Universe: "You just aren't a Marshall guy"

itchyfingers

Roadie
I've been primarily a Fender amp guy from Day One. BF, SF, Tweed, check. From a Pro Jr to a Twin Reverb, and everything in between. My current flavor is tweed, but my Vibrolux is falling short for gigs where I don't go thru the PA. I need a tweed on steroids. I was considering stepping up to a Bassman to retain some of that guitar-volume-control over the amp's gain, with a ton more headroom, but a buddy of mine convinced me to try another Marshall.

I started with a Henning, which is like a boosted JCM, but I'm definitely not a high gain or metal guy, so it was too much amp for me. I've had a DSL combo, but it was a little too "aggressive" in the upper mids and treble. I had a Bluesbreaker combo, but it was a little too "congested" and really only sounded great when everything was dimed. I want to add a Marshall to the stable, but haven't really found the one that suits me.

So I purchased this 79 JMP 50w, 2x12 combo, with somewhat rare fawn tolex, in a road case. Guy sent me a video, sounds like vintage rock and roll tones to me!

Thing was in PRISTINE condition for a 5 year old amp, let alone one that's over 40 years old. Was super excited to try it out when it landed, plugged the LP straight in, flip it on, no sound. Then a burning smell. Awesome, guess that shipment was a lil bumpy. No biggie, not my first vintage amp rodeo, so I took it to my guy. He says "bad power tube, based on your playing style I say we switch these 5881s to EL34s since you need new tubes anyway". He does a couple other easily reversible mods, notices a bunch of broken solder joints to fix, but then he gets no sound. Runs it out to his 4x12, says it sounds amazing. So he pops the hood and removes the speakers...

Says I need to file a claim with FedEx immediately. The amp appears to have fallen from a great height, most likely off a conveyer or off the back of a truck, and landed flat on its face, or the large side of the road case it was shipped in. Everything stopped when it hit the ground, except the voice coils which punched right through the paper cones. He's going to try and recone them, but there's a chance the baskets are warped and they can't be saved. Did I mention these were Rola Celestion Blackbacks? Yeah, they haven't made them for like 30 years.

At this point, there's a chance I get the amp back operational, but I'll never be able to recoup my costs if I sell it, and it'll never be the same amp it was when I bought it. I would certainly have to disclose the items that are no longer original if / when I sell it. After a few days of being locked out, I was able to file a claim with FedEx. I requested the full amount that the amp cost me, but it's only insured for a grand, and I have a feeling FedEx will try to weasel out of the claim regardless. Anyone have any experience with their claims department???

The whole thing stings and leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Considering turning this into a head and cab to save the miles on the combo and salvage this whole effort. I have some Creamback neos just sitting in the garage for such a project. :idk

I am taking this as a sign that the universe is telling me, "You're just not a Marshall guy"...

Man, I don't know what else to say aside from "That really sucks and I hope you get it sorted out with the best possible outcome".

That's just a massive bummer all around. I can't even fathom how I would react to that situation from a mental standpoint.

Mother of god. UGH :cuss :mad: Not sure even what to say. Other than shipping amps for really anyone seems to be absolute h#ll at this point. Mojo sent that you can get some sort of compensation to get it back up and running in a way that suits you.

Yeah man, I knew you guys would understand that IT SUCKS all around. I will definitely keep yall posted on what happens with the FedEx claim.

Did you buy off Reverb or...? Why did it only get insured for $1k? Seems like if it was Reverb; you could do a little prodding on that end as well. Ugh.

^Nope, private sale with a friend who used to be local, now lives in Hawaii. Not sure why only 1000, I'm guessing that was the max that FedEx would allow.
1000 is not the max they allow. However they don't call it insurance and redirect you when you call it that. It's "declared value" so maybe that's how they weasel out of it?

1000 is not the max they allow. However they don't call it insurance and redirect you when you call it that. It's "declared value" so maybe that's how they weasel out of it?
I thought the same exact thing dude! My shipper told me that the FedEx clerk said that $1000 was the max they would go for a musical instrument amplifier. I believe him, he knew what it cost since he’s the one who brokered the deal, but I think the clerk was wrong. We’ll see how his claim goes, I guess…

I thought the same exact thing dude! My shipper told me that the FedEx clerk said that $1000 was the max they would go for a musical instrument amplifier. I believe him, he knew what it cost since he’s the one who brokered the deal, but I think the clerk was wrong. We’ll see how his claim goes, I guess…
Yeah the clerk very well just could have been mistaken. I know for a fact you can make it over $1000. The only pro to Reverb anymore is using their shipping labels and secure shipping. I've only had one instance where my gear was trashed and they actually covered it.

I really hope this works out!

Mother of god. UGH :cuss :mad: Not sure even what to say. Other than shipping amps for really anyone seems to be absolute h#ll at this point. Mojo sent that you can get some sort of compensation to get it back up and running in a way that suits you.

This. What a bummer.

Back