The ultimate ‘80s rock guitar available today?

metropolis_4

Rock Star
Realizing I’m definitely going to need a Floyd Rose for Rock of Ages, the Gotoh 510 isn’t cutting it. And I’m going to be on stage in costume as a hair metal guitarist.

So I want to get the most ‘80s guitar I can find. Must have a FR and at least 22 frets.

What would you get?

Might as well go full on Steel Panther, Met! :rawk

satchel-e1554326410462.jpg

I think either of these should do fine:

1727206706520.png

Oh wait, you wanted something in production haha! Maybe an Ibanez RG Genesis would be okay, but I think I'd go more outrageous, like the Traveler Guitar Vaibrant Deluxe V88X in Hot Pink:

1727206842511.png

I mean, if you want to be noticed and to look unimpeachably awesome, I don't think you can get much better than that thing.

While there's a ton of new stuff reviving the 80's colors/models lately, I'd absolutely be hitting up Reverb for 90's MIJ Ibanez RG's while you can still get them for $500-$800. Outside of PRS SE's, I haven't played anything new off a shelf in years around that price point that'll deliver as much as the 90's RG's.

No point in getting a Floyd if it's going to be a cheaper Floyd and you just can't beat a LoPro or Edge, nor is anything under a grand going to have anything better/equal to one.

While there's a ton of new stuff reviving the 80's colors/models lately, I'd absolutely be hitting up Reverb for 90's MIJ Ibanez RG's while you can still get them for $500-$800. Outside of PRS SE's, I haven't played anything new off a shelf in years around that price point that'll deliver as much as the 90's RG's.

No point in getting a Floyd if it's going to be a cheaper Floyd and you just can't beat a LoPro or Edge, nor is anything under a grand going to have anything better/equal to one.

I’ve been looking at some RGs, I get lost in all the models though. Beyond 470,550,560,570 I’m lost.

Any recommendations on ones to look for?

I’ve been looking at some RGs, I get lost in all the models though. Beyond 470,550,560,570 I’m lost.

Any recommendations on ones to look for?

Anything RG5__ and above and you're good to go, until you get into models made after 2002, I believe, when they started using the Edge Pro :barf

RG4__ and below will have the Lo-TRS and at that point you're better off getting a new Charvel that looks the part more. Though you can put a Gotoh 1996t into a Lo-TRS cavity without routing anything, but it's kinda silly if you can get an RG5__ for the same amount you'd end up spending. I can't even keep track of all the different model designations, they're mostly different combinations of pickguard/no pickguard and maple/rosewood neck, the 770's might be just because the sharkfin inlay? I can't quite remember anymore.

Regardless, anything from '87-'02, RG5__ and above will have either an Edge or a Lo-Pro, so you can just sort out the fingerboard/aesthetic choices within those models.

Anything RG5__ and above and you're good to go, until you get into models made after 2002, I believe, when they started using the Edge Pro :barf

RG4__ and below will have the Lo-TRS and at that point you're better off getting a new Charvel that looks the part more. Though you can put a Gotoh 1996t into a Lo-TRS cavity without routing anything, but it's kinda silly if you can get an RG5__ for the same amount you'd end up spending. I can't even keep track of all the different model designations, they're mostly different combinations of pickguard/no pickguard and maple/rosewood neck, the 770's might be just because the sharkfin inlay? I can't quite remember anymore.

Regardless, anything from '87-'02, RG5__ and above will have either an Edge or a Lo-Pro, so you can just sort out the fingerboard/aesthetic choices within those models.
Genesis models are better than the original ones.
RG 550 but budget for new pickups .

Back