Tales from.. ..The StrapLab!

@Moondog Wily very kind of you to say. That Vito fella is something else! Metal to the Core!

I was going to finish the Spice Merchants today, but after mailing off a strap this morning to Kansas, i found a treasure in my mailbox.

It was a 3" leather link belt I found online a couple weeks ago, finally came in. Much of the day was spent giving this leather some love, re-dying it cause it was fading. I then replenished the natural oils with neatsfoot, and used Fiebings conditioner. This afternoon I was able to do what I do with the two hour conversion to turn this fairly rare 3" wide killer link belt into a super fine guitar strap.

I find these don't need padding - it would kind of wreck the vintage vibez. I also don't want to sew seams into this beautiful leather. This strap has a bit of natural "spring" to them, this one works between 49-63" which is pretty long. It's a back-buckle style, easy to work with but if you have a precious minty guitar, best between 55"+ as the buckle may make contact the way it comes together.

I can tell you this is the sort of piece cool gear cravers will try to buy right off your back. I know this for a fact!

7Sjny1Nv_o.jpg

bTWG1WRV_o.jpg

As a strapmaker, I have to say this is one of my very favourite designs. This is the third conversion I have made in over a dozen years, as this belt does not show up often. Selfishly, I kept the first two I made back for my personal gear horde, one black, one brown (black one below on my Hamer). This time I am sharing the wealth.

BMsGKaLt_o.jpg

Strap above sold within minutes of being listed on Reverb. I hope it was a Gear Forum brother!

Sorry watchers of the StrapLab... I've been away for awhile, my son graduating from University, proud ma and pa, a bit of other traveling and such... We now got us an bonifide Computer Engineer in the family, maybe I can finally get my printer hooked up right LOL

mortarboard throw.jpg

Very proud of my son. I myself could only hack a couple of years at university back in the 80's
(mostly because I majored in music jams and partying) so he has has bested me big time, and won' t let me forget it either.

Ok that done, this morning I finally got some goods listed that I had finished a few days ago... When I found this ribbon online, it reminded me of a tribal feel. Then, when it showed up in-person, I noticed looking at the pattern, seemed to be a very angry man staring back at me. Kind of struck a chord with me, so to speak, so I named it "Angry Tribe" - Is it just me, or does anyone else out there find themselves looking around at the current state of things and feel it too?

angry tribe.jpg

I had just enough ribbon to build four, so it's a highly limited edition, and quite striking. This is in my tried and true typical 3" wide black leather "1969" format, with the 2" ribbon sewn securely on top of a comfy leather strap. Beautifully padded, also incorporated a few nickel rivets to each one, seemed to help juice up the pattern a little bit, give it a bit of a malevolent glint.

FzIMM3ya_o.jpg

Ladder back adjust, thick leather ends, go 42"-56" which is about five inches more than your typical Ladder style. Very comfortable, and just perfect for a great hot flash of angry colour for a red guitar. Happy Canada Day Weekend to my Canuckian
guitar brothers and Sistahs!

Last edited:
@Moondog Wily thank you sir! He wants to spend his time on Games!

Picked up this "Chrome" plated elasticized scale belt the other day, and it's taken me a while to figure out how to attach to a strap body.
I ended up using a bunch of very small nuts and bolts, trimming off the bolts on the backside, and covering with nice padding so you won't feel em.

Rock trivia buffs may recognize this as something similar to the Python strap, designed back in the 60's specifically for Lennon. I believe he wore his on the historic Ed Sullivan appearance that changed the modern music world. I think John Lee Hooker wore a brass version for a time too. Vox has re-issued their original design a couple of times, some seem to love them... The ends seemed really skinny and a bit sketchy to me, looking at photos. Some note they look great but aren't much for comfort. On the luxuriously padded 3" wide Well-Hung base, that problem is fully addressed. But this is NOT a straplica of the real deal, only a rough approximation... wider, longer... with a wide ladderback adjustment. if you are in a tribute band, most wouldn't know the difference, I'll bet.

It's made with a found item "belt" so it goes in to the No Prisoners line as "Day Trip" and it aches to carry a nice Rickenbacker

LkItyzeh_o.jpg

This is not an ideal strap if you have long hair. It'll get tangled up quick and that won't be fun at all.
But I gotta tell you, the reflection/mirror show biz vibe is for real.

