Fractal FM3 vs Line 6 HX Stomp XL?

Ledvedder

Groupie
I know this question has probably been asked hundreds of times. I had an FM9 last year, but ended up selling it for 2 reasons. It was kind of overkill for what I needed, and I couldn't justify the price tag. So recently, I got an HX Stomp XL, since it was more reasonably priced. But I'm not in love with it, like I was with the tones of the FM9. The display is also much harder to see at gigs. I do feel like it'll just take some more time to dial it in. I've been using an HX Effects for quite a while in 4 cable method with my amps. Using it for pre and post effects. But I'd use either the FM or HX Stomp XL for an all-in-one solution. I'm wondering if I should return the HX Stomp XL and go for an FM3. Just looking for some opinions.

Last edited:
Sums It Up The Office GIF

I've been using an HX Effects for quite a while in 4 cable method with my amp. Using it for pre and post effects. I'm wondering if I should return the HX Stomp XL and go for an FM3.

I currently own an FM9, and used to own an FM3.

I love the FAS gear, and the FM3 is great value but there are necessary compromises at that price point. I personally don't feel that the FM3 shines in 4CM; that's not its strong suit. It's wonderful for all-in-the-box signal chains though.

Both the FM9 and Axe-FX III use exactly the same low(er) noise components in the audio path; the FM3 doesn't. Also, if you'd like to use certain fuzz models, then the FM3 doesn't have variable input impedance.

Last edited:
I currently own an FM9, and used to own an FM3.

I love the FAS gear, and the FM3 is great value but there are necessary compromises at that price point. I personally don't feel that the FM3 shines in 4CM; that's not its strong suit. It's wonderful for all-in-the-box signal chains though.

Both the FM9 and Axe-FX III use exactly the same low(er) noise components in the audio path; the FM3 doesn't. Also, if you'd like to use certain fuzz models, then the FM3 doesn't have variable input impedance.
I still have my HX Effects, and I'd use that when I want to play my real amps. I'd only use the FM3 for all-in-one gigs.

Hmm, what's the difference with the audio path components?

I'd only use the FM3 for all-in-one gigs.

Ahh. Well that's all good then. Go for it!

Hmm, what's the difference with the audio path components?

I don't think the specifics have ever been published. It's just mentioned on the FAS Wiki.

Hmm... I can now only find this in the wiki concerning the FM3:

"While the audio path isn't identical to an Axe-Fx III the quality of the path and components is comparable.".

So nothing to worry about, then!

I just thought the FM3 was slightly noisier in 4CM with my Suhr Bella (now gone) than the FM9 was, and wouldn't select it for 4CM myself; even with Humbuster cables (which I tried), but that's obviously no longer an issue here.

Ahh. Well that's all good then. Go for it!

I don't think the specifics have ever been published. It's just mentioned on the FAS Wiki.

Hmm... I can now only find this in the wiki concerning the FM3:

"While the audio path isn't identical to an Axe-Fx III the quality of the path and components is comparable.".

So nothing to worry about, then!

I just thought it was slightly noisier in 4CM with my Suhr Bella (now gone) than the FM9 was.

Cliff has said 4cm is not the FM3's strong point and the FM9 is amazing/equal to the III in that regard, over at the Fractal forum.

Cliff has said 4cm is not the FM3's strong point and the FM9 is amazing/equal to the III in that regard, over at the Fractal forum.

Excellent.

I thought I recalled him saying something like that, but didn't want to misrepresent him. It's fair enough - it is what it is and 4CM doesn't seem to be the primary design goal of the FM3.

The OP already said the FM9 was overkill after owning it once upon a time.

Anyone actually read around here anymore. :hmm

:rofl

Don't listen to these hard sells on the FM9. Been there, done that. Trust your gut. :beer

The OP already said the FM9 was overkill after owning it once upon a time.

Anyone actually read around here anymore. :hmm

Don't listen to these hard sells on the FM9. Been there, done that. Trust your gut. :beer

Wut? I only said that if 4CM was his goal, then perhaps the FM3 wouldn't be the best choice. And I simply used the FM9 as reference / comparable on 4CM noise levels because I'd owned both.

Not trying to sell our friend an FM9. Well not much, anyway.

Bleurghh. Did you eat breakfast yet LS?

Here, have a cheerio. I saved you some of mine:

cheerio.png

Last edited:
I read that the OP had the FM9 before, but felt it was overkill for his uses,
and he was asking about the lowly FM3 even in the thread title. Said he used
HX FX in 4CM with amps, but wanted the FM3 for an all-in-one solution apart
from hauling amps. Also said he was not impressed with Stomp XL

Did I miss anything? Or should we keep talking about the FM9 some more? :LOL:

I read that the OP had the FM9 before, but felt it was overkill for his uses,
and he was asking about the lowly FM3 even in the thread title. Said he used
HX FX in 4CM with amps, but wanted the FM3 for an all-in-one solution apart
from hauling amps. Also said he was not impressed with Stomp XL

Did I miss anything? Or should we keep talking about the FM9 some more? :LOL:

Well, to be fair, @Ledvedder doesn't explicitly say he wants the FM3 as an all-in-one, at least in the OP. He also throws in the info about HXFX and 4cm, which while interesting, is a bit off-topic and confuses things somewhat. I see where @jellodog was coming from.

Oh and by the way, @Ledvedder, welcome, and have you heard how awesome the FM9 is in 4cm? :rofl

Back