Universal Audio UAFX Anti 1992 High Gain Pedal

You mean the post gain? I thought I read that it's in the app?
There’s a master volume/post gain control in the app, as well as a bias switch. @GuitarJon is going to show the behaviour of the MV at max and minimum settings and compare that to how the amp sounds with the master at low and high settings.

I hope, anyway, very interested to see what their poweramp modelling is like. Anyone who does that video first will get a big like and subscribe and comment from me.

You mean the post gain? I thought I read that it's in the app?
Yeah, Post Rhythm/Lead. My friends amp got two separate. Was a few years ago, but I remember that he used both to shape the response/feeling sorta.

Edit: he did change the 5150 to the larger one (6050?) later on, so I may have it mixed up :bag

The pedal doesn't sound bad, although not necessarily in my range of tones I'd typically use. Besides that, I've pretty much avoided UA as a whole for years because you have to buy into their ecosystem which is a turn off for me.

Yeah, Post Rhythm/Lead. My friends amp got two separate. Was a few years ago, but I remember that he used both to shape the response/feeling sorta.
Yeah the Peavey 5150s have a Post Gain knob which acts as a master volume. There's one knob for the rhythm channel and one for the lead channel. I'd think you could set that slider in the app where you want on a given preset so, assuming it's accurately modeled, it should have similar functionality to the amp.

The whole point of the video is that Henning gives me a rundown of most of the features of the pedal and I discover it on the spot. It's actually a lot of fun and tells you a lot about the pedal.
Jon, we’re all going to criticize that you did the video with Henning and Glenn, because even though there are plenty of other videos to watch, we like complaining, especially since you post here.

:rofl

Jon if you put out a video about this in the future I may watch even though I have zero interest in it because I like what you do. However I'm not gonna watch this one because I absolutely can't stand watching a video with Fricker in it. Can't do it.

This was my first time meeting Glenn and he's actually a very nice guy, fwiw. Anyway, his bit is at the very end.

$399

1724507931871.png

$399

1724508038696.png

Bet you $1K the Ceres would make the Anti cry for its mommy.

Who is it for?
It's quite expensive and a modeler will be much wiser choice for not much more.
I can understand the 350$+ price people pay for time based effects from Strymon and UA because they are top and useful for everything but a single high gain pedal for a minute of chug fun? I don't think the usual target audience (350$+ for a single pedal) will rush to buy this.
It's a hard pass from me, I have plethora of 5150 options to choose from already.

PS.
Not a fan of the geartube frenzy, I've seen it a thousand times, it's boring.
I don't envy the people who can't break away from the advertisement industry and google's paycheck, the trap of "easy money" for your soul.

Who is it for?
It's quite expensive and a modeler will be much wiser choice for not much more.
I can understand the 350$+ price people pay for time based effects from Strymon and UA because they are top and useful for everything but a single high gain pedal for a minute of chug fun? I don't think the usual target audience (350$+ for a single pedal) will rush to buy this.
It's a hard pass from me, I have plethora of 5150 options to choose from already.

PS.
Not a fan of the geartube frenzy, I've seen it a thousand times, it's boring.
I don't envy the people who can't break away from the advertisement industry and google's paycheck, the trap of "easy money" for your soul.
Took you long enough!

Henning taught me how to use this pedal but I'm very impressed! Also, what does Glenn think? :)

Watching this...the operation of the pedal is awkward as hell when you need toggle back and forth between Alt mode and normal to adjust the basic controls. UA could have put output level under alt because you likely need to adjust it the least. Or alternative Alt Low = resonance, Alt High = presence, and the presence knob is boost level.

There doesn't seem to be even a LED indicators for the different layer values.

This seems like a good pedal for people who are die hard high gain tube amp guys that want a direct solution but aren't interested in modelers. I think it's a cool idea, there's a ton of low to medium gain amp modeling pedals, but not many high gain. There's a lot of high gain amp in a box pedals, but not many with good cab simulation.

Like the rest of the UA line, I'm not that interested because I have modelers that do this type of thing, but if I were a die hard amp guy who just wanted an amp sim to use with a couple pedals, why not?

Also the UAD pedals draw 400ma at 9V so they're relatively easy to power on a small board. That's something to think about too (HX Stomp and Friedman IR-X draw about 1A each).

Also nice that they have a noise gate and boost built in. That's thoughtful.

I haven't heard this thing in person but I'm gonna guess it actually sounds pretty good. I'm only saying that because their other amp pedals seem very well received, no? If so, they probably are decent at this type of thing. Probably.

Regardless it still doesn't move the interest meter for me. It doesn't have features that I'd find desirable on something like this (such as MIDI). Even if it did...nah. I'm good. Apparently I'm becoming one of those guys who's "fine with what I have." I bet you didn't see that coming. Don't feel bad, neither did I.

Back