Synergy -> Fractal For Recording

TJontheRoad

Roadie
TGF Recording Artist
I'm considering getting a Synergy SYN2 and a few modules (AC 2, T/DLX, Deliverance, and/or maybe something else) to run into my FM9. This just for recording and to supplement what the FM9 already can do. FM9 gets me there almost all the time, but for some stuff it can fall a little short. Plus, I kind of miss the tube thing just in terms of feel.

So who's done this? Whatcha like and not? How did you wire it all up?

Some of us here have! Mine was with the III though.

I never was as fully satisfied with synergy as I was with a "real" tube amp. It kinda scratches that itch of an analog rig with the knob twisting but the missing power amp section may be what's lacking. I used the fractal to simulate a power amp and while it sounded great, I didn't feel like it offered anything different from just dialing in a fractal patch.

I still think full tube amps offer something fractal does not, can't quite say what it is but I get what you mean.

Add in the highish entry cost to synergy, id maybe just try and think of an amp that you've been wanting!

But others here really enjoy it I think

Some of us here have! Mine was with the III though.

I never was as fully satisfied with synergy as I was with a "real" tube amp. It kinda scratches that itch of an analog rig with the knob twisting but the missing power amp section may be what's lacking. I used the fractal to simulate a power amp and while it sounded great, I didn't feel like it offered anything different from just dialing in a fractal patch.

I still think full tube amps offer something fractal does not, can't quite say what it is but I get what you mean.

Add in the highish entry cost to synergy, id maybe just try and think of an amp that you've been wanting!

But others here really enjoy it I think

I like the rack aspect of Synergy that can fit into my recording desk and then patched into FM9 as the interface. Full tube amps that I GAS for are much more expensive and have power amp sections the would need a load box for recording direct. I'd buy the Synergy stuff used since there seems to plenty around.

Fractal cleans and Vox tones are the things I feel are never quite what I want. Not enough rhythmic feel and sparkle for my ears. Some more lead options would also be cool.

Fractal cleans and Vox tones are the things I feel are never quite what I want. Not enough rhythmic feel and sparkle for my ears. Some more lead options would also be cool
I only ever had the SLO, Ultra Lead, Uber so I can't speak to any cleans.

But I say go for it! Like you said used they are cheap enough and I truly think you'll get enjoyment out of them. Worst case you lost about a hundred dollars reselling

I'm considering getting a Synergy SYN2 and a few modules (AC 2, T/DLX, Deliverance, and/or maybe something else) to run into my FM9. This just for recording and to supplement what the FM9 already can do. FM9 gets me there almost all the time, but for some stuff it can fall a little short. Plus, I kind of miss the tube thing just in terms of feel.

So who's done this? Whatcha like and not? How did you wire it all up?
Syn2 with FM3 (or Ox Stomp; or HX Stomp) here.

The good: simplifying tye gain staging part of the sound ( knobs. Can run pedals in front with level on them cranked without worrying about whether I’m clipping digitally or anything else weird; no “maybe I should try that other slight variation of this style amp”); cleans in the ODS module are HUGE and fat. Not what I would use for a sparkly or jangly clean, but really great for clean lead, times you need a fat clean rhythm sound, etc.

The meh: with the ODS and bassman modules - overall I prefer the overdrive sounds I can get from Fractal and HX a little. The “simplifies” thing is kind of more of a mindset thing? With cab block and reverb after, you can still get plenty complicated - and if you start trying to even think about introducing some sort of “poweramp sim” things get very complicated very quickly. And with the FM3s limited I/O I do kind of have to do some repatching if I want to mix up how I’m using the devices…think the FM9 or III would probably allow you to.

I have considered selling mine, but have kind of sworn to keep it because I know if I sell it I will just buy some other tube thing that I’m equally meh about so…just keep the sink cost thing. If I were jamming with other folks regularly, I would absolutely run a synergy + solid state poweramp into a cab rig with either an HX Stomp or FM3 for post effects and MIDi control. And so that’s another reason I wanna hold onto it. But honestly…it’s getting very little play time these days.

i was intrigued by synergy stuff, but everything ive heard just has that "missing something" kind of thing going on thats hard to explain. one of the shops here had a few modules and the power amp, it didnt sound terrible but i thought it had this kind of flatness to it which i also seem to hear in clips, id probably just stick with the axe

I bought the Syn1 recently - but I would suggest that you do need some poweramp simulation/real to go with it.

I first tried it with the friedman IRX poweramp simualtion and it sounded a bit dark so I tried it with the Tube Pre of the FM3 and it did sound better - however it kinda defeats the object for me (i've introduced additional latency by using the amp block etc.)

So I went and bought a fryette powerstation and did self attentuation going into the FM3 for IR's and it sounds great.

My Syn2 always runs through a legit power amp and then to attenuation. It's indistinguishable from a full tube amp like that, because that's basically what it is at that point. Also have the 30W Syn head to compare vs other IRL amps. Pretty sweet.

IIRC: Modeler (Axe 3) is in the amp's FX loop. Syn2 is in the modeler's loop.

