The Poweramp

Got my old Behringer A500 ready for things.
It's a heavy Class AB beast, 375W in bridged mode (8Ω 1% THD), plenty of power to rock the bedroom.

View attachment 13642
View attachment 13643
View attachment 13644
View attachment 13645
That's fan-less, right? For home use, I agree these old hulking "meant to power studio monitors back in the day when studio monitors were passive" beasts are hard to beat. No fan. No need to worry about how you are going to lift those huge heat sinks.

I agree that a 2U 20+ pound amplifier isn't really that attractive of an option for live use. Ideally, I'd want a nice single rack unit solid state power amp that offered 300W into 8 Ohms per side stereo and that weighs less than 10 pounds. The closest thing to that are the Matrix offerings, but they are not in production currently and their customer service appears to be non-existent right now as well. There is clearly a hole in the market.
Yeah Matrix stuff is cool, but they’re in such a state of flux.

All these years into modeling, and there’s still mostly jack shit, and/or people buying PA power amps. Matrix is/was cool, but mostly now defunct. Fryette is awesome, but with a sketchy CS history.

It's actually the main reason I'm looking at powered Kempers right now, in my current scratch-that-digital-itch-then-go back-to-tube-amps phase.

It's very appealing to have something you can just plug into a guitar cab without needing anything else, or having to shop for power amps, etc.

Even though I prefer working with amp models over profiles, and prefer Fractal overall, I'm just not up for the whole find a power amp solution thing.

It's actually the main reason I'm looking at powered Kempers right now, in my current scratch-that-digital-itch-then-go back-to-tube-amps phase.

It's very appealing to have something you can just plug into a guitar cab without needing anything else, or having to shop for power amps, etc.

Even though I prefer working with amp models over profiles, and prefer Fractal overall, I'm just not up for the whole find a power amp solution thing.
If you get an unpowered toaster; I know a guy with a form fitting Camplfier amp that is made for the Kemper and will let go of it cheap :bag

Back