The positive QC thread

I know QC captures run very cheap in terms of CPU, but I've asked someone online and he said the ToneX plugin runs on the hefty side. I don't think they're that cheap to run... can anyone confirm? Compare CPU loads with an instance of HX Native amps vs. ToneX amps maybe?

Haven't tried the plugin, but yes, NNs for audio are quite cheap to run - DSP or not.

Did you mean to say you don't think QC profiles are fully NN based?

Yeah. I'm pretty sure they are though, but Neural has always been (intentionally) vague on how their capturing tech works.

This post is Jonathan Nathan Cordy-approved.

Old Woman Ok GIF by LLIMOO
John Nathan Cordy does not agree!

I really like the warranty that first time purchasers get.

I like that it has a build quality almost of a Digitech RP1 from 30 years ago.

It was a good design choice to not include plate reverb. Plate reverb is for posers. Hall reverb all the way.

I like the fact that Megadeth uses it. If there's one band I think of for great and consistent tone, it's Megsdeth.

It fits neatly in the frunk of my Tesla model 3 base model that I financed on 8 year paper.

I like that it doubles as soil to grow entirely new forums of shitposting from.

It goes really well with my carbon fiber headless guitar that I play in my shoegaze/djent/deathcore/Taylor swiftcore band when my wife lets me play.

When I got one on release, there were a lot of things I loved about it.

Form factor and hardware

The QC is pretty much perfect size and I/O complement for a complex multifx unit to me. It has enough I/O, including mic preamps to also serve effectively as an audio interface if needed. It can fit on a pedalboard or on desk. It's probably at its worst as a floor unit but that's at the same time what I love about it. I can easily replace footswitching with a MIDI controller on any modeler, but I cannot add more knob control in a sensible way.

The knob/switches have a really good feel to them. On a lot of modelers the infinite rotaries are either too responsive so it's easy to overshoot the value you wanted or they are not responsive enough so going from one end of the value range to the other takes a lot of knob spinning. The QC's encoders reacted exactly as I preferred so getting the right setting felt intuitive.

User interface

I really liked how NeuralDSP did not just have a touchscreen but also included a lot of knobs on it. Any block editing view is pretty nice to use because you don't have to deal with things like changing pages and rows a lot. Compared to for example Fractal there's significantly less back and forth between control sets simply because there's more knobs to map controls.

The touchscreen mostly serves as the tool to quickly select something and while you can edit things on it by dragging your finger over a control, it's not a good way to do it. Tap a thing, turn a knob is the way to go and it works much closer to operating a pedalboard than I've experienced on any other modeler.

Captures

I captured my Bogner GF45 SL and Victory VC35 amps and the results, after figuring out how to set the levels on the QC right, were very good. Making subsequent captures was a bit of a chore and filling metadata for them had to be done with the phone app to be in any way practical. I think they could streamline the process but the results speak for themselves, I felt that the captures got about 98% of the sound of my real amps when compared in a similar setup - running through a Fryette PS-100 to a cab. That makes the QC a good unit for "pack your real amp to a digital compact box".

With IK's Tonex pedal out now, I think many forget that the QC can run up to 8 captures in one preset which definitely lets you do a lot more with them if needed, either by using them as dual amps in parallel, switching between multiple settings on your favorite amp or having some stompbox captures in the mix. While most users won't really need that, it's at least an option that is unique to the QC.

With IK's Tonex pedal out now, I think many forget that the QC can run up to 8 captures in one preset which definitely lets you do a lot more with them if needed, either by using them as dual amps in parallel, switching between multiple settings on your favorite amp or having some stompbox captures in the mix. While most users won't really need that, it's at least an option that is unique to the QC.

Yep. And you have a really nice collection of cab IR’s where you can freely position mics for each one, and route them in any number of ways. Not useful for everyone, but it’s not really offered by anything else like that (combines various aspects that other modellers have but in a way that is pretty decent for the user).

Yep. And you have a really nice collection of cab IR’s where you can freely position mics for each one, and route them in any number of ways. Not useful for everyone, but it’s not really offered by anything else like that (combines various aspects that other modellers have but in a way that is pretty decent for the user).
To be fair the Tonex has this as well with their VIR cabs. Helix implemented a similar system and Fractal is soon to follow so it's not a unique feature anymore. Was great on release though.

The touchscreen just makes it more intuitive to work with as you can just drag a mic on screen.

Yeah, I actually quite like VIR but it suffers from IK’s approach to UI. It’s so close to being incredible but it’s so clunky to use. Helix is pretty good now, but maybe a bit more limited in choice. The experience is definitely nice to use in a pinch though, which is something Line 6 are pretty good at staying on top of. I look forward to seeing how Fractal do it - I don’t really use their included IR’s as I like to have more control between mic positions, and looking at a list of random IR’s isn’t really a process I like. Part of me expects it to be amazing as far as control and features, and it’ll suffer with the experience side a little. Will happily be proven wrong, but dragging a mic on a touch screen is one of very few things I actually find a touchscreen useful for.