If I wanted power amp modeling, I'd use a tweaked axe 'tube preamp' model in the chain which has a transparent preamp and a legit power amp model to get some kind of power amp sim going.

The new SYN20IR amp they announced at NAMM will have a back end that by default does power amp modeling for direct signals when the amp is used silently/direct.

Not feeling the rousing endorsement of my idea here. That's ok and why I asked. I think I'm going to try getting a full rack amp instead. Or, I may just get a Milkman The Amp as I had one before and liked the cleans.

Thanks

Not feeling the rousing endorsement of my idea here. That's ok and why I asked. I think I'm going to try getting a full rack amp instead. Or, I may just get a Milkman The Amp as I had one before and liked the cleans.

Thanks
I wouldn't say that but as I found out if you're using the preamp with the Fractal tube pre for power amp simulation then you're in a halfway house.

You've introduced latency to the your rig by simply having the amp block on which takes a little away from the feel.

Go all in analog or stick with the FM9

I use a Syn-2 all the time for recording and live. It NEEDS a good power amp.

Not a Seymour Duncan PowerStage, not the Synergy power amp. Use at least a good amps Return or get a proper power amp.

I have the Fryette PS100, KSR PA-50 and just got my VHT 2/90/2

The other guitar player in my Maiden tribute uses the Syn50 head with 3 modules and it’s pretty killer.

I use a Syn-2 all the time for recording and live. It NEEDS a good power amp.

Not a Seymour Duncan PowerStage, not the Synergy power amp. Use at least a good amps Return or get a proper power amp.

I have the Fryette PS100, KSR PA-50 and just got my VHT 2/90/2

The other guitar player in my Maiden tribute uses the Syn50 head with 3 modules and it’s pretty killer.
I’ve been synergy-curious for a long time. To better understand your thoughts:
  • Where does the Syn 50-50 fall short? I have an LXII and I thought they were quite similar.
  • Is the PS100 an example of a good power amp, or another not-so-good one?

I’ve been synergy-curious for a long time. To better understand your thoughts:
  • Where does the Syn 50-50 fall short? I have an LXII and I thought they were quite similar.
  • Is the PS100 an example of a good power amp, or another not-so-good one?
The Syn 50-50 is just very flat and not super full sounding.

I’ve had 3 well known YT guys that did a LOT of Synergy launch content that all agreed the 50/50 is the weak link.

In my experience with the 14 or so modules I’ve bought (still have about 9) an amps Return or my PA-50 have been the best power for punch and tone. Now this is with my hands, my rig, etc.

If people like the PowerStage or Syn 50/50 that’s all well and good. I just know I’d never use either.

The PS100 is great. I have had that since launch. I use it for modelers and Synergy stuff but prefer the KSR. I did just get an old school VhT 2/90/2 so I’ll be testing that. The PS100 is still a little neutral for me but it’s supposed to be.

I don’t look at the Synergy or modeling stuff to be a 1:1 swap for “the thing” because it won’t be. I would prefer a little tube coloration of possible as opposed to a flat power source.

I use a tube power amp when making my IR’s as well for the same reason. Flavor. Even if just a pinch.

I don’t use these particular brands….but do run analog into modelers.
IME there is no different in sound and feel..and I expect Fractal to be equally good as what I use for digital.

Benefit of analog is…quick acces to knobs..reduce of options which keeps you focused…so in my mind mostly adds value in love applications…well…it’s good to have analog around to confirm digital works equally well…so you don’t buy all the modelers on the planet ;)

I’ve had 3 well known YT guys that did a LOT of Synergy launch content that all agreed the 50/50 is the weak link.

In my experience with the 14 or so modules I’ve bought (still have about 9) an amps Return or my PA-50 have been the best power for punch and tone. Now this is with my hands, my rig, etc.

If people like the PowerStage or Syn 50/50 that’s all well and good. I just know I’d never use either.

The PS100 is great. I have had that since launch. I use it for modelers and Synergy stuff but prefer the KSR. I did just get an old school VhT 2/90/2 so I’ll be testing that. The PS100 is still a little neutral for me but it’s supposed to be.

I don’t look at the Synergy or modeling stuff to be a 1:1 swap for “the thing” because it won’t be. I would prefer a little tube coloration of possible as opposed to a flat power source.

I use a tube power amp when making my IR’s as well for the same reason. Flavor. Even if just a pinch.

The KSR power amp has intrigued me for some time, particularly since it also has a flat mode which would be seemingly great to use with modelers where you don’t want the poweramp coloration baked in.

When you’re not in flat mode, does it add that extra bit of power amp character? (Unlike say a PowerStation which is meant to be ultra flat)

The KSR power amp has intrigued me for some time, particularly since it also has a flat mode which would be seemingly great to use with modelers where you don’t want the poweramp coloration baked in.

When you’re not in flat mode, does it add that extra bit of power amp character? (Unlike say a PowerStation which is meant to be ultra flat)
Same. The only downside is the form factor, for me. That and the funds at the current time :)

You definite some additional “character” and the NFB control is really nice to tighten things up.

i kind of figured the power amp might have been why i the rig i heard sounded a little bland, maybe they made it flat on purpose to be neutral with all the different modules

Back