Still Learning To Listen To That Voice In My Head!

Dude, that's the full brutality right there. My wife and I don't have insurance, and all this shit is just waiting around the corner. Even if we can ever afford insurance again, this is the deal. I hate it so much. I call this "late stage capitalism," where unregulated markets go so far it becomes cartoonish, and, for anyone who's not actually rich, a nightmare.

Cool---if occasionally heady---book. I believe he coined the term originally??? :idk

1723851703986.png

Well, a couple updates...

Had my 2nd follow-up with Ortho, and doc still thinks I'm ok to not have surgery and let it heal on its own. He had another doc also come to the same conclusion, independently, so I decided that was good enough for me, and to not set up a consult with a surgeon.

Ortho wants to see me 1 more time to make that his final answer, so to speak, since that would then be 3 weeks from the injury. That's tomorrow morning.

In the meantime, even though I live alone and have to use crutches and a knee scooter to get around, I'm still able to be independent. That was until Saturday night, and I get in my truck, er, climb up into my truck, turn the key, and the dashboard lights are all going crazy, and it wouldn't start!

And I'm thinking the worst. Like, I've got some weird electrical issue stemming from my neglect of my Check Engine light being on for months. :sofa

I know what it is- my coils are starting to arc and throw a Knock Sensor code. It happens when corrosion builds up at this little resistor that sits up in the shaft of the coil-on-plug, and the electrical current can't get through to the spark plug properly. And I've neglected to deal with it, knowing it's just going to get worse. But that's my MO..., I let shit go far too long, and then it ends up costing me more time, money, & aggravation in the end. :facepalm

So I figure I've shorted out something bad. Monday morning I have my truck towed to a shop, and of course everyone is so busy, but they were able to get to it today, and yes, the coils are an issue, but the main culprit of why the truck wouldn't start was simply the battery being..., done.

And a very weak battery will make all those dashboard lights and indicators literally go bonkers. Whew, what a relief! But still, another thing I should've been on top of.

I had visions of a shop not being able to diagnose the problem, because I know electrical issues can be difficult, especially when there was already an issue present, that can complicate things.

But $200 later, and $120 for the tow, I have my truck back. I have had TERRIBLE luck with shops in the past, that I'm just not comfortable letting anyone do work on my vehicles that I can do myself. So for now, I'm not having those coils and plugs replaced just yet. I will do it myself as soon as I'm cleared to start putting weight on my foot. I'll only drive my truck when absolutely necessary in the meantime.

Buddy of mine had his plugs replaced, and this was back when vehicles first started using aluminum heads, and wouldn't you know it, the mechanic over-torqued one of his spark plugs! Couldn't be repaired. He needed a new HEAD!!

And I know the general state of workmanship these days basically sucks. I see it all around me. People not properly trained, people distracted by text messages while they're working, people not being properly supervised. Lowest-paid guy in the shop gets to do oil/filter changes, but because no one with more experience alerts him to it, he doesn't notice that the old o-ring remained stuck to the block, and the filter leaked oil. But not until the customer saw this oil stain in his driveway a few days later. Shit like that.

You DON'T just grab a socket wrench and start pulling spark plugs, especially now that the service interval on them is 100,000 miles. That's a sure-fire way to break one off!! I know this because I educate myself on these types of details. You're supposed to warm up the truck, then let it sit for an hour, no more, then remove them. And you don't replace them one at a time, because if you do it that way, the others will have time to cool off, and you're right back to taking a chance that one of them might break off. You break ALL of them loose first, THEN go back to replacing them, one at a time. My truck has 16.

So what am I gonna do? Tell a shop how to do their job? Just hope that they DO know this detail? I'm SO SURE they'd just love having some customer tell them how to do their job! Nope. I'll do it myself.

So other than that, I'm playing lots of guitar. Could be worse. :beer:rawk

Had my 2nd follow-up with Ortho, and doc still thinks I'm ok to not have surgery and let it heal on its own. He had another doc also come to the same conclusion, independently, so I decided that was good enough for me, and to not set up a consult with a surgeon.

Ortho wants to see me 1 more time to make that his final answer, so to speak, since that would then be 3 weeks from the injury. That's tomorrow morning.

In the meantime, even though I live alone and have to use crutches and a knee scooter to get around, I'm still able to be independent. That was until Saturday night, and I get in my truck, er, climb up into my truck, turn the key, and the dashboard lights are all going crazy, and it wouldn't start!

And I'm thinking the worst. Like, I've got some weird electrical issue stemming from my neglect of my Check Engine light being on for months. :sofa

I know what it is- my coils are starting to arc and throw a Knock Sensor code. It happens when corrosion builds up at this little resistor that sits up in the shaft of the coil-on-plug, and the electrical current can't get through to the spark plug properly. And I've neglected to deal with it, knowing it's just going to get worse. But that's my MO..., I let shit go far too long, and then it ends up costing me more time, money, & aggravation in the end. :facepalm

So I figure I've shorted out something bad. Monday morning I have my truck towed to a shop, and of course everyone is so busy, but they were able to get to it today, and yes, the coils are an issue, but the main culprit of why the truck wouldn't start was simply the battery being..., done.

And a very weak battery will make all those dashboard lights and indicators literally go bonkers. Whew, what a relief! But still, another thing I should've been on top of.

I had visions of a shop not being able to diagnose the problem, because I know electrical issues can be difficult, especially when there was already an issue present, that can complicate things.

But $200 later, and $120 for the tow, I have my truck back. I have had TERRIBLE luck with shops in the past, that I'm just not comfortable letting anyone do work on my vehicles that I can do myself. So for now, I'm not having those coils and plugs replaced just yet. I will do it myself as soon as I'm cleared to start putting weight on my foot. I'll only drive my truck when absolutely necessary in the meantime.

Buddy of mine had his plugs replaced, and this was back when vehicles first started using aluminum heads, and wouldn't you know it, the mechanic over-torqued one of his spark plugs! Couldn't be repaired. He needed a new HEAD!!

And I know the general state of workmanship these days basically sucks. I see it all around me. People not properly trained, people distracted by text messages while they're working, people not being properly supervised. Lowest-paid guy in the shop gets to do oil/filter changes, but because no one with more experience alerts him to it, he doesn't notice that the old o-ring remained stuck to the block, and the filter leaked oil. But not until the customer saw this oil stain in his driveway a few days later. Shit like that.

You DON'T just grab a socket wrench and start pulling spark plugs, especially now that the service interval on them is 100,000 miles. That's a sure-fire way to break one off!! I know this because I educate myself on these types of details. You're supposed to warm up the truck, then let it sit for an hour, no more, then remove them. And you don't replace them one at a time, because if you do it that way, the others will have time to cool off, and you're right back to taking a chance that one of them might break off. You break ALL of them loose first, THEN go back to replacing them, one at a time. My truck has 16.

So what am I gonna do? Tell a shop how to do their job? Just hope that they DO know this detail? I'm SO SURE they'd just love having some customer tell them how to do their job! Nope. I'll do it myself.

Good news about the truck dude!!!! I mean...for the most part anyway.

Best of luck for continued healing. Glad to know you're mostly able to get around okay until that point. I envy your ability to deal with your truck once you're able.

Back