The Fuzz Face Explorer Board Kit - a learning rig for this popular fuzz circuit and a great way to demo new and unexplored transistors for Fuzz

Here's a tool I designed to help you explore the classic Fuzz Face circuit. If you love fuzz this lil thing can help you design your own.

full-spread-1.jpg

A little about it:

1. It can help you explore the original Fuzz Face circuit in a neat and organized way. Jumper wire spaghetti be damned. Use some tried and true part number/resistor value combinations (I'd start here: https://fuzzcentral.ssguitar.com/fuzzface.php) and poke and prod and measure this thing until you get a feel for the push and pull of this circuit.
  2. Once you've gotten a feel for it with the standard part numbers and values, you can use this board to quickly hunt for and dial in ideal calibrations for any BJT transistor part numbers in your collection. Dig out a pair of transistors, check the datasheet (unless you want to just cowboy the thing and shoot form the hip), and tweak away as you try to dial in your fuzz.
  3. If you're feeling adventurous you may be able to tap any of the 5 test points (otherwise intended for measuring current flow at certain points in the circuit) to expand the circuit design by adding your own modifying elements, stages, etc. at these junctures. That’s more of a hacking route, but hacking is certainly in the spirit of what we’re all doing here, I think.

I've written a little more about it recently on reddit. And if you want to get a better sense of how it works you can try the guidebook PDF.

Here's the link to the kit:

Happy to hear it. It's all packed up and in the mail to you. I included a second PCB at not cost - why not, right?
Thank you so much! I'd already meant to comment that the price was great.

This will give me more room to experiment. Really appreciate it!

P.S. Really fast shipping. :)

Thanks for the kind words.

I especially appreciate your comment about the price. The price is low for two reasons:
  • I'm releasing these learning tools (that I designed for myself) to learn more about ecommerce and PCB / PCBA fabrication. The goal is to develop and release more 'enduser oriented' products down the road. So I'm not trying to make any real profit on these tools and jigs and tried to keep the costs down to an obviously good deal. It's neat enough to see the tools getting used and to learn about the process before I release (what I hope will be) more widely appealing and market ready products in the not so distant future. It's also been terrific getting to know some of the people in this community (and others like it). Most every interaction has been positive. That's unusual, in my opinion, for internet communities.
  • This particular kit had a silkscreen typo (which I corrected with a sticker - you can see it online). So because it's less than perfect, I knocked down the price.

As for the fast shipping - I'm just really excited about this whole process and I more or less drop everything and run when orders come in.

Thanks again!

Thanks for the kind words.

I especially appreciate your comment about the price. The price is low for two reasons:
  • I'm releasing these learning tools (that I designed for myself) to learn more about ecommerce and PCB / PCBA fabrication. The goal is to develop and release more 'enduser oriented' products down the road. So I'm not trying to make any real profit on these tools and jigs and tried to keep the costs down to an obviously good deal. It's neat enough to see the tools getting used and to learn about the process before I release (what I hope will be) more widely appealing and market ready products in the not so distant future. It's also been terrific getting to know some of the people in this community (and others like it). Most every interaction has been positive. That's unusual, in my opinion, for internet communities.
  • This particular kit had a silkscreen typo (which I corrected with a sticker - you can see it online). So because it's less than perfect, I knocked down the price.

As for the fast shipping - I'm just really excited about this whole process and I more or less drop everything and run when orders come in.

Thanks again!
Great stuff! Coincidentally, I was just chatting with a friend the other night about how fun it would be to design and build effects, but how daunting the idea of scaling up with PCB manufacture, distribution, etc. to try to make any kind of a living (i.e. "commerce") out of it is. At this stage in life, I don't really see taking this pursuit in a professional direction, but I really look forward to comparing notes with you as we both move forward.

Agreed, this is a great community. The guys doing the "gatekeeping" here have excellent instincts. :D

(I did see the note on your website about the PCB typo. Thanks for calling it out.)

Back