TH-U Fluid IRs

Sedaxel

Roadie
I´m curious about this TH-U feature: Fluid IRs.

I´d like to know thoughts of you, mates with deep knowledge of modeling, profiling and IR tech.

Is it just marketing? Has it any advantage? Did anyone try it? Is it from Overloud or... ?

Honestly, I really like TH-U for the rig player. I must say I strongly suspect it´s some kind of disguised Kemper loader, but can´t prove it. "Fluis IRs" name sounds also similar to "Liquid profiling"... even though they are different things.

Thoughts?

Blah Blah Blah Reaction GIF

harmonics don't lie, ain't getting any harmonics coming through helix or fractal cabs. (never saw any added harmonics demonstration with IRDX).

fractal cab preamp or helix retro reel will add harmonics i guess, but those aren't gonna be speaker harmonics, definitely not freq dependant either

Blah....Blah...EQ....Blah....Blah Annoying, Marketing speak happy voice ......Blah blah......

ETA....UP SELL, UP SELL, UP SELL.

They sound fine I guess.

It's all a giant mind - F anyhow.

How many times do we dial in a tone, in Native, Helix, Fractal, QC or whatever plugin, only to come back a few days later thinking, WTF was I thinking??!! This sounds like ass.

I´m curious about this TH-U feature: Fluid IRs.

I´d like to know thoughts of you, mates with deep knowledge of modeling, profiling and IR tech.

Is it just marketing? Has it any advantage? Did anyone try it? Is it from Overloud or... ?

Honestly, I really like TH-U for the rig player. I must say I strongly suspect it´s some kind of disguised Kemper loader, but can´t prove it. "Fluis IRs" name sounds also similar to "Liquid profiling"... even though they are different things.

Thoughts?

Those graphs seem insane to me, but I'm no @jay mitchell . The one at 1:44-ish is showing a 3rd order harmonic that is what, 65-70% as loud as the fundamental? The area under all of those harmonic peaks is the same or more than the area under the fundamental, by my eye-balls. I think that is saying that the total harmonic distortion of the speaker is 100% or more?

At the end of the day, this is what I notice:

(1) I've listened to loads of demos of folks comparing an IR to the cab mic'ed in the same way the IR was captured and...I'll be damned if I can definitively hear differences when playing those back through my near field monitors.

(2) I just listened to that video on my laptop speakers and could easily hear a difference between the "standard" IR and the "Liquid" IR. They did not do a comparison of the liquid IR to the actual cab the liquid IR is supposed to sound like. So some transative property analysis on the above, I'm left with (1) a standard IR sounds at least nearly indistinguishable from the mic'ed cab that it is supposed to model, to my ears; (2) a liquid IR sounds noticeably different from the IR that it is a modification of, even on sub-par monitoring system; (3) Thus, a liquid IR would sound noticeably different than the mic'ed cab that it is supposed to model.

Last edited:
Relatedly, isn't this low end IR issue partly what the FAS UltraRes format was trying to address?
I don't think so. This is about "accurately" capturing what is happening at frequencies above the bass region; UltraRes is aimed at "accurately" capturing actual bass region.

(1) I've listened to loads of demos of folks comparing an IR to the cab mic'ed in the same way the IR was captured and...I'll be damned if I can definitively hear differences when playing those back through my near field monitors.
I've even made my own, using a nearly flat reference mic, and to my ears the miced sound vs the IR sound was very much the same when you listen to the recorded sound from the mic vs the recorded sound through the IR.

What regular ol' IRs don't do is things like speaker drive - which modelers like Fractal emulate in the amp block anyway.

What regular ol' IRs don't do is things like speaker drive - which modelers like Fractal emulate in the amp block anyway.
But - if the IR and the mic'ed cab sound the same...is the IR failing to capture anything that actually exists? I captured IRs from whisper quiet up to "yeah, I'm gonna get a text from the neighbors about THAT one" levels and could not hear a difference in any of the IRs captured. I guess I just wasn't QUITE AT THE VOLUME WHERE SPEAKER DRIVE IS A THING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back