Think I’ve found my next amp

I remember watching all the geartube chugger demos of this amp, but this demo is really good. He pulls a lot more varied tones out of it, and that outro is tasty AF.

i dont know what to think about a lot of these newer amp companies like mezzabarba, KSR, Driftwood and the like and this clip is a perfect example.. this demo sounds great yet at the same time its just kind of boring to me, theres no unique character to any of these amps that makes me say i need one of these over any amp i can probably get at 1/4 the price :idk

A little Friedman SS100-v1 love.

same thing with this, its just kinda flat sounding. if im plugging into a steve stevens amp i better feel like im putting on the oxygen mask in my F14 ready to shoot down some migs with the afterburners on, this is more like im flying the refuel jet

theres no unique character to any of these amps that makes me say i need one of these over any amp i can probably get at 1/4 the price :idk
You should buy/play whatever you’re comfortable with at whatever price point works for you. :idk

over any amp i can probably get at 1/4 the price :idk

giphy.gif

It's a great fun amp! I have however saw many buy it and sell right away.

Any questions, ask away.
What was your experience like? How does it compare to a favorite amp of yours? Any insights into their reliability?

What was your experience like? How does it compare to a favorite amp of yours? Any insights into their reliability?
It seems to be built very well.

Full disclosure I had to get a replacement as the first one was used as a demo model at namm and has some pass through signal when in standby. Guessing something happen from being ran for so long???

It's similar to a SLO but for me with a bit of AC30 vibe to it. Like there is some chime in the tone. It's subtle though. Channel 2 is my favorite. The amp loves to drive the power amp and is LOUD. I've pushed it to extremes without any problems.

Channel 1 can do clean or even get some nice drive to it.

I has a negative feedback pot on the back which I think all amps should have. Though I understand why most builders don't include it. This give you great control on how bright the amp can be and can have some effect on feel.

My complaint was it is a bit difficult to get a really tight metal tone. Channel 3 has tons of gain but you have to get the negative feedback and depth set just right and boost with a pedal.

To be fair not many amps can do the tight metal tone that I like plugged straight in. The Armored Sabot V3 (with extra gain stage) and Monomyth modded Marshall are my favorites for that.

The Trinity has a nice thick midrange growl though not the knock you off your feet low-end like a Triple Rectifier.

Imo the amp is made to be used live and tear through the mix. For this it may be one of the best out there.

Dual master volume midi assignable make this thing super versatile.

i dont know what to think about a lot of these newer amp companies like mezzabarba, KSR, Driftwood and the like and this clip is a perfect example.. this demo sounds great yet at the same time its just kind of boring to me, theres no unique character to any of these amps that makes me say i need one of these over any amp i can probably get at 1/4 the price :idk
I get what your are saying. If I put an eq or parametric in the loop of my amps and really tried I can probably nail most other tones. I tend to hold on to amps that have their own unique sound or feel like either super tight, lots of sag etc. I always wondered what my amp collection would be like if I was into clean tones too lol.

So that new Sabot is pretty good then? I was always curious about those Armored amps.
For high gain with the extra gain stage active it's great. I did turn the internal trim down on the extra stage and swap in EL34 power.

I dislike the amp without the gain stage active. I convinced a friend to buy one and he likes it fine both ways.

One thing, the input impedance without the stage active is 500k. If you boost it with a pedal it's nice but with extra stage active the input is 1 Meg and the amp imperfect and tight.

I've seen the armored guy's post on selling those mods and saw they are baked into the gen3 version but never actually looked into what it all meant. Pretty cool.

It seems to be built very well.

Full disclosure I had to get a replacement as the first one was used as a demo model at namm and has some pass through signal when in standby. Guessing something happen from being ran for so long???

It's similar to a SLO but for me with a bit of AC30 vibe to it. Like there is some chime in the tone. It's subtle though. Channel 2 is my favorite. The amp loves to drive the power amp and is LOUD. I've pushed it to extremes without any problems.

Channel 1 can do clean or even get some nice drive to it.

I has a negative feedback pot on the back which I think all amps should have. Though I understand why most builders don't include it. This give you great control on how bright the amp can be and can have some effect on feel.

My complaint was it is a bit difficult to get a really tight metal tone. Channel 3 has tons of gain but you have to get the negative feedback and depth set just right and boost with a pedal.

To be fair not many amps can do the tight metal tone that I like plugged straight in. The Armored Sabot V3 (with extra gain stage) and Monomyth modded Marshall are my favorites for that.

The Trinity has a nice thick midrange growl though not the knock you off your feet low-end like a Triple Rectifier.

Imo the amp is made to be used live and tear through the mix. For this it may be one of the best out there.

Dual master volume midi assignable make this thing super versatile.
Thank you for the detailed insights.

I’ve got a handful of amps flittering around in my mind at the moment: Diezel Herbert/VHX, Mezzabarba Trinity, Slo, JP-2C, Ecstacy 20th, Omega Granophyre. Considering picking up one more amp that will complement my Carr Impala and Helios 50.

I've seen the armored guy's post on selling those mods and saw they are baked into the gen3 version but never actually looked into what it all meant. Pretty cool.
IMO it's a pita in execution. You have to pull the chasis and the controls are trims inside the amp.

The levels for the effects loop are inside also.

Thank you for the detailed insights.

I’ve got a handful of amps flittering around in my mind at the moment: Diezel Herbert/VHX, Mezzabarba Trinity, Slo, JP-2C, Ecstacy 20th, Omega Granophyre. Considering picking up one more amp that will complement my Carr Impala and Helios 50.
My pick would be the Granophyre of those.

If channel switching and no clean isn't a concern.

Last edited:
Back