'm dipping my toes into the handheld retro emulators with an Anbernic RG35xx and Retroid RP4 Pro. If I find I like handhelds enough, maybe it's time to finally cave on the Deck.

Played Baldur's Gate 3 when it was in early access, wasn't really my kind of game but now I'm playing properly, learned the logic of it. I'm enjoying it a lot, imo it totally deserved the game of the year title.

I'm in the first act still, spent 70 hours. I hear some people are spending hundreds of hours only for one act, crazy. Dunno what they achieve with that, trying every possible dialog outcomes?

Played Baldur's Gate 3 when it was in early access, wasn't really my kind of game but now I'm playing properly, learned the logic of it. I'm enjoying it a lot, imo it totally deserved the game of the year title.

I'm in the first act still, spent 70 hours. I hear some people are spending hundreds of hours only for one act, crazy. Dunno what they achieve with that, trying every possible dialog outcomes?
I was a huge fan of the earlier Bioware games, and the preceding Larian games, but BG3 was just a little too time-consuming for me. I think it would have helped if I understood the D&D 5th edition rules better. As it stands, I would have spent more time squinting at Google results than actually playing that game.

I finished Lies of P last night. WOW, what an amazing game. So glad I circled back and forced my way past that first boss fight.

I really think they struck a nice balance in terms of maintaining the classic Souls "all action" formula, but also telling the story in a more direct way. Much as I adore the From Soft Souls games, I'd always be mystified looking at Reddit comments, etc. where people derive these complex tales about the characters and lore. I'd be like, "You got all that from reading weapon stats??"

Anyway, spoilers:

I killed Black Cat and Red Fox for no better reason than I skipped over some dialog by mistake.

Laxasia was harder than Green Swamp guy IMO, but once I found out (full disclosure: Googled) I could ricochet lightning bolts at her face, good to go.

Simon Manus went down surprisingly easy. (As did most of the non-boss content IMO, compared with other Souls-likes.)

Kept my heart because Geppetto was being a weirdo. No regerts. But HOLY SHIT the 2nd phase of Nameless Puppet was ridiculous. I couldn't believe it when I actually finished him off. (Aegis was a game-changer; indispensable here.)

Pretty good run - and possibly my last one all the way to the end. (Some of those bosses I'd rather not bother with again.) Unfortunately I forgot to run back to the Pinocchio portrait and grab the Golden Lie weapon. Damn it!

(Maybe now I can actually "Do Something" for the so-called "Challenge". :D)

Been playing the FFVII Remake since Christmas and I think I'm about 2/3rds of the way through now.

It's funny how my enjoyment of the combat in this game is so dependant on my mood. If I'm tired or distracted then I find the battle system really aggravating because I'm doing poorly and get stuck in a loop: Get smacked by something -> waste a move by healing -> enemy does another attack -> then it snowballs out of control and feels awful trying to catch up.

But if I'm in the right mood for it, then I'm popping off moves at the right time -> swapping characters efficiently / exploiting weaknesses -> staggering enemies and I have way more fun because I'm doing well. Really exploiting all of the tools given to you is absolutely the right way to play. It's really not a good game for turning off your brain and expecting to win easily (for the harder fights anyway). That said, I'm not sure I would enjoy Hard mode. Maybe I'll give it a try just to see how bad I am once I finish this first playthrough. :rofl

Now I'm really looking forward to Rebirth, especially after seeing more of the recent footage. I thought the early previews looked pretty janky but thankfully the finished game looks much more polished and AAA. Square has gone WAY above my expectations with this one.

My wife got me the latest Zelda offering and I’ve been living in it. Last year I finally got around to starting (and beating) Breath of the Wild.

As someone who grew up playing Zelda on NES, SNES, and N64 I’m in awe of how Nintendo has represented that universe in these latest games. It’s what we used to ponder about as kids - what will these characters look like in 10-20 years. Well, here I am in my 40s enjoying the hell out of the experience.

There, I did it without giving away spoilers.

I wish there were a way to play the Zelda stuff on a non Nintendo console. That’s my OG favorite game that even made me interested in video games when I was like 6.

I need a break from guitar for a bit today, it’s raining and cold for South Florida so no snorkeling on my day off. My 2nd jump back into video games came about 12 years ago when a roommate bought a PS3 for shits and giggles and it had COD on it. I was aware of all the hoopla but had no interest in video games then until I loaded the game up to check it out. I enjoyed it quite a bit and my ex at the time ended up getting into it just as much, we followed all the releases for a few years.

I’m downloading MWIII now. Feels kinda weird buying that as I recall standing in line for it quite a while back. I generally dig the campaigns and then I’ll jump on multiplayer for a bit, remember that I’m lacking in COD skills, die a whole bunch and get sick of it. As long as this doesn’t have any of the dumbass rocket boots or “We’re basically robots now” aspects the last decade brought the COD games, I should hopefully enjoy it.

I wish there were a way to play the Zelda stuff on a non Nintendo console. That’s my OG favorite game that even made me interested in video games when I was like 6.

You can play them all on PC with emulators, with maybe the exception of the DS games

You can play them all on PC with emulators, with maybe the exception of the DS games
The issue there is that Nintendo has such unique control paradigms that you end up with really weird gameplay using anything but their remote. I had to dig out my old N64 controller and buy an adapter to make Ocarina make any sense playing it on the switch.

I suppose there are USB versions of the Nintendo controllers that you can map on a PC though.

The issue there is that Nintendo has such unique control paradigms that you end up with really weird gameplay using anything but their remote. I had to dig out my old N64 controller and buy an adapter to make Ocarina make any sense playing it on the switch.

I suppose there are USB versions of the Nintendo controllers that you can map on a PC though.

Switch Pro controller is a great option for PC overall but you're def right about the N64 games

I've seen some usb powered N64 knockoff controllers on amazon that might be cool

Started my first full level 1 (start as Wretch and never level up) Elden Ring playthru this weekend - just got past Fire Giant last night

Been easier than expected so far honestly, but Maliketh is gonna be pain for me

Started my first full level 1 (start as Wretch and never level up) Elden Ring playthru this weekend - just got past Fire Giant last night

Been easier than expected so far honestly, but Maliketh is gonna be pain for me
That “1 bro” stuff has always seemed insane to me. Mainly because it severely limits the weapons you can wield. Even with my 100’s of hours of souls experience, I’m pretty sure I couldn’t handle it. More importantly, I don’t think I’d enjoy it - kitting out a character with stats and loot is as much fun as the actual combat IMO.

That “1 bro” stuff has always seemed insane to me. Mainly because it severely limits the weapons you can wield. Even with my 100’s of hours of souls experience, I’m pretty sure I couldn’t handle it. More importantly, I don’t think I’d enjoy it - kitting out a character with stats and loot is as much fun as the actual combat IMO.

Yeah there are only a handful of weapons you can wield by default at level 1, but luckily in ER there are tons of stat boosting items

I've been maining the Broadsword and Dragon Halberd, but I'm about to pivot to Great Stars (made it to Godskin Duo last night and need the extra stagger power)

The most difficult part of the run is getting one-shot by basically any attack from any boss starting at Leyndell and beyond lol

The bubble tear shield physick is very helpful but of course that only absorbs a single hit

I've been struggling to find anything to play after Lies of P. Tough act to follow. I suppose I can hold out for June 21st. :nails
I really like Dying Light 2. It got some flack from those comparing it to the first one but they have improved and added a lot. With free updates often.

Back