NGD - Silver Sky

itchyfingers

Roadie
Can't think of a guitar that's gotten more hype and hate in the last decade than the PRS Silver Sky. I've stayed away from them because I already have a few nice Strats, and I'm not a huge fan of the PRS that is sitting in the closet (SE Tim Mahoney). While on a recent guitar safari, I got the opportunity to check out a Silver Sky (maple neck version) at a music store in Spokane, WA and was kinda blown away at how much I liked it. I've never really jived with PRS neck profiles, literally painful for me in some cases, but this one feels way more familiar, more "Fender" I guess.

Fast forward a couple weeks; I'd seen the last 5 Dead and Company shows and was just floored at the tones and guitar acrobatics that Mayer was throwing down with his prototype PRS SS. Total fan boy at this point. I know I'll never play a Dumble, and most PRS stuff is out of my comfort / price range, but I figured I could get an SE or a Core and get a similar instrument to what JM was playing. GAS ensued, and I found this gem on Reverb, a stock 2019 with plastic still on the pickguard. I don't know that it had ever been played until I got it.

I guess it's technically a Strat in the loose sense of the word, but I feel like most Strats are plinky and thin, which is not a bad thing, especially into a fuzz or a tweed amp (sorta mandatory for my rigs). This guitar is bassy and full, without any harsh ice picky tones. Just real glassy and powerful. The frets are tiny, vintage style, which it turns out I love because I'm not pressing notes out of tune with my stupid meat hooks. I don't really notice the radius while playing, have no problem getting full minor third bends anywhere on the neck. I doubt I'll ever use the trem. I like how it is fully decked from the factory and even when bending notes, it never lifts off the body. The 3 per side headstock is a lil trippy because its not symmetric like a Gibson and the 3rd string tuner is "farther away" than the 4th, but once I'm tuned up, it no longer matters.

I've got an Alembic blaster and a Mannmade string tree on the way to make it more like the prototype JM was playing, which are a nod to Garcia's Alligator Strat, but even in it's stock form it slayed in my setup at our beach gig this weekend.

6972tojh.jpg

3Qpgs5Ch.jpg

ZgGrmaRh.jpg

vEZV5doh.jpg

Need to work on my Mayer O face. :lol:
2IxHk7oh.jpg

du5ZeRLh.jpg

Oh, and I remember reading complaints about it coming with a gig bag instead of a hard case, but this bag is freaking DOPE!
avixNgzh.jpg

Ahh. Does the Silver Sky benefit from one?
I can't really see why, the angled headstock is already doing the same thing. I read that Mayer had it on the guitar for the first set at Cornell. Took it off at setbreak, then had it back on after Drums and Space, and it remained the rest of the tour. I thought it was just a nod to Garcia's Alligator, but he might hear a tonal difference. :idk:

I'll let you know if I hear anything after I install it!

Dude, you win for coolest drummer.
He is AMAZING! I'll hear him repeat back rhythmic patterns that I'm playing in my solo, look over at him, get a stick point and a head nod of approval, all without missing a beat. He's played with famous bands, teaches at School of Rock, keeps time like no one I've ever played with. I have no idea why he wants to be in our band, but he elevates us to another level of professionalism, and I feel blessed every time I get to play with him. 🥁

I guess it's technically a Strat in the loose sense of the word, but I feel like most Strats are plinky and thin, which is not a bad thing, especially into a fuzz or a tweed amp (sorta mandatory for my rigs). This guitar is bassy and full, without any harsh ice picky tones.

Congratulations. I got to spend an hour or so with a buddy's and agree with this. I didn't walk away with a Strat vibe like you do with something like a Suhr Classic-S, except for the obvious direct nods. The one I played had its own, somewhat thicker thing going on. And this was using a Milkman tweed style amp.

I am slowly making my peace with the headstock. It's taken years though! If I didn't already have the Cutlass, I find myself thinking I'd give an SS a go!

@itchyfingers Cool little rig you got there too! Whats in that cab?
Right on man, thanks! Cab is a 2x10 loaded with greenbacks. Amp is a modded JMP that's more like a JTM at this point (EL34s, some tone stack changes). It's my "tweed on steroids" rig.

Back