Synergy Owners Thread

In a nutshell - pretty much this
Yeah I think the module being way over gained is the root of most of the complaints/disappointment with it. The crunch channel is egregiously over gained. And the complaints people have, re the compression/muddiness on OD are exacerbated by it being over gained, also. I'm going to play with some low gain tubes in mine.

The OG module had set the bar pretty high.

Both channels are very oversaturated, it seems, compared to what videos seem to indicate is expected versus an SLO amp. The crunch channel is workable and decent enough, but the Overdrive channel is borderline unusable.

If I had to guess, there may have been either miscommunication or a fault during production. It was either relayed as the incorrect cap/resistor or the wrong cap/resistor was selected during manufacturing and got missed.

The Overdrive channel is not great on the SLO II. Frankly, I think Synergy should discontinue it and replace it with the SLO III. Assuring people it is a different revision correcting the issue would not assuage most people's concern like a new name would.

I had high hopes and the module was a massive letdown.

Idk what this new module is like but you really need to crank the crunch on the SLO30 to get a good amount of gain.
I know, I have one too and compared the Syn version II and OG modules in the loop of the amp. The modules crunch channel is so far off you can't really tell its based on that amp.

Last edited:
When rewatching Rabea's there wasn't much of the facial expressions going on and that is a normal indicator that he is enjoying something 🤣
He was also saying about the tightness of it.

I like the SLOII, but i don't have anything else SLO-wise to compare it to. It is crazy how much gain there is, pretty much on the same level as a 5153 red channel... I have the gain at about 9:30 on the OD channel, tight switch on, and sounds great?

But yeah, a lower gain tube (or tubes) would likely give it a more usable range.

The SLO module is one of my favorites of the ones I've played. It's too bad it seems they toot a step back with the SLO II.

@Badonkey Kong If you need to lower the gain on the module, you could sub a 12au7 for one of the preamp 12ax7s.

The SLO module is one of my favorites of the ones I've played. It's too bad it seems they toot a step back with the SLO II.

@Badonkey Kong If you need to lower the gain on the module, you could sub a 12au7 for one of the preamp 12ax7s.
Or, or... imagine this, if you will: Synergy could admit it's not right, as I likely believe is the case, then fix it. That'd be a better option.

But did they fix the existing ones? If so, that’s pretty cool.
I think you can send them in to get upgraded, though I'm not sure what the cost or process is. If the did a revision on the SLO II, I'd press them on doing it free. The SLO II module I have doesn't seem to be operating correctly, as it is far more saturated than it likely should be.

I think you can send them in to get upgraded, though I'm not sure what the cost or process is. If the did a revision on the SLO II, I'd press them on doing it free. The SLO II module I have doesn't seem to be operating correctly, as it is far more saturated than it likely should be.
That’s too bad, man. SLO is one of my favorite sounds in general.

Yeah I think the module being way over gained is the root of most of the complaints/disappointment with it. The crunch channel is egregiously over gained. And the complaints people have, re the compression/muddiness on OD are exacerbated by it being over gained, also. I'm going to play with some low gain tubes in mine.

The OG module had set the bar pretty high.

Dude that sucks, especially if they discontinue the OG. Weird they let it out the door if it was a step back.

Anyone use a Boss ES-8 to channel switch the Synergy Syn-2 stuff with two Syn-2 preamps (4 modules)? I'm trying to get it to work properly, but when I switch from one channel on a module to the next, it isn't bypassing the other preamp (it is activating it, even though it was previously bypassed). I'm not sure wtf the issue is, and I'm close to just sending back the Boss ES-8. A Boss MS-3 should not function better than an ES-8 for this function.

Anyone use a Boss ES-8 to channel switch the Synergy Syn-2 stuff with two Syn-2 preamps (4 modules)? I'm trying to get it to work properly, but when I switch from one channel on a module to the next, it isn't bypassing the other preamp (it is activating it, even though it was previously bypassed). I'm not sure wtf the issue is, and I'm close to just sending back the Boss ES-8. A Boss MS-3 should not function better than an ES-8 for this function.

They run off the same CC messages, so the way I'd do it is set one to MIDI Channel 1 and the second to MIDI Channel 2. Then whatever device you're using, send MIDI channel 1 CC messages to the first Syn2 and channel MIDI channel 2 CCs to the second Syn2. There's a little white flathead switch in the middle back of the Syn2 to select MIDI channels:

1727919524106.png

Otherwise if you're using a MIDI controller that only sends on 1 MIDI channel, you'll have to use program changes (presets) instead. So preset 1 would be channel 1 on one Syn2 with the second Syn2 set to bypass, etc.

They run off the same CC messages, so the way I'd do it is set one to MIDI Channel 1 and the second to MIDI Channel 2. Then whatever device you're using, send MIDI channel 1 CC messages to the first Syn2 and channel MIDI channel 2 CCs to the second Syn2. There's a little white flathead switch in the middle back of the Syn2 to select MIDI channels:

View attachment 29938

Otherwise if you're using a MIDI controller that only sends on 1 MIDI channel, you'll have to use program changes (presets) instead. So preset 1 would be channel 1 on one Syn2 with the second Syn2 set to bypass, etc.
Nothing I haven't already done. Seriously ridiculous that it has ALL of this capability, and the MS-3 could manage something simple like switching channels on my Syn-2 preamps. I wish the manual was better; frankly it is fucking trash.

So, instead of searching through a poorly written manual (where does it explain LSB, MSB, Auto/Manual, etc?), Sweetwater can figure it out tomorrow with either customer support or a refund.

Back