These are the worst picks I ever bought

Idk, everyone is different, of course - but I'm a believer in Blue Chip picks. Took me a few tries to get the right one, which was the IBJ55 but in 35 size - have to tell them that when you order. Glides through the strings like nothing I've tried, thin but has a slight amount of "give".
I think I want to try one. What's the closest in size and thickness to a 1.5mm JP Jazz 3, if you know?

Rant Time: I'M SO FUCKING TIRED OF BEAN COUNTERS AT COMPANIES CUTTING SHIT BACK! I just bought some new tools, and the carrying bag that came with one of them, that I have the same one of, now only has 1 inner pocket instead of 4. It's everything. "Party Size" of food products that used to be "Family Size." They'll put a big banner around the top of the box saying: "20% FREE. SAME LOW PRICE!" How about: "WE CUT BACK ON THE AMOUNT, AND WE'RE CHARGING YOU EVEN MORE!" Anyway...

On Marketplace economists were referring to this as shrinkflation. The concept drives me nuts. It's really something when buying a box of cereal can start to feel predatory. In food, they'll often try to hide the amount that they've cut back in quantity, keeping the box size the same; you can only tell by reading the weight of the package, if you happen to know what the previous weight was, which almost no one would pay attention to.

I was perfectly happy with Fender (back before I got serious about my practice time), so I went all-out and bought multi-packs in 6 different colors, only to find out they had stopped embossing them.
I used the Fender Heavy picks for a long time until I noticed something had changed in the material when I went to buy more. It was somehow different, a bit less rigid and durable.

I'm guessing they changed pick material makers, or the OEM stopped making a particular material due to environmental regulations or some other reasons. Or the beancounters got to them and shittified the product because it saved them 0.2% money.

Went to Dunlop Gator/Ultex 1.14-1.5mm and later on a few years ago moved to the Flow 1.35mm which is right between the two with a bit sharper shape.

€50 for their cheapest Jazz pick? Wtf?
The material he uses is actually pretty expensive and isn’t super easy to machine. He’s not just jacking up the price arbitrarily. The material does not wear as a pick - it’ll last forever. At least on the bluegrass boards it’s pretty easy to sell used ones for a good portion of what uounpaid. And in the bluegrass/acoustic world, nobody really questions the price anymore.

I don’t find them as game changing on electric guitar, but the tonal difference and technical superiority on acoustic (mandolin in particular for me) is much bigger difference than, say, pickup swaps on guitars.

The material he uses is actually pretty expensive and isn’t super easy to machine. He’s not just jacking up the price arbitrarily. The material does not wear as a pick - it’ll last forever. At least on the bluegrass boards it’s pretty easy to sell used ones for a good portion of what uounpaid. And in the bluegrass/acoustic world, nobody really questions the price anymore.

I don’t find them as game changing on electric guitar, but the tonal difference and technical superiority on acoustic (mandolin in particular for me) is much bigger difference than, say, pickup swaps on guitars.

I don't even doubt that they might very well be worth their money - it's just that I'm losing picks all the time. I got a little better over the years but I'd say it's still around one pick a week. Which would come down to around €2500 a year with those.
Sure, I might be able to reduce pick loss to, say, just 10/year, but that's still a considerable amount of money. Old habits simply die hard. Alternatively, I might be even more careful and keep it in a dedicated box only leaving the house in a dedicated place of my gigbag - but I'm pretty sure I'd just forget it at home one day (see old habits). With my Jazz IIIs, I simply keep some of them pretty much everywhere, there's some in my gigbags, in my daily bags and backpacks, in my wallet, in my pedalboard case, you name it. Reducing that safety to just one pick - nah, likely not for this old dog anymore.

alien.png

But I'm not really sure about that whole, "You don't want pick flex because it causes latency when picking fast," because Paul Gilbert certainly has no problems using thinner picks. I do like a thinner pick, but for now, I'm fine with the Jazz 3's. Thank you Fender!

I wouldn't want to play shred with a Thin, but choosing between Medium-ish and Heavy, or something crazy like metal or stone picks, I think it's just a matter of picking a lane and calibrating your muscle memory and expectations. Personally, I prefer Fender Medium celluloid. Anything thicker just kind of distracts me when I pick it up, and I do like the pick giving a little bit against string tension. It's not moving any appreciable distance, it just feels right - like having a little sag in a power amp. :)

I've been buying Medium Fender celluloid 355's for about 20 years now, cutting them down to equilateral triangles approx. 1.25" on a side, and polishing the edges. They feel and sound great (once broken in for an hour or two), but they do have a fairly short life span.