WeiDhPfN_o.jpg

JY5qoaUM_o.jpg

Comfy body, kind of a badass vibe, good strong leather nose and tail, as I always do. It'll be up on Reverb tomorrow.

So I get these little gifts from my mother-in-law from time to time who works in the back end of a thrift shop. They often end up with things they don't know what they are, unsure if they are re-sellable. So instead of the dumpster, if my MIL thinks I might be able to use it, she'll keep it for me.

This strap, (after a little research) used to be a "Booty Band." Now, I know what you're thinkin', and no, not that kind of booty band.
It's a fitness thing, like resistance training so ladies can get thems that ultra-desirable booty, in their ongoing attempts to enslave us forever

71gUORY6T9L._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

Anyway. I got me one, in pink 'n black python pattern, cut it apart, and made a strap out of it. It's a very heavy duty multi-layered woven elastic. Even has rubber woven into the underside so it won't slip during the booty exercise. And, as it just so happens to be, pretty much the ideal stretch weight for a 9 pound guitar. Surprisingly thick and strong too.

5jpwvFyj_o.jpg

Very effective as a strap. Comfy, no padding required. Non-slip. 3-1/8" wide. Strong black leather ends. On about a 9lb. pull, about 1" stretch, and it doesn't want to go "bow-wow-wow" like a some kind of circus clown strap. Sits real nice. Hardly cost me much to make, only some leather and a couple hours. So, call this a prototype/experiment, now in the store and priced pretty low.

H3W1mwpy_o.jpg

For the right guitar, and a fella willing to take a chance, you will be very pleased, I think.

Also new in the store this morning, a pair of new "Five Crosses." These are kind of special. Each one features five hand-tooled thick leather crosses, on a vintage white leather base. Heavy leather ends. @Iron1 sports one of these, a custom ordered version.

ToAoxW4R_o.jpg

I don't often make white straps. To me they're like white boots, or white belts... sort of feminine.
The only way they seem to work is with big dark elements on them a la SRV or, these Iommi crosses.
The indigo features dark blue crosses, with an Ace of Spades concho and dark blue denim lining

s7YDABP5_o.jpg

ZveAnnVU_o.jpg

I flat-smashed the rivets, so it ends up they work as tiny glittery mirrors when you move under lights. Cool "notice me" effect. Both of these work in the 47-60" range. The red crosses have a slightly different element in the center, and red crushed velvet as a lining, otherwise the same, nicely padded and ready to go to work on stages big or small. Great close up, and far away as well.

Xse8f3jt_o.jpg

7cE5nmJC_o.jpg

Started a series this afternoon I've been putting off for like forever! See ya tomorrow.

@Thrifty - the gem encrusted one? I like it too.. was just playing it last night! No gems have come off... yet!
Thank you for dropping by the Straplab thread, I hope you visit again and again!

I started these yesterday, but managed to finish the first three about half an hour ago.

This is the first edition of a new series I'm calling "Denim Demon" where i take strange denims
I find and turn them into super limited run guitar straps. There are plenty of denim straps out there,
but they tend to be run of the mill regular denim. With a huge variety of patterns out there, ,
I'm taking this series on a one way train to crazytown!

I don't even know what I'm going to call these, taking suggestions. But they are faded denim with velvety taupe coloured leopard spots all that worn light blue. Black lining, black leather nose and tail. probably run between 46-59 in length. Very comfy. Hope to have them up in the store tomorrow or possibly Friday morning. There will be more, as I find more fun denims.

e4AWCtmV_o.jpg

The delay may be because this Well-Hung tribemember Shane in Portland is about to receive this absolute unit/monstrosity from a possibly clearly insane builder, and has asked me for help.

bzQByl4j_o.jpg

Several clues lead me to believe it is some sort of guitar, or stringed instrument. Including the fact that he wants me to make a custom strap for it. Why did he come to me? Well he recently found two of my straps on Reverb, and was instantly converted. He figures I'm to guy that can help him comfortably heft this 18 pounder, un-stringed.

tumblr_nzd8ryuvvt1qzpn6vo1_r1_540.gif

If ever there was a Portlandia guitar, this gotta be it. But I do love a challenge.

