Still Learning To Listen To That Voice In My Head!

The voice in my head tells me I should burn things.

ralphwiggum.jpg

I listened to that voice in my head today that said, "You should bring that garden hose around back so it'll be close to the grass clippings fire." :idea

But something told me to wet down around the fire, which I didn't. It's a huge pile, mostly smoldering, occasionally flaming up in a breeze.

I go in to take a break, and a few minutes later a large part of the yard is on fire! :facepalm

It was just a line of burning thatch working its way outward, but it was heading for the tall grass that I hadn't yet cut, which is close to the edge of my yard, which is close to the woods. And it hasn't rained here in about 2 weeks! So even my tall grass has dried stalks that burn easily.

So I dash outside, grab the hose, oh wait, run back to turn it on, and douse the edges that I can reach. Then grab the rake and run around to the woods side and start beating it out.

I got it all out in just a few minutes, but I haven't moved that fast since I broke my foot! :rofl

So I stayed out and continued working in bare feet, which actually felt a whole lot better than shoes. So I'm getting there.

Today was in the 70's and the longest I've been able to stay on my feet, so that's encouraging.

And yes, I wetted a big wide swath around the pile. I'll probably have a nice green ring of grass there soon. :grin

I listened to that voice in my head today that said, "You should bring that garden hose around back so it'll be close to the grass clippings fire." :idea

But something told me to wet down around the fire, which I didn't. It's a huge pile, mostly smoldering, occasionally flaming up in a breeze.

I go in to take a break, and a few minutes later a large part of the yard is on fire! :facepalm

It was just a line of burning thatch working its way outward, but it was heading for the tall grass that I hadn't yet cut, which is close to the edge of my yard, which is close to the woods. And it hasn't rained here in about 2 weeks! So even my tall grass has dried stalks that burn easily.

So I dash outside, grab the hose, oh wait, run back to turn it on, and douse the edges that I can reach. Then grab the rake and run around to the woods side and start beating it out.

I got it all out in just a few minutes, but I haven't moved that fast since I broke my foot! :rofl

So I stayed out and continued working in bare feet, which actually felt a whole lot better than shoes. So I'm getting there.

Today was in the 70's and the longest I've been able to stay on my feet, so that's encouraging.

And yes, I wetted a big wide swath around the pile. I'll probably have a nice green ring of grass there soon. :grin

Dude, I'm so glad you caught a break on that one. Whew! It's crazy how easy it is for something simple to get way out of hand.

Also, be better in your maintenance......it will help your mind.
Maybe this is why I neglect maintenance:

Ordered maintenance parts for the mower, spark plug came today.

Steps:
  • The part # on the plug isn't the one in the manual, but I'm pretty sure I already cross referenced it, but make a mental note to compare it to the old one.
  • Look up the gap and torque specs. Hmmm, which of these 4 models in the manual is mine?
  • Check pic I took of the mower ID tag the other day, and compare. Ok, I got it. It's the 140 cc version.
  • Go get spark plug gap tool and torque wrench from shop
  • Wait, gap tool doesn't go low enough; Find feeler gauge, but take the spark plug gap tool with, b/c it's used to alter gap.
  • Wheel mower around to my work benches, cuz I hate bending down to do this shit.
  • Read manual on torque wrench to make sure I'm adjusting it correctly, since I haven't used one in years.
  • Find reading glasses; Could be in 5 different places
  • Put mower up on benches, pull boot and plug; Boot is too tight; Grab pliers out of truck
  • Go see if I have a 1/4" female to 3/8" male drive adapter. I think I bought a complete set of those years ago (both directions), but it could be in a couple places. Check mechanics tool box in shop. Found it.
  • Grab spark plug socket. Wait, go get spark plug. I think it's 5/8, but not positive
  • Remove and compare plugs. It's correct
  • Check gap; adjust gap; lather, rinse, repeat 2 more times
  • Install plug.
  • Torque
  • Hmm, wrench hasn't clicked yet, better stop before I strip any threads. It's tight enough.
  • Replace boot
  • Throw away trash; Put away tools
  • Better start the mower first
  • Runs fine. Maybe even better than before. Of course it does! Confirmation bias says so.
  • Repeat process in another 5 years.
If this was years ago, it would require 5 additional, "Drink Beer" steps, above.

