Tone X Capture Thread

hopefully i’m preaching to the choir here, but knowing the dBu level you are capturing at makes a HUGE difference on others hearing the tones as you intended.

check Freemans thread about how to do it, or follow this video:

hopefully i’m preaching to the choir here, but knowing the dBu level you are capturing at makes a HUGE difference on others hearing the tones as you intended.

check Freemans thread about how to do it, or follow this video:

I guess the question I have then, is does it make sense to get one of IK’s interfaces that have the “guitar reamp out” on it already?

I guess the question I have then, is does it make sense to get one of IK’s interfaces that have the “guitar reamp out” on it already?
IMO, no because they use some wack ass levels for their reamp output (different values for different interfaces, and none that match to the ToneX HW anyway). At least one of IK’s dedicated interfaces sends a really low reamp signal too that’ll make gainstaging a pain). IK should have used a consistent dBu input and output across all their devices and plugins and then there’s no ambiguity.

Your reamp box is perfectly fine - your best bet is to measure your signal level (either with a multimeter, or if not, into an instrument input of a known value). If you include the value you’re set up for, anyone can adjust their input level to match. The D/A dBu output level will be equally important as the reamp box for providing a healthy signal to your amp. Hopefully your interface and reamp box have enough room to pump out a loud signal.

If you can aim for 10-14dBu I think you’ll be in the ballpark for most people without having to adjust too much.

IMO, no because they use some wack ass levels for their reamp output (different values for different interfaces, and none that match to the ToneX HW anyway). At least one of IK’s dedicated interfaces sends a really low reamp signal too that’ll make gainstaging a pain). IK should have used a consistent dBu input and output across all their devices and plugins and then there’s no ambiguity.

Your reamp box is perfectly fine - your best bet is to measure your signal level (either with a multimeter, or if not, into an instrument input of a known value). If you include the value you’re set up for, anyone can adjust their input level to match. The D/A dBu output level will be equally important as the reamp box for providing a healthy signal to your amp. Hopefully your interface and reamp box have enough room to pump out a loud signal.

If you can aim for 10-14dBu I think you’ll be in the ballpark for most people without having to adjust too much.
Cool. Certainly cheaper to get a digital multimeter than it is to buy yet another interface. Thanks!

I have the Axe I/O and the reamp output is too weak to be anywhere close of what the guitar would put out to the amp. Also impedance is 100 Ohm which is not really close to what a pickup would have as resistance. The blue Radial has 1,8KOhm which is a bit closer, the JCR has 4.8KOhm which is even closer. The Palmer is 100KOhm which is a bit high. Not sure if that makes a huge difference, but the Axe I/O 100 Ohm doesn't seem a perfect match for a 1MegOhm Amp input.

A friend is gonna get the Tonex Capture box, which I'm pretty sure is better, we'll see.

I have the Axe I/O and the reamp output is too weak to be anywhere close of what the guitar would put out to the amp. Also impedance is 100 Ohm which is not really close to what a pickup would have as resistance. The blue Radial has 1,8KOhm which is a bit closer, the JCR has 4.8KOhm which is even closer. The Palmer is 100KOhm which is a bit high. Not sure if that makes a huge difference, but the Axe I/O 100 Ohm doesn't seem a perfect match for a 1MegOhm Amp input.

A friend is gonna get the Tonex Capture box, which I'm pretty sure is better, we'll see.
Let me know what he finds. I’m back to being really frustrated with this. While I’ve not yet had a chance to pick up the multimeter I’m borrowing to follow the video @MirrorProfiles linked, I asked Mongillo19 to try out my caps, and they’re totally different for him than they are for me.

In fact, it doesn’t sound like they’re the same gain levels as even the clips on tone.net are.

This is kinda deflating.

Let me know what he finds. I’m back to being really frustrated with this. While I’ve not yet had a chance to pick up the multimeter I’m borrowing to follow the video @MirrorProfiles linked, I asked Mongillo19 to try out my caps, and they’re totally different for him than they are for me.

