TH-U Fluid IRs

But - if the IR and the mic'ed cab sound the same...is the IR failing to capture anything that actually exists? I captured IRs from whisper quiet up to "yeah, I'm gonna get a text from the neighbors about THAT one" levels and could not hear a difference in any of the IRs captured. I guess I just wasn't QUITE AT THE VOLUME WHERE SPEAKER DRIVE IS A THING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'd say any speaker drive would be subtle and possibly highly speaker model dependent. There's also a good interview with a Jensen speaker designer where he says that they are pretty much linear until you get to extreme volumes...and unless you're Motörhead, you generally don't play anywhere near that loud.

90% of the "cranked sounds better" is about how we perceive volume, how it bounces around in the space and so on.

I'd say any speaker drive would be subtle and possibly highly speaker model dependent. There's also a good interview with a Jensen speaker designer where he says that they are pretty much linear until you get to extreme volumes...and unless you're Motörhead, you generally don't play anywhere near that loud.

90% of the "cranked sounds better" is about how we perceive volume, how it bounces around in the space and so on.
Yeah, I remember that interview. And the articles Jay has linked to before.

I think that is saying that the total harmonic distortion of the speaker is 100% or more?

it's a lot of distortion, really crude driver, people say the cab is 50% of the tone.

I been obsessed for years with "interacting early reflections" after the IR to let the "harmonics bloom and interact", I think my lizard brain might have been trying to synthesize/extract/magnify these actual frequency dependant dynamic speaker harmonics with early reflections LOL

1000131665.gif

it's a lot of distortion, really crude driver, people say the cab is 50% of the tone.
Can is 50 percent of the tone, honestly points AWAY from 100% harmonic distortion. If that were true I would expect, for clean tones, the cab to be like 90%+ of the time.

I´m curious about this TH-U feature: Fluid IRs.

I´d like to know thoughts of you, mates with deep knowledge of modeling, profiling and IR tech.

Is it just marketing? Has it any advantage? Did anyone try it? Is it from Overloud or... ?

Honestly, I really like TH-U for the rig player. I must say I strongly suspect it´s some kind of disguised Kemper loader, but can´t prove it. "Fluis IRs" name sounds also similar to "Liquid profiling"... even though they are different things.

Thoughts?

Ive been a THU customer since lonnnnnng time ago. THU sounds great, they where the first ones to offer captures in a plug-in format.

This new offering sounds great, makes the IRs feel more lively. What ever they are doing with this its giving us something good, and it is NOT the same as what bogrendigital offers with the IRDX plug, witch is also really cool.

“Fluid IRs…” “Liquid Profiling…” FFS. These companies and their stupid marketing terms.
That was going to be my comment word for word but I refrained, doing the lords work here.

I'm going to shoot out some IRs here in the next couple of days to do a "What exactly is wrong with IRs" video?
Partially because afaik IRs are 99.9% dead on and all these things are just adding "tasteful" processing. Which is totally fine but start the conversation and marketing as "take your IR to the next level" not "theres a problem with IRs". I have a feeling my IRs will be identical the mic position but my mind is open, its a win/win experiment for me.

What regular ol' IRs don't do is things like speaker drive - which modelers like Fractal emulate in the amp block anyway.

maybe that's why when dudes run fractal through power amp and real cab it's like HOLY WTF

cab block is a linear bottle neck for any harmonics generated by anything upstream

maybe that's why when dudes run fractal through power amp and real cab it's like HOLY WTF

cab block is a linear bottle neck for any harmonics generated by anything upstream
To me it's all about how that real guitar cab in the room behaves. Namely you lose most of the high end by standing off axis to it, it tends to be directional, and you are likely to play it louder than a "FRFR" system because of the above.

It's been proven that a cab sim sounds very much the same as micing the cab. If you wanted, you could mic your own cab, make an IR out of it, and then compare the recorded tracks through both. They sound pretty much the same.

So it's not some magic in the real guitar rig, it's a difference in how we perceive it in the room. With my cabs just taking a few steps in any direction will heavily change how it sounds.

it's not some magic in the real guitar rig

no magic, but there's movement, irl, and in a real speaker recording. I used to think it was early reflections movement, it's harmonic movement. like rolling tape

I been obsessed for years with "interacting early reflections" after the IR to let the "harmonics bloom and interact", I think my lizard brain might have been trying to synthesize/extract/magnify these actual frequency dependant dynamic speaker harmonics with early reflections LOL

View attachment 23463
Your adjective game is great. But I have never heard examples of what these things actually sound like from you and that iloud monitor pair photo has always conflicted in my lizard brain with the adjective word salad you apply to guitar tones.

no magic, but there's movement, irl, and in a real speaker recording. I used to think it was early reflections movement, it's harmonic movement. like rolling tape
But, on topic, to the extent differences are present between an IR and a live recording of the mic/cab combination, they are very small. Yet, the differences between the standard IR and these fluid IRs are HUGE.

It's all a giant mind - F anyhow.

How many times do we dial in a tone, in Native, Helix, Fractal, QC or whatever plugin, only to come back a few days later thinking, WTF was I thinking??!! This sounds like ass.
So true.......but then you dial one in that sounds great every time you play through it, and it's like :chef

They gave this IR loader to existing customers for free when it came out. It is cool. Add a couple of Big Hairy Guitars cabinets and amp profiles and you are stylin. Sorry for the necrobump.

They gave this IR loader to existing customers for free when it came out. It is cool. Add a couple of Big Hairy Guitars cabinets and amp profiles and you are stylin. Sorry for the necrobump.
Thanks. You made me read more Amp where I'm at BS. :rofl

Back