Howling Monkey picks

metropolis_4

Shredder
I’m always interested in trying new picks and these keep popping up so I have them a try.

They’re made from Tagua Nuts and come in a variety of shapes.

The texture is similar to Tortex, but they are much harder/stiffer. The grip on them is fantastic! Drag on the strings is similar to Tortex.

They have a brighter, more pronounced attack than either Tortex or Jazz III’s, but not quite as much as a medium 351 celluloid.

I haven’t had them long enough to see how they wear, but after a couple days I don’t see any signs of fast wear, and none of the annoying grooves I get in things like Gravity picks.

The bevel is great and seems to help with that attack, it’s much tighter than the attack from a Jazz III. The Jazz III shape is slightly bigger too. It’s similar in size to the Dunlop JP, but the bevel gives it a sharper tip that seems to give more definition. Small enough for good control, big enough to strum aggressively.

Overall very cool and I’ll definitely be using these more. Very curious to try them out in the real world on some gigs

Here’s a pic next to some regular suspects for comparison. The Howling Monkry picks are (from left to right): Jazz III, Triakis, Fat Jazz, Saucer

484B07B7-9E8E-473D-A8E8-08B44CA559E5.jpeg

Last edited:
I might be up for trying some. I didn’t care for Gravity Picks. I do like and still use V-picks. Mostly the Screamer. But sometimes I don’t want acrylic, so I’ve been using those Dunlop JPs you are showing. But those Howling Monkey picks might be worth a try.

I might be up for trying some. I didn’t care for Gravity Picks. I do like and still use V-picks. Mostly the Screamer. But sometimes I don’t want acrylic, so I’ve been using those Dunlop JPs you are showing. But those Howling Monkey picks might be worth a try.

I think they’re worth a try. I didn’t like Gravity Picks either. I love the size and shape of the Dunlop JPs, but tonally I find them dull.

The Jazz III Howling Monkey is about the same size, but so far I like it’s sound better

I like trying new picks, the only thing that gets me is the size and the thickness. No flaccid pricks, I mean floppy picks, and they have to be jazz III sized.

I put an order in, see how these are. In big on the primetone jazz iiis right now.

Back