Studio Monitors, ugh

Warmart

Roadie
I have a Kemper toaster with a Camplifier in the back out to a Kabinet. (It's hard to ensure you get the k's in the right places!) I also have had M-Audio BX5a's for like, well, forever - probably circa 2004? Call me dumb, but I like playing with both the Kabinet and monitors active, but I knew I was most likely suffering a bit with the BX5a's.

I see Presonus is having a pretty significant sale, and I kinda need an upgrade. Have heard 98% great things about their Eris XT's, no matter what size. My problem is deciding between the 5, 7 or 8. I have plenty of bass with the Kabinet, so my brain says just stick with the 5's. My heart says get the 7's or 8's, lol. My brain also says the 7's and 8's are significantly bigger, and probably a bit of an eyesore - and I'd need to buy new isolation pads :facepalm. My room is 14' x 14'-6" with a hard floor, wood walls, and lotsa glass on the opposite wall from where my speakers live. No room treatment and probably never will.

Buying monitors may be even worse than shopping for a fukkin' interface. Too many options, I'm getting sick of looking. What do y'all think??!

I can attest to the Eris Being excellent bang for the Buck they sound great and have some nice room acoustic controls
i also purchased them on Sale don't regret it (y) are there better Monitors out there im pretty sure like the Focal Alpha's but at the price i paid these cant go wrong i say

Eris E5xt with Angled Foam dampeners --->

current-2023-jpg.4049

Concerning woofer size, my Neumann KH 120 monitor woofers are 5.25 inch and I think they sound great. I certainly do not regret my purchase or have GAS for monitors with bigger woofers.

8 inch definitely seems like overkill to me; especially in an untreated room.

My room is 14' x 14'-6" with a hard floor

You could at least get a cheap rug? That would make a huge difference!

I can attest to the Eris Being excellent bang for the Buck they sound great and have some nice room acoustic controls
i also purchased them on Sale don't regret it (y) are there better Monitors out there im pretty sure like the Focal Alpha's but at the price i paid these cant go wrong i say

Eris E5xt with Angled Foam dampeners --->

current-2023-jpg.4049
Ahh, nice, 2 cabs :chef

Thanks, your vote for the 5's helps significantly clear my head!

Concerning woofer size, my Neumann KH 120 monitor woofers are 5.25 inch and I think they're great. 8 inch definitely seems like overkill to me; especially in an untreated room.

A rug is probably my only treatment option - the wife is picky about aesthetics :idk. And another vote for 5's is making this almost easy!

Concerning woofer size, my Neumann KH 120 monitor woofers are 5.25 inch and I think they sound great. I certainly do not regret my purchase or have GAS for monitors with bigger woofers.

8 inch definitely seems like overkill to me; especially in an untreated room.

They really are great.

Both Neumann and Genelec are awesome no doubt but they are quite expensive for my budget
Ill also be adding at some point in the future the Eris sub
Nice little 8 inch sub for some Bottom End

If I didn't already have the Neumanns, that would totally be my choice! I may still get some for another room some day 🙂

@Warmart BTW, the 8030C models are also 5 inchers.

Both Neumann and Genelec are awesome no doubt but they are quite expensive for my budget
Yeah, $700 each is more than I'm willing to spend.

Oh for sure. This wasn't about suggesting that @Warmart buy those specific monitors or the price really. It was just illustrating that there are some decent 5-inch woofers out there and they are more than up to the task. Oh and also that reputable companies are making monitors with 5 inch speakers, so it can't be a bad idea!

Last edited:
Yeah, I won’t change the Yamaha HS-5’s I have. I’m too used to them at this point and @Warmart, my room is about the same size as yours, I just put a bunch of treatment in it because I mix in there. If you were going to get into mixing music, I’d maybe suggest something bigger as I had to add a sub to my setup to get the low end audible enough to mix properly, unless I mixed ultra quiet 100% of the time and that ain’t happening.

I dunno about the Eris at all but with the Kemper cab I think you’d be just fine with the 5” mawfuckas.

Voice of dissent. I gave up on accuracy after coming to terms there was no soundproofing my space so I mix mostly on cans now.

Presonus makes solid stuff. Always get a return policy too.

I like my Eris E5XT w/the sub. If you’re not going to treat your room or tune your system and you want to get the most of your mixes get some really good headphones. If you just want some monitors because sometimes you want to hear it in the room they’re more than adequate.

I moved up from JBL LS308 Mk1's to Yamaha HS8's and I like the Yamahas better. Using and AXE3 and a Scarlett 6i6 (VSTs and gaming) into them on a 3 in/1 out XLR switch.

Back