UPDATE: EVH comparison #3! Fender TMP update... not what I was expecting!

GuitarJon

Roadie
UPDATE: here is the requested EVH comparison (round 3):

Maybe you've seen my comparison video(s) of the Fender Tone Master Pro's officially licensed EVH models to my EVH tube amps? I didn't really like how the TMP sounded there so when this new update was released I was a little bit skeptical. However.... did Fender just really surprise me? Check this out:

Last edited:
As always, great work Jon !

Credit where credit is due ..... the Orange was to my ears, bang-on. The Soldano lacked a bit of low/mid bite and growl ..... but as its only the 30w its hard to compare to the model of the 100w.

What that Orange does show me is that *if* / *when* Fender decide to do it bang-on, they can do it.

The bodes very well for its future :)

Maybe they will -or have already re-done the amp algo's in this FW- but decided to not mention it ???? ... leave it to people / YT's to do the tests ????

Ben

Thanks guys! Fwiw: I love making videos like this WAY more than the other ones that I made of the unit. When gear sounds great it's just way more inspiring and fun! I REALLY wasn't expecting it to sound this good, but here we are! Well done Fender!

As I mentioned in the video, the IC's aren't perfect yet but I'm really glad they implemented it. Now I just can't wait for them to do more!

Last edited:
What that Orange does show me is that *if* / *when* Fender decide to do it bang-on, they can do it.

Only guessing of course, but I suspect that all the complaints and forum arguments concerning speaker impedence curves forced Fender to stop and look at SICs across the board. It's such a big difference that one has to wonder.

I'd like to hear the Plexi again now to see if it's any different; because in my mind, that's the true test.

Last edited:
The only issue I see with the SIC being in the cab block is if you run into a solid-state poweramp + guitar cab. You might want that SIC simulation even in that scenario and it seems the only way you can do it is using a cab block with a null IR.

Those were some of the best tones I've ever heard the TMP produce. The SLO model had some weird stuff happening in the mid range, but it still sounded close enough to the real amp in the mix that it was fine. The Orange was very close. The only thing I noticed was low end was a little fuzzy sounding on the TMP model. This is an encouraging result.

sounds much better now, albeit slightly stuffy and less exciting than the real amps. At least they actually sound like the amps they are supposed to. Curious if the SIC salvages the older models like Uber/Mark/Recto etc. Also curious if the SIC behaviours are different amp to amp (depending on how much NFB each amp has).

Step in the right direction, but does it sound better than something like Amplitube? probably on par from what I can tell (ASIDE FROM CONSISTENT INPUT LEVELS!!!).

The only issue I see with the SIC being in the cab block is if you run into a solid-state poweramp + guitar cab. You might want that SIC simulation even in that scenario and it seems the only way you can do it is using a cab block with a null IR.
There is a new External Cab option for no speaker in the speaker block that addresses that.

Fwiw: I also tried the EVH Red model with the new ICs and I still wasn't convinced. Didn't sound bad but as with the previous tests it still didn't sound like an EVH. In case anybody was wondering.... I'm not doing a comparison again of those models unless someone happens to send me a stealth ;)

Fwiw: I also tried the EVH Red model with the new ICs and I still wasn't convinced. Didn't sound bad but as with the previous tests it still didn't sound like an EVH. In case anybody was wondering.... I'm not doing a comparison again of those models unless someone happens to send me a stealth ;)
Did it still sound really muffled and having you make drastic tone control adjustments to match the real amp? Or was it much closer now with the new SIC selections, but just not “the same”

Did it still sound really muffled and having you make drastic tone control adjustments to match the real amp? Or was it much closer now with the new SIC selections, but just not “the same”

I only played with it a couple minutes but I'll spend more time with it. It just felt too slow and loose and not gainy enough. If you've played any EVH on the red channel you'll know what I mean. It sounds immediate with a strong attack in the mids and super tight lows. Didn't feel/hear that at all with the model but who knows, maybe I'll discover new things when I'm working on my new comparison ;)

Maybe you've seen my comparison video(s) of the Fender Tone Master Pro's officially licensed EVH models to my EVH tube amps? I didn't really like how the TMP sounded there so when this new update was released I was a little bit skeptical. However.... did Fender just really surprise me? Check this out:

cool vid thanx for taking the time

Back