Studio Monitors, ugh

Absolutely loving my Genelec 8030C monitors.
I've been using the Genelec M040 monitors for years. They are kind of a more budget version of the 8040 with a different design and inputs but quite similar performance otherwise. These can handle even standard tuned bass more than decently.

Genelec has a good guide on their website with lots of info on which models to select. You could use this info with other brands' monitors too.

Choosing your monitors tends to be a combination of room size, bass response and output volume needed as well as distance you can put them.

I've been using the Genelec M040 monitors for years. They are kind of a more budget version of the 8040 with a different design and inputs but quite similar performance otherwise. These can handle even standard tuned bass more than decently.

Genelec has a good guide on their website with lots of info on which models to select. You could use this info with other brands' monitors too.

Choosing your monitors tends to be a combination of room size, bass response and output volume needed as well as distance you can put them.
Yep, I poured over their documentation (in lieu of actually being able to try things out myself), and it was all very helpful. I had a mental block over the 5" monitors--of course they'd be too small, I thought; but they work great for how I have them and myself positioned in my 11' x 12' room.

Yep, I poured over their documentation (in lieu of actually being able to try things out myself), and it was all very helpful. I had a mental block over the 5" monitors--of course they'd be too small, I thought; but they work great for how I have them and myself positioned in my 11' x 12' room.
Yeah I'd check the specifications of the monitors rather than "how big woofers does it have".

At some point I need some new cans to replace my cheap AKG’s, throwing these on my SW list based on your rec.
I have them also, they are interesting for sure. The software has improved over time as has the head phone themselves. On my 3rd pair due to manufacturing issues. They have a new company making them now and the quality is better and seemingly more consistent. The $300 pair doesn't include some of the best rooms for guitar based music.

Yamaha HS, from what I've read in reviews, work well in untreated rooms. Your room is almost a square - one of the worst situations for critical listening. If not looking into any kind of treatment you might want to look into speaker/room correction software. The Yamaha HS5's I have drop off low end at 100hz but the Sonarworks software I own extends the low end very well.

Congrats! I am an huge fan of having a Sub integrated into the monitoring setup. Of course,
you can over do it, but dialing in the crossover specifically to your room can really help out
in an untreated/pure enjoyment sense. You also end up taking a load off of your monitors
and open up some headroom by sending some of those low frequencies downstream to a Sub.

Congrats! I am an huge fan of having a Sub integrated into the monitoring setup. Of course,
you can over do it, but dialing in the crossover specifically to your room can really help out
in an untreated/pure enjoyment sense. You also end up taking a load off of your monitors
and open up some headroom by sending some of those low frequencies downstream to a Sub.
I get a fair amount of bass from my Kabinet, especially if what I'm playing benefits from enabling the bass boost. I also just tilted the Kabinet about 6" and that was like night and day. The newer ones have a kickstand, I just used the 1st little box I could find in the closet lol.

Yeah, I won’t change the Yamaha HS-5’s I have. I’m too used to them at this point and @Warmart, my room is about the same size as yours, I just put a bunch of treatment in it because I mix in there. If you were going to get into mixing music, I’d maybe suggest something bigger as I had to add a sub to my setup to get the low end audible enough to mix properly, unless I mixed ultra quiet 100% of the time and that ain’t happening.
I have been on hs-5s for around 15 years. I have a cheap sun with them and I am pretty happy. I do always put a lot lot lot lot of wideband absorbers in my rooms so I could go a lot bigger but I’m very happy with the predictability with these

I have been on hs-5s for around 15 years. I have a cheap sun with them and I am pretty happy. I do always put a lot lot lot lot of wideband absorbers in my rooms so I could go a lot bigger but I’m very happy with the predictability with these

I won’t change them until I move up to a room too big for them. I learned how to mix with them and I’m just too used to them now. I’ve also got a cheap, entertainment system sub with mine!

I'm thinking, is it worth upgrading my 6.5" monitors which I love, satisfied with and am very familiar with to something "better" which will probably sound the same after calibration?
I believe I have monitor GAS, but I'm not sure...

I'm thinking, is it worth upgrading my 6.5" monitors which I love, satisfied with and am very familiar with to something "better" which will probably sound the same after calibration?
I believe I have monitor GAS, but I'm not sure...
Would adding a sub do anything good for your setup and satisfy the GAS? That’s the direction I’m looking. I love my Genelec speakers, especially after 3D printing stands for them to get to the right height. Adding a sub is next on my list.

I added the PreSonus Sub 8, even before I moved away from the Kemper to Fractaland. Loving it, very highly recommend. @la szum poked me until I agreed to buy one.

The best advice IMHO is finding a music shop with a monitor show room and compare with well produced music that you know. It's amazing how different "linear" monitors sound.

Back