91tHPiTfN6L.jpg

Meant to approximate one of these. (This particular pick, in ebonite, is now very hard to find, and more recent runs using different materials don't sound as good as the Fender celluloid IMO):

cubpqrltf1xmmafbrfrq.jpg

I absolutely cannot wrap my head around this new trend of designer guitar picks (e.g. Gravity, etc.) casually costing $50+. Keep 'em.

Last edited:
Who even started this whole “pick flex is bad” thing?

The only place I ever hear that is in guitar forums
I think it's a shredder thing. They must have complete control over the location of every molecule of their picks at all times. And heavier is better because bro do you even lift. ;)

Pick flex is the new latency, don't ya know?

I think I want to try one. What's the closest in size and thickness to a 1.5mm JP Jazz 3, if you know?

I can absolutely hear a better attack from these versus my previous favorite - the Dunlop Tortex 1.14.

Personally didn't like their "BC Jazz", they are a bit smaller than the Tortex 1.14 shown here, too small for me. The two IBJ picks are the ones on the right, with the grip holes - they stay put, which has been a problem for me in the past. The IBJ's are exactly the same size as the black Petrucci Jazz III pick here. The IBJ55 (on the far right) feels exactly like the Petrucci pick, down to the flex (none).

I prefer the IBJ35 as it has just a little flex. You could also order a IBJ45 if you want a happy medium.

If you're a frequent pick loser, than these ain't for you! I only play at home, rarely at a friend's house - and I keep track of these with no problem.
20231109_080540.jpg

Who even started this whole “pick flex is bad” thing?

The only place I ever hear that is in guitar forums

For me I use thick picks because I destroy thinner ones no matter the brand or compound makeup of the pick. I break cellulose picks in minutes and tortex or similar I wear them down to nothing in a very short time. Even when I use 2mm or higher I wear them out quicker than they should be. Also lots think you cant strum properly with thick picks but thats wrong. Just go softer is all. I actually don't typically use a pick when I strum anyways.

guitar-pick-set-rombopicks-jade-black_2048x.jpg
I got sucked into trying the Acoustic Attak stuff as well and have found them thoroughly meh. I posted this is the what pick are you using thread but I still am a big fan one the Rombo Jades.
I bought the Rombo and AA picks at the same time, and the Rombo picks are infinitely better. I don’t love all of them, but some of them are quite good.

I’m always up for trying new picks. I had a guy recommend these picks from Acoustik Attak and I got a 30% off so I gave them a try.

A few are normal picks and a few have ridges and textures to give different sounds on the string.

Here’s the set with a Jazz III and 351 as reference
View attachment 13390

The material is SUPER cheap! It looks and feels like really really cheap molded plastic. The ridges of several are very rough from the mold

View attachment 13391

And most of them are ginormous! Here’s one next a XH 351

View attachment 13392

They feel bulky and awkward. The textures ones are weird, I find them useless. They basically give more string noise when strumming, but you can ONLY strum with them. The texture on them catches and snags on the strings so bad it’s impossible to pick single notes or pretty much anything but full strums. Plus the shape is so long and awkward it’s challenging to do anything but cowboy strumming with any sort of precision.

I thought the three in the bottom left were going to be Jazz III - ish, but they’re much bigger, more awkward, and don’t sound as good.

Usually I at least keep picks around even if I’m not crazy about them, but I think these are going straight in the trash where they belong
These are made right in my state and they are the worst picks I have ever tried. On top of that fairly expensive compared to what I usually buy.

Blue Chip are good quality but it's expensive to try to find the right pick shape and thickness. The material used is crazy expensive which is why the price is so high. But if you don't lose them they may last forever.

I've been digging the Flow picks lately. They have a nice textured grip and sharp tip, size between Jazz III and standard, and are really durable. Only downside is the sharp tip lets me get away with bad habits of slanting the pick too much.

81QzR4Lt6vL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

I bought the Rombo and AA picks at the same time, and the Rombo picks are infinitely better. I don’t love all of them, but some of them are quite good.
Yeah, I bought into their first couple kickstarters so have tried the majority of them and they definitely weren’t all winners but I would at least say their overall quality just seems to be there.
These are made right in my state and they are the worst picks I have ever tried. On top of that fairly expensive compared to what I usually buy.

Those were what I used before the Rombos and I really liked them. The only issue I had was I would wear them down quickly but at least they were cheap enough and readily available locally that I never worried about how quickly I was burning through them.

Back