Thinking of trading my Quad Cortex toward this… (Silver Sky content)

TubeStack

Rock Star
Please talk me up / down… :love

eyJidWNrZXQiOiJwcnNpbWFnZXMiLCJrZXkiOiJndWl0YXItaW1hZ2VzL3NpbHZlci1za3ktcm94eS1waW5rLWdhbGxlcnktMjAyMS0xLmpwZyIsImVkaXRzIjp7ImpwZWciOnsicXVhbGl0eSI6ODIsInByb2dyZXNzaXZlIjp0cnVlLCJ0cmVsbGlzUXVhbnRpc2F0aW9uIjp0cnVlLCJvdmVyc2hvb3REZXJpbmdpbmciOnRydWUsIm9wdGltaXplU2NhbnMiOnRydWV9LCJyZXNpemUiOnsid2lkdGgiOjE2MDAsImhlaWdodCI6ODAwLCJmaXQiOiJjb3ZlciJ9LCJzaGFycGVuIjp0cnVlfX0=

Some background:

- there is a Roxy Pink SS in stock about 20 min away from me
- I can take the QC to trade towards the SS and get about the same $ I would selling the QC
- there's also a Frost white SS in stock about 15 min away, however they're not open today

Regarding possibly moving/trading the QC:

- I've really enjoyed the Quad Cortex and have no real issues with it, other than the delays being generally uninspiring; captures are amazing, drives and modulation are great, amp models are very good to great, form factor and UI is fantastic
- however, I seem to be reaching the end of my yearly "let's dig deep into a modeler and see just how good it can be" odyssey and returning to just using my tube amp + using digital units for effects-only
- (actually realizing now that this is how I survive Canadian winters? ie. hunker down with a digital device in my basement and explore everything I can with it, haha)

- I've moved to a Stomp + HX One 4cm setup on a Metro 20 and love it
- for me and how I use modellers, ie. experimenting with models/captures at home and sometimes with my band, but mostly using it for effects in 4cm with my amp, the Stomp + HX One seems to be the perfect level of investment and size

Regarding the pull towards the SS:

- I am currently Strat-less, with the 594 and R9 as my two main guitars
- I love PRS and my 594 and have always been curious about the SS
- I love Strats but haven't kept one yet (have owned an American Pro and AVRI Thin Skin); maybe the PRS "improved vintage" vibe will work for me?

Some concerns about the SS:

- not sure about the 7.5 radius
- will probably want to replace the pickups
- ^^ which makes it pretty pricey for a secondary guitar, as I'll always be a LP/594 guy for my #1
- Roxy Pink would be a big move for me, as even my gold top 594 seems "too loud," colour-wise, at times. :grin
- Frost white is the safer long-term choice, but there is just something about that damn pink one... :rofl

TL;DR: I've explored the QC enough and currently wondering about using the $ towards a nice guitar.

What? That pickups are literally the best part of the Silver Sky. If you don't like those pickups, I don't know why you'd buy a Silver Sky.

But seriously: don't touch the pickups. That makes no sense.

Well, to explain, this is based on my recent experience of replacing the 58/15LTs in my 594 with Bare Knuckle Black Dogs, which was a huge improvement. The PRS pickups were very-good-to-great, whereas the BK are truly exceptional and a step above, in my opinion.

But I have not even tried the SS pickups, so who knows. Nice to hear that you love them! I definitely plan to give them a good long chance before changing anything (I had the stock ones in my 594 for about six months, before swapping them out).

Last edited:

2 cents
A buddy has two SS, one maple neck the other rosewood. Have gotten to play them both at length through his really nice collection of Fender style amps - A couple Milkmen and a re-issue Deluxe Reverb.

Just cause it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck doesn't necessarily mean it's a duck.

Ya, it's 3 single coils and it's got the familiar body but I just couldn't bond with them. Close your eyes for a bit and it stops feeling like you're playing a strat. I avoid them now cause he's got a couple of nice Fenders.

For that type of cash I'd score a nice Music Man Cutlass or even a Vigier Expert if you stumble across one. Owned both for a while and would never lose the strat vibe with either.

