Ten billion profiles/captures = one amp

Re: the static capture/profile vs a modeler vs. a dynamic profile

• Yes, that simply makes the capture as good as a top quality amp sim.

Votes: 11 78.6%
  • No, capturing is superior to even the best amp modeling to date so that would be a Game Changer!

Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters
Dave Chappelle GIF

Hey all !

On a much more significant issue ...... I'm a bit slow on this whole inter-webs thing ... but I just got my first "clown" emoji ... is that a "good thing" -or- a "not so good thing" (?) ;) :)

Ben

But what kinda bugs me us that dynamic not static nonsense. It bugs me as much on speaker sims (like Ox etc) as here.

Hey Ed !

^^^ I'm probably more guilty than most about over- using the "dynamics" descriptor when discussing guitar-modeler interaction.

By way of background ..... I used to have Treble Bleeds on all my guitars to keep them bright when I rolled down the Volume but eventually took them all off as it -to me- made it brighter but lost a lot of body ......

So for me ...... I cant even remotely technically explain or technically describe dynamics ..... but my dumb-guitar-player "test" for dynamics is rolling the Volume down -and at the same time- playing at very different right-hand intensities at all different Volume knob positions.

All the units *are* great ...period ..... and I think (?) its mainly dictated by how well the impedance is implemented and the quality of the Analog I/O circuitry before/after the AD/DA converters ... I'm thinking also really good algorithms don't hurt either..

It actually wasn't something I really thought or felt about until I got the GT .... which has just a fixed 1M Ohm Input Impedance ... but as soon as I started playing it .... something was instantly different ..... it was just an instant "wow" moment - still had my FM3 and Helix then so went back and forth a lot to make sure I wasnt "honey-mooning" .... I wasnt.

Whatever people think of the KPA, it has always had - to me- class leading dynamics as I describe them above ....... L.P's just seem to somehow further "enhance" this ..... again ... to me.

Mind you ... whenever I read "dynamic IR's" I tend to throw-up a little bit in my mouth at the extent of the B.S being promulgated :)

Ben

Last edited:
It's good that something similar doesn't happen with the impulse responses!
Yep ;) .... UAD and Two Notes are masters at this "dynamic IR" B.S ....... to my surprise ..... even Thomas Blug with his upcoming (?) Amp X is promoting [to my surprise] " Dynamic IR's " for the Amp X.

Never let reality get in the way of marketing B.S.

Anyone want some low-fat bottled plain water ? ;) .... I've got plenty on tap ! :)

Ben

I always thought the “dynamic” component wasn’t a suggestion that it was providing an actual fluxuating response to the power amp section the way a speaker is in a real world relation to a tube power amp output. But rather, it was to suggest there are many IRs that the dynamic IR references as you move the mic positions around and change mics, etc and any other parameters the software offers you.

I always thought the “dynamic” component wasn’t a suggestion that it was providing an actual fluxuating response to the power amp section the way a speaker is in a real world relation to a tube power amp output. But rather, it was to suggest there are many IRs that the dynamic IR references as you move the mic positions around and change mics, etc and any other parameters the software offers you.

dynamic
/daɪˈnæmɪk/
adjective
[more dynamic; most dynamic]
a : always active or changinG

b : having or showing a lot of energy

technical : of or relating to energy, motion, or physical force

Back