Still Learning To Listen To That Voice In My Head!

Jurassic Park Poop GIF by Vidiots
Even kind of looks like you. Eerie "shit" when you think about it?

Have you not told us of all your careers, @TSJMajesty :unsure:

Had my next follow-up doc visit this morning, 3 weeks from last appt. He said bone is still filling in nicely, and for the next 2 weeks I can start 50% weight bearing, then go to 100%. He also said it was fine that I had already started to put some weight on my foot, in the previous week.

Ordered therapy to start in a week, so I scheduled that while I was there. He'd like to see me regain some range of motion that I lost back when I broke that leg- both bones, down near my ankle, crushing, compound fracture, 3 surgeries, lots of hardware, about 17 years ago. My ROM hasn't gotten worse due to this fracture, but he still thinks I may be able to improve it.

The only pain I feel is while standing, along the bottom of my foot. He said that's the Plantar Fascia ligament, which I most likely injured, and will heal. He said it's not the bone.

During this whole ordeal, I've seriously lost my motivation to do shit. Got some stuff done a few days ago, but then it just came to a sudden stop.

So I was really happy that I took care of this as I arrived home:

I got to get my mail, and the 4x4 the mailbox sits on had split. I keep a bag of miscellaneous screws in my cordless impact driver case, just for this sort of thing, and that case, and my quick-grip clamps were right in my truck toolbox, easily within reach. (I had organized my tools that I had gathered up from the jobsite a few weeks ago, a couple days ago.)

So I stopped right at the end of my driveway, and took care of that little repair right then and there. Clamped it back together, and drove a few screws into it. Done! (Kinda like what my heel bone would've needed, if I'd needed the surgery. Ironic.) Took all of 10 minutes, but that's huge for me, cuz usually I'll just put it off. Gotta keep up that type of mindset going forward. Just do it now! I'll still have to replace that board, probably just build an entirely new post, but that project can wait until I'm healed.

Had my next follow-up doc visit this morning, 3 weeks from last appt. He said bone is still filling in nicely, and for the next 2 weeks I can start 50% weight bearing, then go to 100%. He also said it was fine that I had already started to put some weight on my foot, in the previous week.

Ordered therapy to start in a week, so I scheduled that while I was there. He'd like to see me regain some range of motion that I lost back when I broke that leg- both bones, down near my ankle, crushing, compound fracture, 3 surgeries, lots of hardware, about 17 years ago. My ROM hasn't gotten worse due to this fracture, but he still thinks I may be able to improve it.

The only pain I feel is while standing, along the bottom of my foot. He said that's the Plantar Fascia ligament, which I most likely injured, and will heal. He said it's not the bone.

During this whole ordeal, I've seriously lost my motivation to do shit. Got some stuff done a few days ago, but then it just came to a sudden stop.

So I was really happy that I took care of this as I arrived home:

I got to get my mail, and the 4x4 the mailbox sits on had split. I keep a bag of miscellaneous screws in my cordless impact driver case, just for this sort of thing, and that case, and my quick-grip clamps were right in my truck toolbox, easily within reach. (I had organized my tools that I had gathered up from the jobsite a few weeks ago, a couple days ago.)

So I stopped right at the end of my driveway, and took care of that little repair right then and there. Clamped it back together, and drove a few screws into it. Done! (Kinda like what my heel bone would've needed, if I'd needed the surgery. Ironic.) Took all of 10 minutes, but that's huge for me, cuz usually I'll just put it off. Gotta keep up that type of mindset going forward. Just do it now! I'll still have to replace that board, probably just build an entirely new post, but that project can wait until I'm healed.
proud-ron-swanson.gif

So am I. This is my typical routine when getting something new I don't know much about:

Try to learn as much as possible beforehand; people tend to do this much more simply in the videos than reality
Get frustrated
Decide I'm just going to get rid of it
Say screw everything I know and just start experimenting with stuff even though it's not how anyone else has suggested doing it
End up getting whatever it is working

The most recent case is my Boss GT-1000 + Boss ES-8 + 2 Synergy Syn-2 preamps. I also ended up swapping the rack preamp tube on both to a 5751. My understanding is that this is the V1 tube, while the other two tubes in a module are usually V2 and V3. I still have the 12AX7s which worked fine, but I figured why not try it out.

Putting full weight on my foot while walking (slowly) felt the best it had so far today, so I mowed some grass this evening! Yea!

The weather is SO nice right now, so tomorrow I plan to be outside as much as I can. I'll take it in small groups though, and not push things (other than the mower.)

