Video Games

Finished Mario RPG already 😂 short game and def not worth $60 imo but still very well done and fun.

Trying what to do next, Pal World is not doing it for me despite being crowned as the game to end all games. I think I may try getting back into Elden Ring
I discovered Mario RPG through virtual console on the Wii. I loved it! Waiting for a good opportunity to pick it up on the switch.

I discovered Mario RPG through virtual console on the Wii. I loved it! Waiting for a good opportunity to pick it up on the switch.
It's such a fun game! I really wish it would have launched at $40 but I knew that wasn't going to happen with it being Nintendo. I did pick up their voucher for $100 and got both Mario Wonder and Mario RPG so I kinda got it for $40? 😂

The Deck fell off my radar, but the OLED version brought it back. If there are any Black Friday deals, I might jump on it.
My kids surprised the crap out of me and gave me a Steam Deck for Christmas....despite the ban on gifts for us. Stoopid kids never listen! :-)

It's the non-OLED model but I absolutely love it. I have very little time these days, but it's great to just wake it up and play a few minutes of Pac-Man 256. Yeah, hate to admit it, but that's my favorite game by far and the Deck is just the perfect form factor for it.

Love that I also have all my pinball sims on it....and Combat Mission for when I want to get tactical....And it's been cool just surfing Steam and discovering how diverse and creative video games have gotten.

I know battery life is a popular gripe, but I'm getting pretty decent mileage given that I prefer smaller arcade-y / retro type games in general.

And while I haven't done much with the desktop side of it yet, it was a breeze installing Reaper and Godot Engine and other apps of interest...I bought a small dock for that so I can use it with a monitor, etc.

Great value for the money -- and a very memorable Christmas gift!

It's such a fun game! I really wish it would have launched at $40 but I knew that wasn't going to happen with it being Nintendo. I did pick up their voucher for $100 and got both Mario Wonder and Mario RPG so I kinda got it for $40? 😂
Yeah, I still have a game left to claim on my voucher! I have other ideas though too, like Dragon Quest Monster. I still have a handful of games I haven’t beaten on Switch though…

Man, I was really speaking from a place of ignorance where Lies of P is concerned. (Jury is still out on Wo Long?) Lies of P is shamelessly derivative of the From games (Candle Maiden again? LOL), but neverthess - it's one of the finest games I've ever played! I wonder how many people will have (as I nearly did) bounce off that first boss and never play the rest of the game. Shame, as the difficulty and playstyle are much more balanced than that early encounter would suggest. Anyway...

Defeating the Eldest of the Dark Brotherhood with a fire axe while 4 or 5 other characters battled around us: Epic.

The White Lady cutting me down with her balletic sword fighting skills... until I returned to bash her over the head with a giant pipe wrench. Which I'd lit on fire: Priceless. :D

Finally took down the King of Puppets, and the game briefly took on a tone as if it were about to wrap up, and I actually got a bit depressed at the thought of not having something this good to play anymore. (Usually by this point, a couple dozen hours into a game, I'm starting to look forward to the end credits.) But it now it's looking like the game's just getting warmed up!
Champion Victor, aaaaaargh!

Finished Mario RPG already 😂 short game and def not worth $60 imo but still very well done and fun.

Trying what to do next, Pal World is not doing it for me despite being crowned as the game to end all games. I think I may try getting back into Elden Ring
You can never go wrong with more Elden Ring. :)

I never made it past the very first section. I need to sit down and actually give it a true shot
It takes a while (with any of those games) for all the systems to “gel”. Well worth the investment in time, though.

I have a PlayStation Portal incoming. Hoping it works well enough on my home wi-fi so I can treat it like a PlayStation version of the Switch and some more gaming time in.

The average console gamer can't see more than 60 fps, unless they're over at their friend's house.

:cop

My kids surprised the crap out of me and gave me a Steam Deck for Christmas....despite the ban on gifts for us. Stoopid kids never listen! :-)

It's the non-OLED model but I absolutely love it. I have very little time these days, but it's great to just wake it up and play a few minutes of Pac-Man 256. Yeah, hate to admit it, but that's my favorite game by far and the Deck is just the perfect form factor for it.

Love that I also have all my pinball sims on it....and Combat Mission for when I want to get tactical....And it's been cool just surfing Steam and discovering how diverse and creative video games have gotten.

I know battery life is a popular gripe, but I'm getting pretty decent mileage given that I prefer smaller arcade-y / retro type games in general.

And while I haven't done much with the desktop side of it yet, it was a breeze installing Reaper and Godot Engine and other apps of interest...I bought a small dock for that so I can use it with a monitor, etc.

Great value for the money -- and a very memorable Christmas gift!
I would really like to get one of those. I have a Nintendo Switch which I mostly use for travel, but I would really love to be able to play my PC favorites on handheld - even though there's compromise to get it all working.

I'm kinda waiting for a 2nd gen version of the Steam Deck though.

I have a PlayStation Portal incoming. Hoping it works well enough on my home wi-fi so I can treat it like a PlayStation version of the Switch and some more gaming time in.
I've never understood the point of that product. I can already stream the Playstation to my iPad, so what does the Portal add?

I've never understood the point of that product. I can already stream the Playstation to my iPad, so what does the Portal add?

I use remote play on my iPad/iPhone sometimes - main differences:
  • Faster start to play - everything is ready to go, wake the device, reconnect, start playing - this is good for me because sometimes I only have 15/20 minutes so I can play one race on GT7/F123 etc
  • Haptics/adaptive triggers are supported so you get all the same feedback you do on the console
  • Handheld (I have a phone/controller attachment but have an iPhone mini so the screen is too small for my eyes)
  • No need to deal with pairing/repairing controllers
That's about it really - I also factored in that I can use it as an extra controller in case we want to play any two player games (so mentally deducted the $70 controller cost for the once in a blue moon use).

If remote play worked on the Switch I don't think I'd want this - the other thing is that ergonomics are way better since it's basically a dual sense controller split in half, so better for longer sessions.

I would really like to get one of those. I have a Nintendo Switch which I mostly use for travel, but I would really love to be able to play my PC favorites on handheld - even though there's compromise to get it all working.

I'm kinda waiting for a 2nd gen version of the Steam Deck though.
I already had a Switch that I use almost exclusively for exercising. [Hey, it works for me! 40 lbs in two years, nearly all from video gaming...]

Love Nintendo (and looking forward to the Switch's successor), but if I was headed out the door for a trip I'd choose the Deck. Modern gaming....and a general-purpose computer....in a portable battery-powered handheld -- to me, it's just more versatile than the Switch. I hope Nintendo has taken notice of the Deck (and similar systems), because just putting a bigger screen on the their next system isn't going to be enough.

I already had a Switch that I use almost exclusively for exercising. [Hey, it works for me! 40 lbs in two years, nearly all from video gaming...]
What software were you running while exercising?

Asking for a friend who could stand to lose 40 lbs. :bag

Getting fit with video games. #lifehack

I thought about getting a treadmill to walk on during the onslaught of “why did you invite me to this meeting again” calls at work, but I’m too lazy to go through with it. :ROFLMAO:

Back