@Thrifty - the gem encrusted one? I like it too.. was just playing it last night! No gems have come off... yet!
Thank you for dropping by the Straplab thread, I hope you visit again and again!

I started these yesterday, but managed to finish the first three about half an hour ago.

This is the first edition of a new series I'm calling "Denim Demon" where i take strange denims
I find and turn them into super limited run guitar straps. There are plenty of denim straps out there,
but they tend to be run of the mill regular denim. With a huge variety of patterns out there, ,
I'm taking this series on a one way train to crazytown!

I don't even know what I'm going to call these, taking suggestions. But they are faded denim with velvety taupe coloured leopard spots all that worn light blue. Black lining, black leather nose and tail. probably run between 46-59 in length. Very comfy. Hope to have them up in the store tomorrow or possibly Friday morning. There will be more, as I find more fun denims.

e4AWCtmV_o.jpg

The delay may be because this Well-Hung tribemember Shane in Portland is about to receive this absolute unit/monstrosity from a possibly clearly insane builder, and has asked me for help.

bzQByl4j_o.jpg

Several clues lead me to believe it is some sort of guitar, or stringed instrument. Including the fact that he wants me to make a custom strap for it. Why did he come to me? Well he recently found two of my straps on Reverb, and was instantly converted. He figures I'm to guy that can help him comfortably heft this 18 pounder, un-stringed.

tumblr_nzd8ryuvvt1qzpn6vo1_r1_540.gif

If ever there was a Portlandia guitar, this gotta be it. But I do love a challenge.
New strap name suggestion: Well-Hung "Spotted Wow" (take off on spotted cow as they look like spotted cow patterns to me)!

Trippy guitar, good luck on the challenge!!

I'm helping keep Portland weird, one strap at a time!

hFCcQq0h_o.jpg

it's a little bit wacky, perfect for a wack guitar! But the "High Society" SkyHook version is complete and it took me all damn day LOL! Without having the actual instrument, (Wisnu is the maker, BTW never heard of him but he's big on instagram/f-book), I cannot test it. I can approximate double the weight pull downwards, but the long unwieldy shape what is being built of it made me want to make a slightly longer auxiliary / outrigger strap. I made is adjustable with my double d-ring system so he'll be able to easily hitch it up on the fly. Admittedly it is a bit of a dance to get into this rig tho, I'll bet Don Johnson would be great at it LOL!

wrPgXbOC_o.jpg

I used a toggle and a metal ring affair on the back so the outrigger detaches quickly, but is still secure. I have a feeling this 3.5" ultra padded strap alone might handle that beast adequately, for at least a few songs, 18 lbs for five or sixe may require the outrigger. As I understand it, the plans for the doubleneck are to be used as more of a finale/encore sort of deal

Used red/brown oil-tanned leather and lots of antique and brassy hardware to match the aesthetic the luthier was going for,
and it totally works with the High Society strap, so it should all come together like it belongs as a complete unit.

I'M going to send along a set of my gold Pro-Pins strap buttons because only my jumbo pins will accommodate two straps of the thicker
than normal leather I usually use for noses and tail ends. Only one at the front, and two to be attached at the back of the guitar.

BIekY8dz_o.jpg

kvEfIyLv_o.jpg

It absolutely is a bit of a "constraption," hard to get decent photos of.

I should acknowledge I have totally made fun of such rigs many times before online because to me they look ridonkulous.
But, in specific cases like this to wear a monster of a guitar, I guess we can make an exception for such an exceptional case.
I don't want to see such a thing hooked to a regular guitar. Buddy, it's time you took up harmonica or something
else you can physically handle

This was a challenge, I can't wait to see if it works proper and helps Shane in Portland out.

Haven't posted here for a bit, been doing a bit of camping, got myself injured in a mountain bike spill, kind of sidelined me for a bit,
I'm recovering though through rehab.... just regular mundane old man type fun.

