Tough band decision

Bob Zaod

Rock Star
I think I mentioned this before but I don't know. Our bass player is moving hours away. Probably the best bass player we've ever had in the 10 years we've been doing this BAND. Not just on a talent level but we've become very good friends.

Luckily we have a few prospects that are vying for the spot.

One of them is very plugged in to the music scene out here and most likely just by himself could really boost our draw at gigs. He's not a very good bass player but most likely good enough to learn the songs we need him to learn. He's also a bit of a drunk and was the band leader in his last band.

One we've already decided is not going to make the cut. He was making some demands that we're not comfortable with before we even brought him down for an audition.

Then we come to the one that I am leaning towards. Fantastic player, very studied, has a great look. We hit it off on a personal level fairly quick. He also has great availability.

I guess I am technically the band leader so pretty much what I say goes but it's never just cut and dried I always consult my wife and the other band members first.

The band leader in me says the guy that can boost our draw would be the smartest pick. The musician in me says pick the guy who is a great musician and I get along with really well.

Yeah it's a paid hobby but this is pretty important to me.

Based on the info I have given you WWYD?

The better musician, definitely.

Not just for the obvious reason. If your main takeaway with the other guy is "bit of a drunk", that's likely to become a PITA sooner or later - and possibly even impact on his "plugged into the scene" benefit over the long term. The better muso has a good look, and is personable enough that you hit it off... These things will boost your draw as well.

If you need someone strictly to boost your draw, guy #1 sounds fine. If you aren't playing difficult stuff and your focus is to book book book. Otherwise I am with MBenigni and guy #3 is the way to go.

If you need someone strictly to boost your draw, guy #1 sounds fine. If you aren't playing difficult stuff and your focus is to book book book. Otherwise I am with MBenigni and guy #3 is the way to go.
Yeah almost every local rock based cover band out here needs every body they can get at gigs. The DJ's and Country bands get the most draw out here it's not even close. We're pretty good at keeping people who are already there but more draw would be nice.

I may try to have both players down multiple times before making a decision. See if any red flags pop up.

Yeah almost every local rock based cover band out here needs every body they can get at gigs. The DJ's and Country bands get the most draw out here it's not even close. We're pretty good at keeping people who are already there but more draw would be nice.

I may try to have both players down multiple times before making a decision. See if any red flags pop up.
You know what to do
:clint :rofl

LOL If those things are inferring I play country, I'd rather stay home. I mean we have a couple semi-country songs and one Johnny Cash song. Thats enough.
When he wrote "you know what to do" I missed the emoji and just figured he meant "#3".

P.S. Semi-country songs are worse than country songs. By a country mile. :D

I think I mentioned this before but I don't know. Our bass player is moving hours away. Probably the best bass player we've ever had in the 10 years we've been doing this BAND. Not just on a talent level but we've become very good friends.

Luckily we have a few prospects that are vying for the spot.

One of them is very plugged in to the music scene out here and most likely just by himself could really boost our draw at gigs. He's not a very good bass player but most likely good enough to learn the songs we need him to learn. He's also a bit of a drunk and was the band leader in his last band.

One we've already decided is not going to make the cut. He was making some demands that we're not comfortable with before we even brought him down for an audition.

Then we come to the one that I am leaning towards. Fantastic player, very studied, has a great look. We hit it off on a personal level fairly quick. He also has great availability.

I guess I am technically the band leader so pretty much what I say goes but it's never just cut and dried I always consult my wife and the other band members first.

The band leader in me says the guy that can boost our draw would be the smartest pick. The musician in me says pick the guy who is a great musician and I get along with really well.

Yeah it's a paid hobby but this is pretty important to me.

Based on the info I have given you WWYD?
Before I read any responses I'll say

NEVER PICK THE GUY WITH ALCOHOL ISSUES.

EVER!!!!

The better player. It makes the whole thing more worthwhile to me. Plus, if he helps elevate the band, a better draw should naturally follow, I'd think.

Back