Time for a new amp?: Mesa Mark V or SLO Astro

SLO Astro or Mesa Mrak V

• Total voters
I know this isn’t the right way to look at it, but because of Soldano spending YEARS as pushing the SLO as a flagship and providing few other products (all basically derived from the SLO circuit), anything Soldano that isn’t an SLO to me just feels like “poor man’s SLO”.

I certainly don’t want to spend the money on an SLO, so maybe an Astro would tickle my pickle. But I feel like I’d have that feeling of “if I could afford it I’d have the SLO”.
That and that the Astro is a Youtube Amp™ that has nothing to do with Soldano.

:columbo

"Ya see, what I don't quite get.... well, hasn't any new amp from every major (and even quite a few minor) brands released the past 2-3 years been a Youtube Amp™?"

There's really no more magazines where these guys can spend their marketing $$ on full page ads. Youtube videos from well known gear reviewers ARE the new magazines.

Seriously, raise your hand if you either have a subscription to or regularly purchase any guitar magazines to get your new gear info - online subscriptions don't count.

rob riggle raise hand GIF by Team Coco

Premier Guitar. :beer

:columbo

"Ya see, what I don't quite get.... well, hasn't any new amp from every major (and even quite a few minor) brands released the past 2-3 years been a Youtube Amp™?"

There's really no more magazines where these guys can spend their marketing $$ on full page ads. Youtube videos from well known gear reviewers ARE the new magazines.

Seriously, raise your hand if you either have a subscription to or regularly purchase any guitar magazines to get your new gear info - online subscriptions don't count.
I don't really think there's a reason for this amp to have been built ... and for most new amps to be built. There's nothing new under the sun in this domain. What had to be "said" has been said years ago... but that's just how I see it.

You figure all these guys should just retire and close up their Engineering & Design operations?

I'm loving my Astro as are just about everyone who spends any time with one - even long time SLO owners.

Man, there's one in every crowd..... :LOL:

debbie-downer-icegif-4.gif
It's not like what I think will affect them in any way. All I'm saying is the Astro will always be compared to the Slo and not the other way around, for example. The Slo and the Astro came to be due to entirely different reasons in entirely different worlds. That won't stop people from liking them though.

I know this isn’t the right way to look at it, but because of Soldano spending YEARS as pushing the SLO as a flagship and providing few other products (all basically derived from the SLO circuit), anything Soldano that isn’t an SLO to me just feels like “poor man’s SLO”.

I certainly don’t want to spend the money on an SLO, so maybe an Astro would tickle my pickle. But I feel like I’d have that feeling of “if I could afford it I’d have the SLO”.

I’d feel the same with a Hot Rod or Avenger. and likewise with a Jet City, or SLO Clone. They’re all options if you don’t want to chuck £4k at a caveman amp (shared EQ, 2 channels etc). Given how good Jet City’s can sound, I’d scoop the Mark V and a JCA100HDM. Failing that, good SLO clones can be picked up for £1000-1500 here. I’d sooner grab one of those over an Astro (or £4k on a real Soldano).
There are people who prefer e.g the HR over the SLO because the HR is a bit more Marshall-ish.

The funny thing is that people who buy the SLO-30 will likely also feel like they should have bought the "real deal" SLO-100. Soldano has certainly done a good job pushing the SLO-100 as the Soldano to own.

Their product lineup is now a bit strange, like how is the Astro 20 cheaper the SLO-30 when it comes with a good chunk more features? Seems like a lot of name premium at play. I'd go for the Astro because it's a more practical feature set.

I'm getting a little cold feet with the Mark V. Not because of what amp to get but now I'm being told there are some noise issues, it's probably just the guitar jack, wiring in house is old.

These could all be true.....buttttt

😬

Snagged a SLO 30 off ol reverb for a killer price. I know the Astro was recommended by some on here but I want the SLO sound and honestly, I don't care about versatility. Not saying the astro can't but just knowing myself I'd always wonder what the 30 was like with the bigger tubes and SLO name.

This isn't discounting the Astro at all! I very well may have made the wrong choice but I expect to be very happy 😎

And the Mark V is still slated for Saturday pickup. I'll have my stable of amps and I'm done there. AND I MEAN IT. I felt foolish enough having 2 😂

So the lineup will be 5153, Badlander, Mark V, SLO 30

Snagged a SLO 30 off ol reverb for a killer price. I know the Astro was recommended by some on here but I want the SLO sound and honestly, I don't care about versatility. Not saying the astro can't but just knowing myself I'd always wonder what the 30 was like with the bigger tubes and SLO name.

This isn't discounting the Astro at all! I very well may have made the wrong choice but I expect to be very happy 😎

And the Mark V is still slated for Saturday pickup. I'll have my stable of amps and I'm done there. AND I MEAN IT. I felt foolish enough having 2 😂

So the lineup will be 5153, Badlander, Mark V, SLO 30

This is how its done!!! The SLO30s are badass, congrats!!

Don't forget about the ceriatone though, and perhaps something sporty and german to really round things out

Back