UAFX Enigmatic

IMG_2131.gif

Absolutely agree. The one thing I took issue with was the "objective" part.

I've went through the whole Dumble/Ford thing. I have not and probably will never buy a real Dumble. But I got a Two Rock, Ceriatone and a Zendrive.

For me the GSG isn't really a great representation of the type of tone I want and expect from this style of amp. Even considering the amp doesn't go for the particular type of amp inside the Dumble universe I particularly prefer, there are certain characteristics I expect that I just don't see in this particular model.

On Helix IMO the Litigator is a better representation of Dumble thing, and just a better sounding model overall.
I prefer the gsg over the litigator personally. The litigator is too brittle. The gsg is so smooth. But my idea of what a dumble is supposed to sound like is probably not that accurate.

It’s been a while, I’m going to mess with the litigator again.

Edit - well i take it back. Doesn’t sound brittle at all. I probably had it paired with the wrong cab/ir. Sounds pretty damn good actually.

Last edited:
I prefer the gsg over the litigator personally. The litigator is too brittle. The gsg is so smooth. But my idea of what a dumble is supposed to sound like is probably not that accurate.

It’s been a while, I’m going to mess with the litigator again.

Edit - well i take it back. Doesn’t sound brittle at all. I probably had it paired with the wrong cab/ir. Sounds pretty damn good actually.
Aristocrat is a happy medium between the other 2.

So, from what I gather, all usability issues aside for now, once you buy, say, 3 of their pedals, you're already in the realm of whatever other top tier modelers. Then, to actually make decent use of UADs pedals, you will likely need a loop switcher in addition. Plus some more FX. Plus maybe some dirt boxes. Then add a pedalboard and case to the picture. In the end, you'd easily spend 2k on such a board (and with just 2k it'd possibly be pretty simple).
I should possibly add that I absolutely like a WYSIWYG environment, so I could understand that as being an important point. But these pedals aren't WYSIWYG by any means. Even in case you wouldn't use presets, due to their double parameter pots, WYSIWYG goes outta the window the moment you adjust any "alt" parameters.
So, in the end, I just don't get it. Are these pedals really *that* much better than the competition? The only one I tried out myself was the Ruby and I didn't like it too much - but admittedly, I'm not a Vox guy. Anyhow, it didn't sound all that special, not even when played by its owner, a Vox enthusiast (fwiw, I like Vox amps often when others are playing them).
As said, I don't get it. Well, maybe for a very simple setup, I do. But for anything else this seems to be a huge black money hole.

So, from what I gather, all usability issues aside for now, once you buy, say, 3 of their pedals, you're already in the realm of whatever other top tier modelers. Then, to actually make decent use of UADs pedals, you will likely need a loop switcher in addition. Plus some more FX. Plus maybe some dirt boxes. Then add a pedalboard and case to the picture. In the end, you'd easily spend 2k on such a board (and with just 2k it'd possibly be pretty simple).
I should possibly add that I absolutely like a WYSIWYG environment, so I could understand that as being an important point. But these pedals aren't WYSIWYG by any means. Even in case you wouldn't use presets, due to their double parameter pots, WYSIWYG goes outta the window the moment you adjust any "alt" parameters.
So, in the end, I just don't get it. Are these pedals really *that* much better than the competition? The only one I tried out myself was the Ruby and I didn't like it too much - but admittedly, I'm not a Vox guy. Anyhow, it didn't sound all that special, not even when played by its owner, a Vox enthusiast (fwiw, I like Vox amps often when others are playing them).
As said, I don't get it. Well, maybe for a very simple setup, I do. But for anything else this seems to be a huge black money hole.
Do you think the sort of people who buy these are looking to eventually have the same features as a Helix or an Axe FX?

Nobody is going to have more than 2 of these in use at once, the whole point is that you DON’T have a bazillion amps in one. They’re going after the people who don’t want all the options of a fully fledged modeller.

The people that love them claim nothing else even comes close. That’s the kind of hyperbole that makes me skeptical. I watched YouTube vids where people made the hx stomp and Strymon iridium sound identical to the dream and ruby. But maybe it’s all “feel”. I don’t know and may never know unless somebody lets me borrow one.

Do you think the sort of people who buy these are looking to eventually have the same features as a Helix or an Axe FX?

Nah, of course not - but I'm really wondering because the entire concept kinda escapes me. I mean, WYSIWYG is great. Compromising it in favour of using presets (such as with, say, the Strymon Iridium) is something I still understand. But pretending to be WYSIWYG without ever actually managing pretty much by default (especially with the Enigmatic that seems to be more true than ever before as there's some pretty relevant parameters only accessible via "alt"), well, that just escapes me.

That’s the kind of hyperbole that makes me skeptical.

Same here.
Maybe I will one day try some of them out in whatever shops. I'm really curious because so far I haven't heard anything truly exceptional. Sure, they sound good to great - but all top tier contenders do so today.

Back