New air cleaner arrives tomorrow. That'll be much simpler.

Steps:
  • The part # on the plug isn't the one in the manual, but I'm pretty sure I already cross referenced it, but make a mental note to compare it to the old one.
  • Look up the gap and torque specs. Hmmm, which of these 4 models in the manual is mine?
  • Check pic I took of the mower ID tag the other day, and compare. Ok, I got it. It's the 140 cc version.
  • Wait, gap tool doesn't go low enough; Find feeler gauge, but take the spark plug gap tool with, b/c it's used to alter gap.
  • Wheel mower around to my work benches, cuz I hate bending down to do this shit.
  • Read manual on torque wrench to make sure I'm adjusting it correctly, since I haven't used one in years.
  • Put mower up on benches, pull boot and plug; Boot is too tight; Grab pliers out of truck
  • Go see if I have a 1/4" female to 3/8" male drive adapter. I think I bought a complete set of those years ago (both directions), but it could be in a couple places. Check mechanics tool box in shop. Found it.
  • Grab spark plug socket. Wait, go get spark plug. I think it's 5/8, but not positive
  • Install plug.
  • Torque
  • Hmm, wrench hasn't clicked yet, better stop before I strip any threads. It's tight enough.
  • Replace boot
  • Runs fine. Maybe even better than before. Of course it does! Confirmation bias says so.
If this was years ago, it would require 5 additional, "Drink Beer" steps, above.

Sounds relaxing 🤣👍

Yep.....sounds about right.
Good to know you did a thing🤘
Doesn't it feel good!!🤣

Now don't burn down your house 🤣

Steps:
  • Install plug.
  • Torque
  • Replace boot

Hey Zeus Fuckering Kristine! :grin

I need a :guinessafter reading all of that! :crazy

Sounds relaxing 🤣👍

Yep.....sounds about right.
Good to know you did a thing🤘
Doesn't it feel good!!🤣

Now don't burn down your house 🤣
Speaking of which...,

One of the local VFD captains came banging on my door last night, asking me if I had a 'burn' going.

Apparently smoke was wafting across the road and the neighbors called it in, so he was out following the smoke! :facepalm

I'm supposed to inform the county emergency center of this sort of thing. Which I did not know.

Good thing he didn't walk around my back yard and see the burnt up grass!

Speaking of which...,

One of the local VFD captains came banging on my door last night, asking me if I had a 'burn' going.

Apparently smoke was wafting across the road and the neighbors called it in, so he was out following the smoke! :facepalm

I'm supposed to inform the county emergency center of this sort of thing. Which I did not know.

Real lucky.

Reason number 3789 that we have surveillance cameras on our property ...if it wasn't for those...we would have missed....

A close, vacation time neighbors were up last spring....right after a real dry spell......lit his brush fire.....on a no burn day....

It was in a pit, but it was overloaded with brush ..which wasn't supposed to be burned at the time, and the dumbass didn't have a hose.....just a shovel..... A fuckin shovel bud.

This person owns 1.9 acres on the corner of my almost 40.....and his grass and dead pines were on fire .....I was shitting my pants. Our woods are behind their place ...and we had a dry ass alfalfa field.....shit was real...like now!

I called for my wife to start grabbing hose, 🤣, and I started connecting everything and getting water on......this was 500 ft of hose bud ....garden hose.

Needless to say, I put out his fire....and saved our place.....before the fire department showed up....on Easter Sunday.....at 1pm. Wonder what they could have been doing at that time, on easter Sunday 🤔

15 trucks showed up, along with the DNR..and 3 county sheriff dept.....because Michigan.....

But I had all my shit put away, and was in the house, mad as fuck.

An hour later the fire chief came and thanked me....the chief...... thanked me.

The neighbor.....also distant family by marriage....to this day, has not said thank you. After what I said to him....and all the fines and court dates he had to deal with....sure we won't speak ever again. Cool with me. Still doesn't burn in that pit....guess lesson learned. Asswipes.....

Sorry...a little ranty.....but as someone with everything to lose....I literally put out fires around me ....at least 1 every couple years.

Last edited:
Speaking of which...,

At least a glimpse into one of the types of things I can't fucking stand about MD.

Back