On the HW ToneX pedal, I don’t believe you can freely mix and match IR’s or route the signal through different ones at the same time? AFAIK, you have to save them as presets first and import them in. can you send an amp DI and IR signal out at the same time?

I hadn’t actually thought about it but does it have a bypass for the amp block? would even be handy as just an IR loader in a pinch. Regardless, for navigating through a load of cabs and IR’s I’d much rather a larger screen like Fractal/Helix/Kemper/QC all use. Quite easy to counter it with ToneX isn’t aimed at me and it’s supposed to be simple, but I’d really like a pedal to solve several problems in one rather than require the use of other gear. It’s one of those things that, I understand why people think the price is amazing but I don’t think the limitations make it a fair comparison against most other products on the market (which offer so much more than just accurate amp sounds).

Yeah, I actually quite like VIR but it suffers from IK’s approach to UI. It’s so close to being incredible but it’s so clunky to use. Helix is pretty good now, but maybe a bit more limited in choice. The experience is definitely nice to use in a pinch though, which is something Line 6 are pretty good at staying on top of. I look forward to seeing how Fractal do it - I don’t really use their included IR’s as I like to have more control between mic positions, and looking at a list of random IR’s isn’t really a process I like. Part of me expects it to be amazing as far as control and features, and it’ll suffer with the experience side a little. Will happily be proven wrong, but dragging a mic on a touch screen is one of very few things I actually find a touchscreen useful for.
Yeah touchscreen definitely makes it more user friendly which is why I was surprised that both Line6 and Fractal decided to implement something similar rather than leaving it as a next gen feature. I think Line6 actually did a fairly good job and having that movable mic UI on HX Edit goes a long way. I hope Fractal can manage to make their onboard UI decent, I expect Axe-Edit will be fine.

The vast factory IR bank on Fractal is unmatched on any product really as there's a lot of unusual and great stuff in there, but boy it's a real chore to go through because the file browsers just don't have good enough filter and management tools for it and it gets even worse on the onboard UI.

On the HW ToneX pedal, I don’t believe you can freely mix and match IR’s or route the signal through different ones at the same time? AFAIK, you have to save them as presets first and import them in.
You can edit the VIR cabs on the pedal itself. The UI is very clunky for that but it is possible. User IRs have to be set to a preset it seems.
can you send an amp DI and IR signal out at the same time?
Not atm afaik. IK's X-Drive pedal has this feature so I hope they implement it on the Tonex pedal as well.
I hadn’t actually thought about it but does it have a bypass for the amp block? would even be handy as just an IR loader in a pinch.
Yeah you can do that.
Regardless, for navigating through a load of cabs and IR’s I’d much rather a larger screen like Fractal/Helix/Kemper/QC all use. Quite easy to counter it with ToneX isn’t aimed at me and it’s supposed to be simple, but I’d really like a pedal to solve several problems in one rather than require the use of other gear. It’s one of those things that, I understand why people think the price is amazing but I don’t think the limitations make it a fair comparison against most other products on the market (which offer so much more than just accurate amp sounds).
I'd say the appeal is exactly the simplification. If you can avoid trawling through menus and just changing presets and tweaking it like an amp, that will be good enough for most people who will pair this with their favorite pedals. I don't think the pedal itself is very good if you need to tweak the cabs but at least you have more options to do so than what e.g Strymon Iridium or UA pedals offer because those just give you a toggle switch and nothing else.

I really like the warranty that first time purchasers get.

I like that it has a build quality almost of a Digitech RP1 from 30 years ago.

It was a good design choice to not include plate reverb. Plate reverb is for posers. Hall reverb all the way.

I like the fact that Megadeth uses it. If there's one band I think of for great and consistent tone, it's Megsdeth.

It fits neatly in the frunk of my Tesla model 3 base model that I financed on 8 year paper.

I like that it doubles as soil to grow entirely new forums of shitposting from.

It goes really well with my carbon fiber headless guitar that I play in my shoegaze/djent/deathcore/Taylor swiftcore band when my wife lets me play.

Hey my Tesla is a Model S P100D with Ludicrous Mode (0-60 in 2.3 seconds) & paid off... 😂
I have several gas guzzlers @12 MPG & 9MPG... So not a tree hugger :)
But I do like my QC for my Modeling needs.

Is this where all the Banned TGPers landed?

Okay! Let's do it! The positive QC thread. Where we only say things we like about it.

- I like that the low-end of the captures is more accurate to the real amp you capture than the Kemper was/is.
- I especially like that the captures are low CPU, so you can put a ton of them into a preset and use scenes to emulate a multi-channel amp.
- I like the walkthrough guide that they give you to tell you how to connect the thing up for capturing. Makes it super easy for people.
- I like the touchscreen! I do! Particularly for simple stuff like naming a preset.
- I like the footswitch+encoders. They work really well.
- I preferred the QC tuner to the Helix tuner. *ducks*

I really like that I don't own one. Does that count?

Back