Still a little discomfort, doesn't quite rise to the level of pain, so the best part was being able to walk without favoring my other foot. Can't wait to do this stuff with some regularity, and lose this weight I've put on. :bag

Aah, finally was able to get outside to cut some grass. I had neglected it before I broke my heel, so it got crazy-tall! I just go through these periods where my ambition is so low, and it's so hard to snap out of.

But today I found myself outside, and wanting to keep going. But another part of me was saying, "Hey, you got a fair amount done. Take a break. How bout running that trash that's been in your truck bed for over a week down to the landfill?"

It was like I had to psych myself out to do that though..., "NO, don't put it off until Monday! Imagine how good you'll feel afterwards."

I fight this shit all the time. It's depression. But I did take care of it. And now I'm thinking I wanna go back outside and cut some more grass.

But again, it's like I have this internal argument going on, with one part of me saying to not take on too much at once, another part saying I'm fine, and another part saying, If you feel like doing it, then go DO IT, because tomorrow you may not feel this burst of motivation.

Yeah, I'm a mess. I'm going outside. Fuck it. :banana

My foot actually felt pretty good this evening when I went back out to continue cutting my grass. Walking didn't really hurt, although it's still uncomfortable. Worked for about 2 hours then it started hurting along the back/bottom, so I called it a night.

I guess that means I'm making progress. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ The doctor never mentioned any damage to that tendon during my ER visit, even though he had a full scan that I watched him scroll through. It wasn't until I started putting weight on it that it revealed itself. So it has made me more than a little uneasy that 2 months out, and I still have pretty bad pain. Like, is it healing?

Does a "smashed" tendon (because of how I landed on it, and it being on the bottom of the foot) take over 2 months to heal, er, recover? :rofl

Idk. I'm just glad that this evening it felt the best it has so far. And that's even after I had been on it several times earlier in the day.

I was actually pretty productive, what with this whole ordeal making it harder to deal with my depression. Got a lot of the grass cut (finished my front yard), and even changed the oil in the mower and resharpened the blade! Which btw, when did they start eliminating drain plugs in these things? (yeah, I haven't changed the oil in a long time. :sofa)

You have to tip the mower on its side and let the oil run out of the fill tube!! So you need to run it until it runs out of gas, but other than that, I guess in a way it is actually easier.

So all in all, my best weekend since I broke it back on 8-5. I'm really grateful for that! :banana (Is the dancing banana better than the pickle, or the other way around?)

Hope everyone's weekend was good! :beer

Good to hear you are doing better dude!!

Activity is a great cure for depression and the like.

Damn ...I haven't used a push mower in like 15 years, I assumed you have been riding a mower....damn homie!!!!

I have found that hand sharpening anything has become a great meditative activity for me. I hand sharpen everything......Even my chainsaws.....and axes.....you could probably shave with my axe.

I have made a good friend of the bastard file.

Also, be better in your maintenance......it will help your mind. You would be surprised how much we can beat ourselves up over silly things like that...they take a mental toll.

Keep it up dude..... before you know it, You'll be back to work

:beer

P.S. I just realized that sounds a little dickish.....not my intention.

Good to hear you are doing better dude!!

Activity is a great cure for depression and the like.

Damn ...I haven't used a push mower in like 15 years, I assumed you have been riding a mower....damn homie!!!!
Thanks! And getting out in that SUN!! At least the weather this time of year is PERFECT!! No humidity, and in the 70's.

I don't have a grass catcher on my zero-turn like I do on my push mower. So I have to do the entire yard this way first, b/c I don't want all those clippings left laying. I've done it before when the grass got tall, and they get left in clumps and kill the grass.

If I cut it often enough, that's not a problem (and better for the grass too.)
I have found that hand sharpening anything has become a great meditative activity for me. I hand sharpen everything......Even my chainsaws.....and axes.....you could probably shave with my axe.

I have made a good friend of the bastard file.
Fuck that! :rofl Bench grinder for me. I'm not cutting a golf course. I can't imagine how long that would take. Chainsaw blades..., throw em away. But I know pros do hand-sharpen, but I don't use a chainsaw often enough for it to matter. $20 every couple years is fine by me.
Also, be better in your maintenance
I know, right?
P.S. I just realized that sounds a little dickish.....not my intention.
Dude, I don't take anything like that. :beer In fact, I appreciate the interaction.

One good thing about me letting my grass grow so tall is I have widlflowers sprouting up in various places, that are attracting bees, that I'm going to keep! Like this one at the end of my culvert:

View attachment 30851

Probably can't see the bees, but they're there!

I often end up with landscaping/maintenance contracts on properties and I am
so stoked that more and more people are getting into wildscaping and ditching
the dumb-ass (and costly and labour intensive) golf course lawns of suburbia. :chef

Back