The Fuzz Thread

PXL_20240309_195859315.NIGHT~2.jpg

The KingTone Mini Fuzz is pure awesomeness. Powered by a 9V supply, its power circuit emulates battery sag. Plus it has both Si and Ge settings along with 3 different fuzz modes. Add the bias knob and HUGE volume dial, it looks as good as it sounds.

Is it the perfect fuzz pedal? I can't say, but it has turned me into a fuzz fan. :chef

I've been really into fuzz for the last two years, mostly self built at this point.

Sun Face clones - BC183 and germanium

Tone benders Mk 1 and II. The mk1 is absolutely brutal. It's a fantastic drive pedal.

Zonk Machine - Weird take on a Mk1 Tone bender that does it's own thing but definitely worth having alongside a Mk1. This pedal was a bitch to tune. You need to get the gains and leakage just right to have any sweep on the gain control.

Thorpy Muffroom Cloud clone. First big muff I've really liked.

I've also been collecting parts for a few special builds, I've even got some custom made enclosures, but haven't had a lot of time for building recently. When I finally get them started I'll put threads in the DIY section.

A JHF1 fuzz face (easily my favourite silicon FF, the clean up is incredible)
A Nkt275 Sun Face clone
A Tone Bender MkII with OC81Ds.
Coming from someone who took a 10 year trip down the “building fuzz faces” rabbit hole - IMO the best fuzz face design for practical players is Joe Gagen’s EasyFace circuit.

It replaces the fuzz knob with a 1k or 2k resister IIRC, and then that knob position on the pedal gets replaced with a 250k pot that effectively sits in for your guitars volume pot coming into Q1 so you can back off your guitar volume from the pedal. The traditional fuzz knob on a fuzz face is pretty useless.

It might be blasphemy to some, but the fuzz algos that are available in Source Audio's One Series pedals (Kingmaker/LA Lady/Aftershock) sound forbiddenly good.

And yes, they even react to the guitar's volume knob and everything.

First day and it looks like honeymoon should be one of the best ever.

Back