Time for a new amp?: Mesa Mark V or SLO Astro

SLO Astro or Mesa Mrak V

• Total voters

Mongillo19

Rock Star
Looking at getting either a Mesa Mark V 90w local for $1500 or the SLO Astro has my interest. The Mark V seems so versatile while having great tones. I've had a Mark IV before and loved it.

The SLO has my attention due to the almost constant stellar reviews. My current amps are a EL34 5153 and Badlander.

I'm leaning the Mark V but curious to hear all your opinions.

OK. I've switched my vote to the Mesa. No sense in projecting my wants on a fellow musician.

Seems like you want the V, and the Astros will probably be more prevalent in the used market in the near future.

Good luck with your decision.

Last edited:
I just gave my son-in-law my Mesa Mark V:25 because since getting the Astro, I'd stopped using it.

Not only is the red channel the classic SLO smooth but roaring lead tones, but the clean is great and then both blue and purple are just gradual steps down from red. Blue is 70s classic rock while Purple is more stock JCM800 and then Red takes it to SLO/Modded Marshall zone.

Love how it works together with the foot switch too. Pick a switch then set the channel and galaxy you want then toggle save. Done.
Right now my switches are set up:

1 - green clean channel 1
2 - blue on channel 3
3 - purple on channel 2
4 - red on channel 3

Channels 2 and 3 are identically voiced so it's more a case of mixing and matching gain/volume to taste.
I have 2 with less gain than 3 which works best with the footswitch positions 2 and 3.

* The knob settings themselves are not saved with the switch assignments via the front panel SAVE function.
Not sure if it can be done via midi.

I don't use either the PC interface or IR parts of it so no comments there.

Conclusion: We all know Boogies. Tweak the weird EQ till you find a sweet spot and then LEAVE IT ALONE!!!!
Totally not that way with the Astro. I'm constantly fiddling with the gain and tone stack depending on my moods.

You get the classic SLO thing along with a nice pristine clean (which an SLO really doesn't do) and then two flavors of killer crunch.
Not to mention all of the modern additions via midi, USB, and the IR stuff.

two-cents_orig.jpg

I just gave my son-in-law my Mesa Mark V:25 because since getting the Astro, I'd stopped using it.

Not only is the red channel the classic SLO smooth but roaring lead tones, but the clean is great and then both blue and purple are just gradual steps down from red. Blue is 70s classic rock while Purple is more stock JCM800 and then Red takes it to SLO/Modded Marshall zone.

Love how it works together with the foot switch too. Pick a switch then set the channel and galaxy you want then toggle save. Done.
Right now my switches are set up:

1 - green clean channel 1
2 - blue on channel 3
3 - purple on channel 2
4 - red on channel 3

Channels 2 and 3 are identically voiced so it's more a case of mixing and matching gain/volume to taste.
I have 2 with less gain than 3 which works best with the footswitch positions 2 and 3.

* The knob settings themselves are not saved with the switch assignments via the front panel SAVE function.
Not sure if it can be done via midi.

I don't use either the PC interface or IR parts of it so no comments there.

Conclusion: We all know Boogies. Tweak the weird EQ till you find a sweet spot and then LEAVE IT ALONE!!!!
Totally not that way with the Astro. I'm constantly fiddling with the gain and tone stack depending on my moods.

You get the classic SLO thing along with a nice pristine clean (which an SLO really doesn't do) and then two flavors of killer crunch.
Not to mention all of the modern additions via midi, USB, and the IR stuff.

two-cents_orig.jpg
This us exactly why I've been GAS'n for an Astro. Thanks @Achilles :facepalm

I wouldn't think about this too long. If you know what I mean, Josh. :LOL:

Not that there is all that much to consider here. :beer
I know what you mean 😀 I could meet sooner but the guy seems really cool (he just sent me a 12 min video of going through every mode and switch on the thing he recorded specifically for me). A testament to it's versatility, he uses it as a clean amp and a pedal platform lol and it sounds great!

I also don't feel like driving 2 hours

Back