The Fuzz Thread

Not gonna lie, I've got about 100 fuzz boxes. :facepalm

Partial to Fuzz Face and Tonebender circuits, but always trying different Muffs thinking one day I'll find one that works for me. Still waiting, lol.

BDXfWukl.jpg

51qqTVgl.jpg

PUbrgNyl.jpg

How do you find the bonamassa fuzz face? Which RCA transistors are in your sun face?

The only fuzz currently own is a PLX FX FZ-2 clone for those electric wizard tones

But I've had crippling fuzz addiction in the past. So many different ones I couldn't even begin to try and make/remember a list. Most of them were muff variants but I've had some fun with a number of other circuits too

How do you find the bonamassa fuzz face? Which RCA transistors are in your sun face?
I've had a couple opportunities to buy entire collections from people, it's a big investment with some duds but also quite a few gems. Usually works out to be around $100 per pedal, which is a bummer if its a Donner, but super cool if its something rare. I try to sell off the duds and a few cool ones that are redundant in my collection and recoup most of the money, then keep the ones I was going after in the first place. My most recent large score was from a guy who had passed away and his family was selling off his gear. He had a ton of killer pedals and was apparently on a first name basis with some famous builders. I got the JB FF in that big score; it's germanium but it's super smooth, almost more of an overdrive than a fuzz. Also in that big score was this Si Fuzz Face, in a rare blue color. It pays to pop the hood on new toys!
7autXWCl.jpg

For the Analogman, that's got the high gain RCA trannies. Not sure if Mike still has those available, I ordered that one in late 2019. I will say, it's tough to go wrong with a Sun Face. I love every one I've tried. :LOL:

Currently have:

Pigtronix Disnortion (original big box version) - great pedal and super versatile with the additional built in overdrive (which is really good) and the octava

Keeley Darkside: dope classic Big Muff sound with a lot more going on besides just the fuzz

Sobbat Fuzzbreaker 1R - essentially a Japanese Germanium Analogman Sunface

For straight up old school fuzz the Sobbat is my fave and most used these days

I like fuzzes through slightly broken up Plexi-ish cleans.

I had a DIY phase in which I was building a bunch of fuzzes using the layouts from the Tagboard Effects blog. I think I built the following: Fuzz Factory, Woolly Mammoth, Green Russian Big Muff, DAM Meathead, One Knob Fuzz, Buzzaround. Probably breadboarded a bunch of others and have projects in various unfinished states.

Along the way, I bought a few: Behringer SF300, Danelectro French Toast, Carcosa, Havalina, Germ4 Big Muff, Keeley Fuzz Bender.

I like them all and the gross sounds that they make.

I kind of want to hear the best examples of the classic circuits at this point in life: the Fuzz Face, Tone Bender, etc.

I love my Fulltone '69 but I want something that is total chaos yet controllable. I have a Soul Bender which is cool but too polite. I once had a custom made searing fuzz that got all splatty and discombobulated when cranked but chilled out and cleaned up when you rolled back the volume. That thing was amazing but I sent it out to get fixed when it broke down and it never came back. It was so amazing.

I've had a couple opportunities to buy entire collections from people, it's a big investment with some duds but also quite a few gems. Usually works out to be around $100 per pedal, which is a bummer if its a Donner, but super cool if its something rare. I try to sell off the duds and a few cool ones that are redundant in my collection and recoup most of the money, then keep the ones I was going after in the first place. My most recent large score was from a guy who had passed away and his family was selling off his gear. He had a ton of killer pedals and was apparently on a first name basis with some famous builders. I got the JB FF in that big score; it's germanium but it's super smooth, almost more of an overdrive than a fuzz. Also in that big score was this Si Fuzz Face, in a rare blue color. It pays to pop the hood on new toys!
7autXWCl.jpg

For the Analogman, that's got the high gain RCA trannies. Not sure if Mike still has those available, I ordered that one in late 2019. I will say, it's tough to go wrong with a Sun Face. I love every one I've tried. :LOL:

Thanks for that, gut shots ftw. I love how Jorge Tripps hand made fuzz faces while at Dunlop just because he enjoys pedal building so much.

I've played a low gain RCA but not one of the high gain units.

Analogman Astrotone is an often overlooked super versatile fuzz. Kind of like a tamed fuzz face that plays well with pretty much all guitars and amps, and can do a nice crunchy distortion at lower levels. Its tone knob has a useful sweep that goes from fat to thin without ever getting muddy or too harsh. Put a klone after it and it rips.

I believe some fuzz pedals can be "hit or miss", while some are over-the-top gnarly/glitchy, others sound bland, tinny, muffled, etc, but certain ones are just perfect, and as always it's a matter of taste.

I'll try and go through the ones I currently own - I keep being drawn to MKII Bender and Foxx Tone Machine style circuits.

EHX Big Muff NYC
Not a fan tbh, but it's a classic for a reason, so I'll keep it. 🤷‍♂️

EHX Ripped Speaker
Criminally underrated, definitely one of my favorites! It's a versatile thing, but doesn't really clean up with the volume knob. Can do a good MKII impression, and more. Affordable, yet unexpectedly nice toanz can be coaxed from this. Not noisy, thanks to gating. I use it with "rip" and gain at noon, and tone cranked all the way, then match volume to taste.

Fulltone Ultimate Octave
As a huge fan of Homme, I had to have this. I love me some Foxx TM-inspired fuzz, so this is great fun. Three octave sounds very distinct in comparison to other TM style fuzzes, and it's a bold-sounding circuit. Can be noisy though (better not say, else Fuller is probably gonna kick my ass and scream insults, because it's always user error). Nice pedal tho. 😂 Love it for low gain/low tone octave stuff. Cleans up decently enough.

