Surgery Tomorrow!

Fail Charlie Brown GIF by Peanuts
Lucy is a stone cold bitch!

That's why I am so scared and anxious about the entire thing, Tom. :brick
My recommendations go like this:

1) You DO NOT KNOW if you will be one of the people who become hopelessly addicted to drugs. Some people literally get hooked the very first time. No, they don't become a hardcore junky right away. They like the euphoria enough, that they tell themself, I'm gonna do some more of these drugs, but it'll be just an occasional thing. At first, it is. But then it escalates. Pretty soon, can be within a few weeks, they're breaking promises to themself, and using more often. Which has the added side effect of making them feel bad for "blowing it", which leads quickly to a case of the 'fuck-its.' Fuck it. May as well use one more time this weekend, since I already fucked up. Then it's during the week. They never thought it could happen to them.

2) Because you simply don't know if you're one of those people, if you are, there is nothing, absolutely nothing you can do under your own power to stop the escalation.

3) Ask anyone who found themselves in this situation if they SWORE they'd be able to handle it, and were wrong, if knowing what they now know, would they have ever taken the first one, and the vast majority will say NO.

4) It's roulette, and it's simply not worth the risk. Even if you have someone monitoring your dosage, if you're one of those people who go, "WOW! That's the feeling I've been looking for my whole life," because of the way the drug hits your receptors (maybe your brain simply doesn't produce enough dopamine on its own), you've opened a Pandora's box, because you NOW KNOW that something out there exists that will make you feel this way, make all of life's stresses just melt away into the background, and most people are just not strong enough to close that box forever. Many of these people literally become full-blown addicts, and ruin their lives.

I remember reading about a statistical correlation between the soldiers who came back from the wars in the far east, addicted to heroin, due to how readily available it was over there, and the percentage of people who succumbed to opiate addiction since the whole Purdue Pharma crime, and the % were very close to each other. I think it was around 14%. Made me think that there's simply a certain % of people "destined", if you will, to get hooked on opiates.

My advice, having been there, take Tylenol, Advil, whatever. Have sex. Eat candy. Anything else to release dopamine. But just don't take the risk.

Or, in the cases of major surgeries, where you really do need something strong for the pain, educate yourself as to the dangers, make peace with the fact that if you're one who is predisposed to a major addiction (but see #1 above), you simply won't be the first person ever to be 'the exception' ("Oh, I'll be able to handle it." maybe, maybe not) In this case, only take the bare minimum, just enough to take the edge off the pain, but not enough to experience the euphoria.

I KNOW what I'm talking about, but I wish I DIDN'T. If ya get my drift. :cop

1) You DO NOT KNOW if you will be one of the people who become hopelessly addicted to drugs. Some people literally get hooked the very first time. No, they don't become a hardcore junky right away. They like the euphoria enough, that they tell themself, I'm gonna do some more of these drugs, but it'll be just an occasional thing. At first, it is. But then it escalates. Pretty soon, can be within a few weeks, they're breaking promises to themself, and using more often. Which has the added side effect of making them feel bad for "blowing it", which leads quickly to a case of the 'fuck-its.' Fuck it. May as well use one more time this weekend, since I already fucked up. Then it's during the week. They never thought it could happen to them.

2) Because you simply don't know if you're one of those people, if you are, there is nothing, absolutely nothing you can do under your own power to stop the escalation.

3) Ask anyone who found themselves in this situation if they SWORE they'd be able to handle it, and were wrong, if knowing what they now know, would they have ever taken the first one, and the vast majority will say NO.

4) It's roulette, and it's simply not worth the risk. Even if you have someone monitoring your dosage, if you're one of those people who go, "WOW! That's the feeling I've been looking for my whole life," because of the way the drug hits your receptors (maybe your brain simply doesn't produce enough dopamine on its own), you've opened a Pandora's box, because you NOW KNOW that something out there exists that will make you feel this way, make all of life's stresses just melt away into the background, and most people are just not strong enough to close that box forever. Many of these people literally become full-blown addicts, and ruin their lives.

I remember reading about a statistical correlation between the soldiers who came back from the wars in the far east, addicted to heroin, due to how readily available it was over there, and the percentage of people who succumbed to opiate addiction since the whole Purdue Pharma crime, and the % were very close to each other. I think it was around 14%. Made me think that there's simply a certain % of people "destined", if you will, to get hooked on opiates.

My advice, having been there, take Tylenol, Advil, whatever. Have sex. Eat candy. Anything else to release dopamine. But just don't take the risk.

Or, in the cases of major surgeries, where you really do need something strong for the pain, educate yourself as to the dangers, make peace with the fact that if you're one who is predisposed to a major addiction (but see #1 above), you simply won't be the first person ever to be 'the exception' ("Oh, I'll be able to handle it." maybe, maybe not) In this case, only take the bare minimum, just enough to take the edge off the pain, but not enough to experience the euphoria.

Appreciate you taking the time to share this, Tom. If we can't change the past, at least we
can use our past to help people maybe change their futures for the better. Thanks for being
so open about it here. :hugitout

Wow! Thank you because I’ve worried about this a lot. My father was an alcoholic. I might be too.

I sometimes wonder if the whole “Sex, Drugs and Rock and Roll” thing isn’t tightly grouped together. Like jumping out of airplanes or climbing cliffs. Certain brains needing a high in any number of fashions…

Once you hit that first note or chord in front of an audience, go from solid ground to rappelling or get high… you just chase it.
A cursed thrill seeker.

It's like Prescription Painkiller Roulette. Something happens to you. You need majour surgery. It is going to
require high-potency pain medication. Will you have a bad reaction? No way to know until they are in your
system. Will you develop a massive addiction after and not be able to get off the Opioids? Again, no way to
know until you know. :brick

Talk about real gateway drugs.... "Prescription Meds" ..... legally prescribed.... with ZERO accountability. :hmm

I have no idea why the "Medical Industrial Complex" is so reliant on such heavy drugs with such hardcore
implications. And yet, you can't take Cannabis because why??

Is it money? Did we learn nothing from the Oxycontin Crisis fueled by Big Pharma and their influence on
the entire system 20 years ago?

As a Father it scares the shit out of me. As a friend it scares the shit out of me. Have had friends succumb
to the dangers that lie on the other side of the "Prescription Painkiller Threshold." :(
When I had my gallbladder removal surgery in 2015, they gave me some high dose Oxy for pain. They told me to take one when I got home so I could sleep that night. I got out of the hospital late in the evening. I took that one and told my wife that I was not taking any more of them unless I had pain at the level that Tylenol wouldn't dull it. I never took another one of them, or Tylenol. I don't like taking pills. My wife will reach for a bottle every time she has an ache. I am the exact opposite. I will deal with it and not take anything. Sometimes the pain keeps you from doing something stupid. I got up and walked around our patio multiple times a day when taking the dog out and that was the best thing I could have done. It got me up and moving and any pain I had was telling me to slow down and not push things too fast.

I live in a place where there are areas you can drive through and see the effects of opioids. There are a lot of people hooked on them and they will do some bad things to get them. It is very sad.

Hey @KingsXJJ , haven't heard from ya in awhile. Hope recovery is going well!
Thank you Sir! I have been hunkered down for a while but had my third surgery post op with the Ortho Surgeon today. Images look great and everything is healing properly! One more month of no weight bearing son the leg and I should be opening all of the new delivery boxes of gear I bought as a coping mechanism. Thank you for caring. It’s part of why I love this forum deeply!

Back