The shop usually slows a bit for the summer, but I still like to keep fun stuff cookin'
New in the store soon will be these set of fleek'd out, on-point 3" wide sliding buckle babies

ZT2BPYrv_o.jpg

I know, I know!

steve-buscemi-cool.gif

Truth is I know many of you rely on Well-Hung to help you surf the crest of all the latest dumb trends so you can appear on stage
like you are drippin' with high key riz, which helps you avoid looking like a bunch of disconnected old boomerish fuddy-duddies, amirite?

I actually like the aesthetic, or idea, - takes me back to my salad days as a young buck making trouble and trying to not get myself cuffed. Plus, I think it would be hilarious to be seen on stage as a grey haired old 55 plusser sportin' one of these to watch how all the gen Z kids react LOL! Show them up by wearing their crap ironically.
And, I think this one will have staying power years into the future, brats 4-evah!

Anyway, the letters are 3D black leather sewn on top, and this set of four are going to be quite long, padded, sliding buckle straps 3" wide,
and probably in the store monday.

Sorry to hear about the MB crash! Back when I was MBing, I never came back without blood dripping from somewhere!! The "Brat Strap" looks fab, I think you will sell a lot of those ;~))

I'm not really on point with all the trends but the whole "brat summer" thing is fun. I saw this chartreuse faux leather and I just had to do it LOL!

Got a couple of customs going in the shop right now, one a reissue thing I made a while back, somebody was sweet on it, wants me to make another, called "Tally Ho" kind of a hunting tweed thing.

The other one, a tooling job... another cowboy prayer... this time it's gonna be Texas style

Q7EhwLa4_o.jpg

Now with the edges beveled then thricely dyed black

I3mWaUlH_o.jpg

This is a floating pad job, that I pad out the pad nicely. The customer also ordered in a nice big TEXAS concho that will go in the midde of the pad, and I'll do some rivet/stud work on each end
to compliment the feature.

6Y3A8QcT_o.jpg

This was as the final dye coat was setting in. Shouldn't show this shot, it's boring. You want to see it after oiling with neatsfoot, then buffing out...
I'll show that probably tomorrow along with something fun for you A-10 Warthog fans!

Last night big ol wind blew through dropped a tree onto my crib... felt it shake!

dfNsuovW_o.jpg

qPpPkM60_o.jpg

Whittling away now for a couple hours taking small bites

Hf8un5FG_o.jpg

WfPy04sA_o.jpg

break for lunch RN and will rig up some sort of chain and poly tiedown web harness for myself to take on that tall fugger. Gotta anchor myself to the chimney stack.
At about five feet from the edge of the roof the trunk is still about 14". Can't cut that tall bit unless I stand almost right on the very corner of the roof, and it's about 15 feet up. All the sawdust and leaves and small twigs make it pretty slippery too. Once that's down I guess I'll just have to cut 12" rounds off until I get to the roofline. after that, not sure what I'm gonna do but my brother in law is coming for a visit tonight... he's way smarter than me!

Complicating things a bit, gas meter is right underneath all this stuff. A lot of weight came off the top so far... tree is no longer rubbing on the roof at least... but that also adds a bit more unpredictability into the equation. I can see why the pros soak you good for this work

Last night big ol wind blew through dropped a tree onto my crib... felt it shake!

dfNsuovW_o.jpg

qPpPkM60_o.jpg

Whittling away now for a couple hours taking small bites

Hf8un5FG_o.jpg

WfPy04sA_o.jpg

break for lunch RN and will rig up some sort of chain and poly tiedown web harness for myself to take on that tall fugger. Gotta anchor myself to the chimney stack.
At about five feet from the edge of the roof the trunk is still about 14". Can't cut that tall bit unless I stand almost right on the very corner of the roof, and it's about 15 feet up. All the sawdust and leaves and small twigs make it pretty slippery too. Once that's down I guess I'll just have to cut 12" rounds off until I get to the roofline. after that, not sure what I'm gonna do but my brother in law is coming for a visit tonight... he's way smarter than me!

Complicating things a bit, gas meter is right underneath all this stuff. A lot of weight came off the top so far... tree is no longer rubbing on the roof at least... but that also adds a bit more unpredictability into the equation. I can see why the pros soak you good for this work
Be VERY friggin' careful! You are right, the pros get paid a lot for good reason!! So many things can happen that we don't think about in an endeavor like that!!! Glad you and yours are safe, keep it that way ;~))

Back