Idiotbox Ron Fuckin' Swanson Superfuzz
Love the artwork and the sounds. Not much to be said. Total mayhem, yet much less noise than I expected. This will literally rip you a new one if run into a dirty, loud amp. When I first tried it, I instantly understood why folks seem to go batshit crazy about the original Univox Superfuzz.

Ramble FX Twin Bender V3
I've always been stumbling upon its name, and got curious already, so when I first read of Tim Krueger's passing, I knew I had to order one immediately - or scalpers. Happy that I did, since it became my favorite fuzz to date. So versatile and quiet for a MKII fuzz, it's astonishing. The impedance and bias controls are a real treat!

HBE UFO
Yet another Foxx TM. Bought this during a trip to NYC back in 2008. Real bummer HBE is no more. Raunchier than the Fulltone, definitely up my alley! I guess it's true to the original circuit, since "vintage" mode sounds 100% identical to the Warm Audio FTB, right down to correlating knob positions and even output volume.

Warm Audio Foxy Tone Box
The third Foxx TM variant in my arsenal. I bought it mainly for the aesthetics and low price, but it's a nice surprise! Sounds much better than I thought it would. No big news here, since it's identical to the HBE UFO in "vintage" mode (see above). Probably a PITA to fit on a pedalboard, much more than the average-sized HBE. Shag carpet, huh...

Warm Audio Warm Bender
I bought this out of sheer curiosity. There's an ongoing ethical debate about its transistors, and I guess WA aren't telling the full story, which sucks, but the sounds are good. "Sag" mode, at a mere 3V, is a little too starved for my tastes, so I rather prefer going down to about 7-8V using the starve feature of my Palmer PSU. Not a fan of the MK1.5 mode (no surprise to me, tbh), and MKII sounds legit yet a tad too hissy for my ears (I'm an anti-noise snob), but I fell in love with the Silicon mode. If you're looking for low-gain fuzz, look elsewhere, that's for sure. Almost sounds like a "fuzztortion", and it's not on a versatile/tweakable side. Personally, I think WA nailed it tho. Never a dull moment... 🥰

These I remember selling on for good (honorable mentions)

ZVEX Fuzz Probe:
what a crazy thing! Used it for a while, usually reared gearheads wherever I took it. 😂 Fuzz Factory circuit with all its design flaws, and then some (a Theremin-style copper plate doesn't help, I guess?). Sounded cool until it developed grounding issues, which I fixed with a piece of cardboard. No PSU jack. At some point, I realized how difficult it was to recreate settings that I liked. Sounded different everywhere I went, even through the very same rig. I don't know... Definitely for the "explorers" among us - I do prefer reliability/consistency, so it sat on a shelf for a long time, until I passed it on. 🤷‍♂️

EHX Ge 4 BMP: nice concept, but too crowded and finicky. Really tried to bond, never could. 😒

Lovepedal Bone Tender: my first MKII style fuzz! Cool stuff, but a bit on the noisy side

EHX Little Big Muff: mehhhh.... Boring. Why did I actually buy this? 😂

Keeley Fuzz Bender: Loved it when I got it. After honeymoon ended, I started hearing a certain high-end fizz in the signal, that I never managed to dial out. Maybe that's just the way it is? Easily got lost in a full-band mix, also very picky about placement. Nah, not for me, sad as it is.

(EDIT) Next on my "buy and try" list

Ananashead Superfuzz V2
: made in EU (no import fees!), affordable, decent reputation, around 100€, blendable octave

JDM Silicon Humdinger: maybe some day, slightly above "just for fun" budget right now

Last edited:
The top boost switch was hell on treble earth but as a distortion pedal; it wasn't too bad.
A friend of mine swears by his. Not my cup of tea, but I get what he likes about it. Definitely not a Muff, beyond the name - same goes for the Ge4 BMP.

I guess a "Muff" sells better, so yeah, marketing, heh....

First and foremost - the DOD Carcosa is one of the best modern fuzz releases period. It is criminally overlooked because it’s not boutique, but it works for me with every guitar and every amp while providing absolute Velcro fuzz magic.

Aside from that I’ve always liked the fulltone 69/70 for ge/si fuzz face. The modern EHX muff variants are all good. The swollen pickle is legendary.

Tons of great fuzz options out there.

I am putting my 3 fave builders up. All are active and independent builders.

John is a modern day legend with his passion, his unique aesthetic appeal,
and his deep dive into the entire history and lexicon of Fuzz Pedals. He's
also a great cat! Trust me. You will drool when you check out his store. 🤤

Mike from Analogman needs no introduction. Everyone should try a Sunface
or 5. :LOL:

My only critique is his website. It is jank and so 1999. :facepalm

Lastly is Paul Trombetta. When he had a different build model and waiting list
with not so collectible prices I ended up owning a dozen or more. Now I have
none. His builds are instruments unto themselves. Too bad price of entry these
days is $800 or more. But yeah.... Rotobone is sublime.

I wanted a Trombetta for the longest time but prices and scarcity are real!

Man to my shame I'd actually forgotten about John Lyons, super nice dude and really helpful. He gave me tons of advice back on freestompboxes.

Speaking of Fuzz Been Experimenting with Deans Tone for STT there is a certain fuzziness about the guitar tone which with the underlying clean guitar might just work well
I'm pretty sure i can get it with the Fryette D60 More and crafting a Fuzz before to get what sounds damn closes to "see below"
Right now in my channels 3 contenders for tone shaping Hard Fuzz, Bosom Boost, and Mesa Gauss drive will be experimenting more till i find which is best
1722552844708.png

1722552874319.png

Here TINA this Mofo :grin

Last edited:
Back