Time for a new amp?: Mesa Mark V or SLO Astro

SLO Astro or Mesa Mrak V

• Total voters
Homie coming in off the top rope…

200.gif
Do you ever miss your SLO 30??

There are so many great sounds in that amp. That you can go from a cool ass Tweed
in Class A at 10watts to a raging 90watt max headroom MKIV or IIC+ mode is kind of
hard to wrap my head around, and it does that and so much more. $1500 is bonkers!

I think the mark V sounds wonderful. As I mentioned, the guy was basically using it as a clean pedal platform, which makes 0 sense to me, but I worked!

It seems to be a monster of an amp. The SLO will still be on my list but perhaps down the road

Mark V cleans and built in reverb is pretty stellar IMO.

I bought a 2012 Mark V off of Reverb for $1500 in 2017. Had it for about 8 months and foolishly traded it for a powered Kemper Rack.
About a year later I messaged the guy I traded it to and asked him if he wanted to sell it back to me, which he did for the same $1500.

Haven't thought about getting rid if it ever since.

Can they be a pain in the ass to dial in... yes.
Are there a shit ton of different options... yes.

If you want to spend a little time and get a stellar tone it's a great amp for that. If you just want to plug in and twist 4-5 knobs and be set... not so much.

If you want to spend a little time and get a stellar tone it's a great amp for that. If you just want to plug in and twist 4-5 knobs and be set... not so much.
It can't be more difficult or more of a rabbit hole than fractal right? 😂

I have two very set and forget amps in the Badlander and 5153, I'm all for something a little more involved and versatile!

I know this isn’t the right way to look at it, but because of Soldano spending YEARS as pushing the SLO as a flagship and providing few other products (all basically derived from the SLO circuit), anything Soldano that isn’t an SLO to me just feels like “poor man’s SLO”.

I certainly don’t want to spend the money on an SLO, so maybe an Astro would tickle my pickle. But I feel like I’d have that feeling of “if I could afford it I’d have the SLO”.

I’d feel the same with a Hot Rod or Avenger. and likewise with a Jet City, or SLO Clone. They’re all options if you don’t want to chuck £4k at a caveman amp (shared EQ, 2 channels etc). Given how good Jet City’s can sound, I’d scoop the Mark V and a JCA100HDM. Failing that, good SLO clones can be picked up for £1000-1500 here. I’d sooner grab one of those over an Astro (or £4k on a real Soldano).

The Mark V IS a flagship amp. Even if you owned a IIC+ or any other desirable Mark variant, the V is valid side by side and has its own strengths.

Last edited:
Back