Some background:

- there is a Roxy Pink SS in stock about 20 min away from me
- I can take the QC to trade towards the SS and get about the same $ I would selling the QC
- there's also a Frost white SS in stock about 15 min away, however they're not open today

Regarding possibly moving/trading the QC:

- I've really enjoyed the Quad Cortex and have no real issues with it, other than the delays being generally uninspiring; captures are amazing, drives and modulation are great, amp models are very good to great, form factor and UI is fantastic
- however, I seem to be reaching the end of my yearly "let's dig deep into a modeler and see just how good it can be" odyssey and returning to just using my tube amp + using digital units for effects-only
- (actually realizing now that this is how I survive Canadian winters? ie. hunker down with a digital device in my basement and explore everything I can with it, haha)

- I've moved to a Stomp + HX One 4cm setup on a Metro 20 and love it
- for me and how I use modellers, ie. experimenting with models/captures at home and sometimes with my band, but mostly using it for effects in 4cm with my amp, the Stomp + HX One seems to be the perfect level of investment and size

Regarding the pull towards the SS:

- I am currently Strat-less, with the 594 and R9 as my two main guitars
- I love PRS and my 594 and have always been curious about the SS
- I love Strats but haven't kept one yet (have owned an American Pro and AVRI Thin Skin); maybe the PRS "improved vintage" vibe will work for me?

- ^^ which makes it pretty pricey for a secondary guitar, as I'll always be a LP/594 guy for my #1
- Roxy Pink would be a big move for me, as even my gold top 594 seems "too loud," colour-wise, at times. :grin
- Frost white is the safer long-term choice, but there is just something about that damn pink one... :rofl

TL;DR: I've explored the QC enough and currently wondering about using the $ towards a nice guitar.
It seems like you really dig the QC. Maybe keep it for home playing at normal volumes as it seems to capture your Electradyne tones and would allow for that without disturbing the neighborhood?

It seems like you really dig the QC. Maybe keep it for home playing at normal volumes as it seems to capture your Electradyne tones and would allow for that without disturbing the neighborhood?

Good and sensible point.

However, I'm able to play my actual Dyne at "loud home theatre" levels almost all the time, so it's been occurring to me that sitting in the same spot and playing a capture of it doesn't make much sense? Why not just use the real amp?

(Other than to see if it can be done, which I've explored now.)

Good and sensible point.

However, I'm able to play my actual Dyne at "loud home theatre" levels almost all the time, so it's been occurring to me that sitting in the same spot and playing a capture of it doesn't make much sense? Why not just use the real amp?

Valid point indeed

But I have not even tried the SS pickups, so who knows. Nice to hear that you love them! I definitely plan to give them a good long chance before changing anything (I had the stock ones in my 595 for about six months, before swapping them out).
The Silver Sky is an attempt to recreate a very specific Strat sound and feel from a very specific era of the Stratocaster. If you aren't chasing the '63/'64 era feel and tones, there's probably better Strat or Strat-inspired guitars out there for you.

The Silver Sky is an attempt to recreate a very specific Strat sound and feel from a very specific era of the Stratocaster.

Hmm... I see your point, but for me, that doesn't mean I'm tied to that vision of it. I'd rather have pickups I actually love. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ (And I may still love the SS ones, remains to be see, I realize.)

If you aren't chasing the '63/'64 era feel and tones, there's probably better Strat or Strat-inspired guitars out there for you.

Possibly, but part of what I'm after is that sweet PRS feel and vibe + modern build and parts. I'm a recent PRS convert, so my 594 love is moving me to try his other "here's a spin on a vintage favourite" model.

Good and sensible point.

You ever crank the shit out of the ED with something in the loop bringing the volume back down? I'm doing this with the FM9 in 4CM, I've got the MV around 10 o'clock and the Volume anywhere from 12-3'o'clock and I can keep it at living room volume no problem.

I still haven't even dug into the variations that are possible with that thing, I get stuck on either the Blue or Red channel and just noodle my face off forever. I need to work at balancing all 3 stages together.

You ever crank the shit out of the ED with something in the loop bringing the volume back down? I'm doing this with the FM9 in 4CM, I've got the MV around 10 o'clock and the Volume anywhere from 12-3'o'clock and I can keep it at living room volume no problem.

Yes, although not a huge amount. I've been happy with keeping the master low (yet still pretty loud).

I still haven't even dug into the variations that are possible with that thing, I get stuck on either the Blue or Red channel and just noodle my face off forever. I need to work at balancing all 3 stages together.

Yes, I live in the Blue channel, along with occasional Red! :chef

I do appreciate the huge Green cleans when I play with my band, too (even if it's only for two songs :rofl).

But yeah, the sound and feel is so sweet for basic crunch/mid-gain stuff, it's easy to never go any further. :beer

Possibly, but part of what I'm after is that sweet PRS feel and vibe + modern build and parts. I'm a recent PRS convert, so my 594 love is moving me to try his other "here's a spin on a vintage favourite" model.
For modern Strats there are better options: Suhr, Tom Anderson, Ernie Ball, Lentz, James Tyler, etc.

A Silver Sky is an attempt to not be modern by PRS: the fretboard radius, the bent saddle bridge, the pickups, the wiring and tone controls, etc. -- they're all based on that '63/'64-era of Strat.

Definitely play it before you drop that kind of cash.

Back