These are the worst picks I ever bought

metropolis_4

Shredder
I’m always up for trying new picks. I had a guy recommend these picks from Acoustik Attak and I got a 30% off so I gave them a try.

A few are normal picks and a few have ridges and textures to give different sounds on the string.

Here’s the set with a Jazz III and 351 as reference
IMG_3117.jpeg

The material is SUPER cheap! It looks and feels like really really cheap molded plastic. The ridges of several are very rough from the mold

IMG_3118.jpeg

And most of them are ginormous! Here’s one next a XH 351

IMG_3119.jpeg

They feel bulky and awkward. The textures ones are weird, I find them useless. They basically give more string noise when strumming, but you can ONLY strum with them. The texture on them catches and snags on the strings so bad it’s impossible to pick single notes or pretty much anything but full strums. Plus the shape is so long and awkward it’s challenging to do anything but cowboy strumming with any sort of precision.

I thought the three in the bottom left were going to be Jazz III - ish, but they’re much bigger, more awkward, and don’t sound as good.

Usually I at least keep picks around even if I’m not crazy about them, but I think these are going straight in the trash where they belong

I wholeheartedly agree. I ordered a similar sample pack from them, and I can't stand them. They just feel off, and some of the designs are straight WTF? I also get a constant stream of emails from them. I need to unsubscribe already...

I keep getting FB ads for those.. I remember I got lured into something similar also via FB a few years back, those were crap as well...

So far no fancy pick manufacturer has convinced me their product is better than what Dunlop offers. I'm using the 1.35mm Dunlop Flow picks these days. Only thing that would make them better is some color other than black.

So far no fancy pick manufacturer has convinced me their product is better than what Dunlop offers. I'm using the 1.35mm Dunlop Flow picks these days. Only thing that would make them better is some color other than black.
Idk, everyone is different, of course - but I'm a believer in Blue Chip picks. Took me a few tries to get the right one, which was the IBJ55 but in 35 size - have to tell them that when you order. Glides through the strings like nothing I've tried, thin but has a slight amount of "give".

I wholeheartedly agree. I ordered a similar sample pack from them, and I can't stand them. They just feel off, and some of the designs are straight WTF? I also get a constant stream of emails from them. I need to unsubscribe already...

The designs are weird. I don’t know what they were thinking with the textured ones. They snag the strings so bad they’re useless.

Hard to argue with that. I’ve been through them all and I still use Dunlop black Jazz III and 351 medium celluloid more than anything.

Idk, everyone is different, of course - but I'm a believer in Blue Chip picks. Took me a few tries to get the right one, which was the IBJ55 but in 35 size - have to tell them that when you order. Glides through the strings like nothing I've tried, thin but has a slight amount of "give".

Blue Chip is one I’ve never tried, I really need to pick one up but I never know which one to get

The designs are weird. I don’t know what they were thinking with the textured ones. They snag the strings so bad they’re useless.

Hard to argue with that. I’ve been through them all and I still use Dunlop black Jazz III and 351 medium celluloid more than anything.

Blue Chip is one I’ve never tried, I really need to pick one up but I never know which one to get
If you like Jazz III's I'd recommend just what I ended up with, the IBJ55 but state in the comments you want 35 sizing. The 55 is way too stiff, I wanted something similar in feel and size to a Tortex 1.14 Jazz III. The IBJ is a little bigger but the 35 sizing has similar give to that Tortex. And other than how easy they glide through the strings, they last and last. The Tortex last me a week or so until they need sanding or tossing.

One of my friends got me a pack of these and yeah…..I think they’re only use is for recording acoustics with some textured picks for a specific sound. They don’t feel good to hold, they’re all kinda matte in finish and not smooth like a Dunlop, just crappy all around. I’d be surprised if there were any actual research into making the picks and it’s not just someone with a 3D printer fucking around with random ideas.

I always wondered about those, I keep getting ad blasted on SM. I finally settled on these

PXL_20231108_221433363.jpg

My problem with picks has always been that nothing feels as good as a Jazz III but nothing sounds as good as a medium celluloid 351

I was perfectly happy with Fender (back before I got serious about my practice time), so I went all-out and bought multi-packs in 6 different colors, only to find out they had stopped embossing them.

Rant Time: I'M SO FUCKING TIRED OF BEAN COUNTERS AT COMPANIES CUTTING SHIT BACK! I just bought some new tools, and the carrying bag that came with one of them, that I have the same one of, now only has 1 inner pocket instead of 4. It's everything. "Party Size" of food products that used to be "Family Size." They'll put a big banner around the top of the box saying: "20% FREE. SAME LOW PRICE!" How about: "WE CUT BACK ON THE AMOUNT, AND WE'RE CHARGING YOU EVEN MORE!" Anyway...

So fuck Fender too. I went on a pick search, buying a pack of various types/sizes, and landed on the 1.5mm JP Jazz 3. I also went up in thickness; I used to prefer Fender Mediums, but they did flex.

But I'm not really sure about that whole, "You don't want pick flex because it causes latency when picking fast," because Paul Gilbert certainly has no problems using thinner picks. I do like a thinner pick, but for now, I'm fine with the Jazz 3's. Thank you Fender!

My 2nd favorite would be the Ultex Sharps. But they now feel waaay too big to me.

First time playing with. Blue Chip was like first time playing a guitar with stainless steel frets.

Back