In fact, it doesn’t sound like they’re the same gain levels as even the clips on tone.net are.

This is kinda deflating.
he sent me some captures today. he is happy. no level issues. Real bummer about the Axe I/O but the Tonex Capture works very well it seems. He says plenty of headroom for more if he'd like.

he sent me some captures today. he is happy. no level issues. Real bummer about the Axe I/O but the Tonex Capture works very well it seems. He says plenty of headroom for more if he'd like.
Hmmm. I guess I could try that. I think the measurement things MirrorProfiles discussed still come into play though, since there’s the variable of the interface being used.

Jack Nicholson Hair GIF by MOODMAN

I wish they’d just come out with a USB box that’s got the proper everything, just for captures, and voila. I get using the computer for the training; that makes a lot of sense. But gimme something that’s got the shit set all ready to go, like a Kemper or Quad Kotex Maxi

I adjusted the levels on my interface until I was getting just below the Red dot in the Tonex program. Maxing out the three Yellow dots when testing with guitar and also the autoplay feature. It always worried me that the input wouldn't / didn't exactly match the real guitar input but in the end by matching the levels it always sounded as good.

I wish they’d just come out with a USB box that’s got the proper everything, just for captures, and voila. I get using the computer for the training; that makes a lot of sense. But gimme something that’s got the shit set all ready to go, like a Kemper or Quad Kotex Maxi
Yep, and the same goes for Amplitube which also has no real concrete information on what input levels to use for an accurate response. We're in 2023 and they still want us to guess this stuff (despite IK advertising accurate gain levels as a defining feature of their products).
I adjusted the levels on my interface until I was getting just below the Red dot in the Tonex program. Maxing out the three Yellow dots when testing with guitar and also the autoplay feature. It always worried me that the input wouldn't / didn't exactly match the real guitar input but in the end by matching the levels it always sounded as good.

This is what IK advises but everyone is using different pickups, hits the strings with a different ideas of what picking hard is and have pickups at all kinds of distances. I can just about clip a 14dBu input, but for some people 7dBu (or less) is fine. 12dBu seems to be a good ballpark for IK's levels, aside from the fact that some of their own devices have a value of -6dBu. It works well for individual setups and can result in pretty accurately gain matched models, but as soon as someone else tries them it goes out the window. Measuring and providing numbers gives repeatability and consistency for everyone.

I stumbled on this thread with some contributions from @yeky83 talking about the incredibly weak reamp signal level - how he managed to remain calm when dealing with such a condescending tone from others in there is beyond me. He was the only one talking in facts, using specified values and backing up what he was saying. Absolutely staggering way to be talked to from a company representative.

https://gearspace.com/board/product-alerts-older-than-2-months/1246236-ik-multimedia-unveils-axe-i-o-premium-audio-interface-7.html

Man, the IK team was beyond useless in that thread. I agree with @yeky83’s findings. I haven’t been able to get a good reamp level signal out of my Axe IO.

Yeah I understood about 5% of it, but a couple people seemed to go out of their way to avoid what he was talking about, while throwing a tantrum.

I stumbled on this thread with some contributions from @yeky83 talking about the incredibly weak reamp signal level - how he managed to remain calm when dealing with such a condescending tone from others in there is beyond me. He was the only one talking in facts, using specified values and backing up what he was saying. Absolutely staggering way to be talked to from a company representative.

https://gearspace.com/board/product-alerts-older-than-2-months/1246236-ik-multimedia-unveils-axe-i-o-premium-audio-interface-7.html
Blast from the past! Yeah it was not fun to have a company rep gaslight me (as if I had insulted him by quoting their own product specs) then sic their fanboy at me, all the while misinforming everyone on the thread about the product he's supposed to be supporting, thanks IK Peter! I'm glad I behaved myself in that occasion, it's not always the case :bag

Back