Synergy SYN2 with BlackStar Amped 1 and Helix for FX and switching. I finally got to crank it up with a drummer.

Badonkey Kong

Roadie
It sounded really really good. Didn't have the 3D punch of a tube power section, I kind of expected that, since I noticed it at home even at bedroom volumes, but otherwise it rocked and had plenty of headroom. I used the Friedman BE (OG, not the new Deluxe) and the IICP modules. Amped 1 was on 6L6 setting, 100 watt mode, at about noon on Master. Had the treble pulled down to 11 o'clock as it's just too bright otherwise.

Forgot 2 add it was thru my vertical Mesa 2x12 with the older 70 watt V30's.

Both modules absolutely killed.

The BE sounded like a BE without the extras, which is what it is. At some point I will replace with the BE deluxe for the extra options, but in no hurry, as the OG sounded exactly the way I wanted it to. The only thing was that it was bit noisy. I had the gain nearly dimed, and it did not need to be, so I pulled it back down to 3 o'clock and the noise was tamed decently.

The IICP totally delivers the 2C Plus sound, and was surprisingly quiet, even with gobs of gain. And the clean was sparkling, and with the rack well vented the clean channel did not act up at all during 2 hours of jamming.

Noteworthy - I used the PolyCapo on the Helix for a few songs to drop down a 1/2 step. Set on fast, it had no glitches and worked flawlessly. Cleans sounded great. I always have a slight chorus on cleans anyway, so if it had any warble i did not notice it.

Eventually I will get a Fryette Powerstation or the Synergy 50/50 to use instead of the Amped 1, but for now it works great and will make a great portable backup should I need it.

The only negative - I sucked! LOL... Going from sitting down playing for 4 or so years to standing up again, the angles for my right hand just weren't right. Time to work on that a bit. And shorten my strap a notch or 2...

Back