The truth shall set you free...or something like that.

It is the increasing trend for zero volume stages, and much lower venue sound levels that would keep me in the modeler realm. Of course you could go with an amp with built-in load and IRs. Then you could have a stage cabinet to use when allowed, but still go silent stage when forced. I really dislike the trend for quieter live music unless you are a A-level touring act. And even they are getting wussy in their live volume.

🤦(

I do have the gear to run a head with IR's but I have not tried it yet.

Yes I am atm...for practical reasons:

- I got a regular gig where I use the venues return of a combo, and a cab that’s there. So I only bring my board and a poweramp to have stereo rig as an endresult
- Other occasions I play stereo using 2 combos, preamp on my board is less cabling then using the amps preamp
- I favor having the least amount of variables when I play, this allows me to set the preamp I use in stone.

If the balance of my playing shifts from using venues stuff to bringing my own..maybe I’d make different choices.
The amps preamp sounds great..and I can well imagine using that. For now..the st james is a tube powered speaker…with IR that feeds foh ;-)

View attachment 3642
Slick setup!

Back