Uncle Larry speaks the truth!!

We should make it a rule that if you want to participate in a “tone is in the fingers“ thread you have to include a video of you typing the post with a gagball in your mouth with it.

Kinkyyyyyyyyy....

kinky tv land GIF by #Impastor

Guy is married with a family. Pandemic strikes. Has notion to start Youtube channel. Hmmm???
Seems innocuous enough.

Fast forward and the guy ends up divorced, and churns out more videos than ever.

Probably all just a coincidence.
Guess I should be glad I leave the tone to the gear and have my wife in my hands

Bukovac has more musicality in his pinky than most players will ever have in the entirety of their being…

I don’t know what percentage of tone is in the hands but I think it’s far higher than the vast majority of players realize. I wouldn’t quantify it, but if I did it wouldn’t be 99%. I’m just some dude though, he’s one of the best there is. I won’t argue with him…

D

How about this:

It’s not that gear doesn’t make a difference. It’s that gear is not nearly as important as we make it out to be.

Tom has a burst that might be worth six figures. But I guarantee you if I swapped him for my LP Tribute, 100 out of 100 people would still rather hear him play.

after feeling a little sh*tty about my comment, I poked around on his page a little. He plays well.

Hes not THAT much better than me and I'm still married, so....I'd still rather be me.

Damn now I made another comment to feel sh*tty about.
You must be really good. I’d like to hear your playing. Have you released anything?

Link to his website is in Bruce's signature.
Signatures must not show up in Safari on an iPhone.

Edit: Found it… a cursory listen. Yeah Bruce is a good player. Buk is more my tastes and for my tastes better but Bruce definitely has chops.

Ahhh... yeah, this came up the other day. On small screens, this forum's stylesheet hides sigs to reduce clutter (it's a feature!). I forget that not everybody is reading on a larger screen.

Sigs appear if you turn your phone sideways, for a wide view.

Edit: Found it… a cursory listen. Yeah Bruce is a good player. Buk is more my tastes and for my tastes better but Bruce definitely has chops.
awww shucks man, thanks. You humble me.

I was attempting to be a little humorous but divorce isn't funny. It sucks. Im on wife #2 now and I hope we die old and together. Wait.......we are already old! Hope Uncle Larry keeps his chin up thru it all. It's a rough ride.

We should make it a rule that if you want to participate in a “tone is in the fingers“ thread you have to include a video of you typing the post with a gagball in your mouth.

Okay, video's all done!

I uh... I got way more into it and carried away than I expected. Things got a little um... messy.

You still sure you want me to post this?

Last edited:
“99% of tone is in the hands” is an argument as old as the guitar forums but when one of Nashville’s top session guys says it….. there’s some weight to it. I’ve personally practically had the exact same experience he described with a guitar, amp, and cab and two of my guitar playing buddies… the tone changed when each one of us took a turn and we were all pretty much at the same level of musicianship and same pick so those factors weren’t at play.

I agree 99% but in the way he says that there are inescapable aspects of acoustic guitar I think there are a very few but still some for electric guitar too. The biggest being a humbucker or a single coil. A distorted single coil has an element in it's dna that almost always gets through. The other on is a clean Blackguard through a fender amp with the treble up. There is a tone that I don't think you could get from a Les Paul right there.
Interesting though how these guys still take ALL the gear to work. Basically he is right though.

Back