TC Plethora

Mongillo19

Rock Star
Anyone use one or try one? Honestly just looking for effects loop effects (reverb delay chorus etc)

Probably decent enough if you're only in for modulation/delay/reverb.

Good say though, I was torn between this and the HX FX back in 2020, and I'm still glad I went and bought the HX FX.

No regrets there, and really enjoying firmware updates each time they happen. Like a secret drawer holding pedals that I didn't know I had...

Which feels like a dream, actually, but they're really there after you wake up. LOL thanks, ADHD-induced random creativity.

Probably decent enough if you're only in for modulation/delay/reverb.

Good say though, I was torn between this and the HX FX back in 2020, and I'm still glad I went and bought the HX FX.

No regrets there, and really enjoying firmware updates each time they happen. Like a secret drawer holding pedals that I didn't know I had...

Which feels like a dream, actually, but they're really there after you wake up. LOL thanks, ADHD-induced random creativity.
Appreciate the reply! I think I've decided on the HX FX actually. Just seems more capable

Beware of the fixed impedance though, compared to its HX and Helix brethren. Don't get me wrong, I love my HX FX. <3
Yeah I've bounced between the HX FX and stomp. I really just need the effects and like the strips. I can't say I've ever messed with the impedance before so I should be ok?

I initially bought the HX FX. I had issues with the latency between patches - very well could have been my fault, but didn't have enough time to go through it to figure it out. I have the Plethora X5 now. Definitely good for modulation effects through the loop. My only complaint is switching between boards. Otherwise, the effects themselves are great. I really like how I can have multiple effects on simultaneously.

I initially bought the HX FX. I had issues with the latency between patches - very well could have been my fault, but didn't have enough time to go through it to figure it out. I have the Plethora X5 now. Definitely good for modulation effects through the loop. My only complaint is switching between boards. Otherwise, the effects themselves are great. I really like how I can have multiple effects on simultaneously.
Great! Yeah I'm looking at the X3 as the 5 is a little too chunky. If HX FX used prices werent low I'd be more tempted for the Plethora...I can't seem to find any used ones on reverb

I bought an X3 to use with my Tonex pedal. It's way more than just mods, delays and reverbs. Harmony, pitch shift, looper, comp, tuner.

I added a Nux Queen of Tone. Smaller Pedaltrain with a Voodoo Lab Digital. The Tonex runs on 9VDC 400mA, the Plethora is on a current doubler 9VDC/2 x 400mA(powers up on 1 x 400mA port but call for >600mA). and the Nux on another 9VDC.
Sweet little board for practice. 1/4" Y cable to 1/8" stereo jack goes into high end PC speakers at work desk.

You mean latency between presets?

That's not the way it works, to be fair.

It's either snapshots or stompbox mode, but switching between presets will ALWAYS get you a very short (we're talking milliseconds here) audible gap, which really is normal to the nature of digital multieffects units. That's just the DSP loading the preset, actually.

Had one. Toneprints were pretty good presets that really couldn't be edited. In the end, it did me no good to hear great artist presets that couldn't be tweaked for my use. I ended up with the HX Effects, which I really like.

Had one. Toneprints were pretty good presets that really couldn't be edited. In the end, it did me no good to hear great artist presets that couldn't be tweaked for my use. I ended up with the HX Effects, which I really like.
Yup. Once I learned where Toneprints "come from", I was frustrated. Owned a Sub'n'up Mini for a while, never got to bond, believe me I've tried hard.

You mean latency between presets?

That's not the way it works, to be fair.

It's either snapshots or stompbox mode, but switching between presets will ALWAYS get you a very short (we're talking milliseconds here) audible gap, which really is normal to the nature of digital multieffects units. That's just the DSP loading the preset, actually.
As I said, it could likely have just been my impatience, and I'm ok with that.

As I said, it could likely have just been my impatience, and I'm ok with that.
Nah, I guess we're still not clear enough here - what exactly do you mean by "latency between patches", are you talking about switching presets? A very short gap is absolutely normal then, since there's 9 blocks (the number might vary, depending on which HX/Helix device you're using) loading effects, no matter what their status is.

Apart from that, which is the behaviours of DSP modeling units, there's no switching "latency" in HX/Helix devices.

Latency caused solely by "user impatience" would be a new concept. ;)

Please try and be coherent.

Nah, I guess we're still not clear enough here - what exactly do you mean by "latency between patches", are you talking about switching presets? A very short gap is absolutely normal then, since there's 9 blocks (the number might vary, depending on which HX/Helix device you're using) loading effects, no matter what their status is.

Apart from that, which is the behaviours of DSP modeling units, there's no switching "latency" in HX/Helix devices.

Latency caused solely by "user impatience" would be a new concept. ;)

Please try and be coherent.
Yes, I had gaps switching between presets. I have occasions where I build up effects through the course of a song. A gap of silence between each button press was not going to work for me in that scenario. In my Kemper, I have no such gaps. (My HX FX was on my backup board, not used with the Kemper.) With my Plethora, I have no gaps, and I can stomp on any of the 5 footswitches, leaving whichever effect on or off.
I freely admit I was in a bit of a hurry, so I would be willing to bet I could have figured all of this out. At the time, I happened to have both units at the same time and just stayed with the Plethora.

Yes, I had gaps switching between presets. I have occasions where I build up effects through the course of a song. A gap of silence between each button press was not going to work for me in that scenario. In my Kemper, I have no such gaps. (My HX FX was on my backup board, not used with the Kemper.) With my Plethora, I have no gaps, and I can stomp on any of the 5 footswitches, leaving whichever effect on or off.
I freely admit I was in a bit of a hurry, so I would be willing to bet I could have figured all of this out. At the time, I happened to have both units at the same time and just stayed with the Plethora.
So, you're basically saying that loading one five-effect bank/preset on the Plethora and then switching to a completely different five-effect chain, loading five other models, would not produce a millisecond-sized gap?

So, you're basically saying that loading one five-effect bank/preset on the Plethora and then switching to a completely different five-effect chain, loading five other models, would not produce a millisecond-sized gap?
No. Switching between banks does have a slight gap. But switching between each effect in a bank does not. My experience with the HX produced gaps between effects on the same bank.

No. Switching between banks does have a slight gap. But switching between each effect in a bank does not. My experience with the HX produced gaps between effects on the same bank.
Thanks, now I understand! :D

Still weird tho, because HX/Helix doesn't behave like that. Anyhow, it's good that you're happy with the Plethora! ;)

Back