Still Learning To Listen To That Voice In My Head!

Fuck that! :rofl Bench grinder for me. I'm not cutting a golf course. I can't imagine how long that would take. Chainsaw blades..., throw em away. But I know pros do hand-sharpen, but I don't use a chainsaw often enough for it to matter. $20 every couple years is fine by me.

Haha! Do you toss out your underwear, too, when it gets .... uhmmm.... soiled. ??? :idk

:LOL:

I hand-sharpen the chain before every use. If you just touch it up like that they stay pristine,
last longer, and cut better. Takes a couple of minutes. I know of no other way. :bonk

Glad to hear you had a great weekend, Tom! You have certainly earned it!! :beer

Thanks! And getting out in that SUN!! At least the weather this time of year is PERFECT!! No humidity, and in the 70's.

I don't have a grass catcher on my zero-turn like I do on my push mower. So I have to do the entire yard this way first, b/c I don't want all those clippings left laying. I've done it before when the grass got tall, and they get left in clumps and kill the grass.

If I cut it often enough, that's not a problem (and better for the grass too.)

Fuck that! :rofl Bench grinder for me. I'm not cutting a golf course. I can't imagine how long that would take. Chainsaw blades..., throw em away. But I know pros do hand-sharpen, but I don't use a chainsaw often enough for it to matter. $20 every couple years is fine by me.

I know, right?

Dude, I don't take anything like that. :beer In fact, I appreciate the interaction.
I throw nothing away. And I use everything until it breaks ...then I fix it and use it some more. I have saw blades in my barn that go back to the 1800s. No lie.

Kind of a family thing. My dad once raced chainsaws in his youth, when saws were very very real.

Like I said, I have some issues myself mentally.... staying in the maintenance and doing things in a very methodical way ..by hand, helps me to clear my head and think things through. My mind is a warzone.....I need to triage that shit sometimes. It literally only takes a few hours a year if you stay up on it.

I have so many stones, files and strops and....yeah kind of a nerd I guess.

I have a insane level of appreciation for the old ways of repairing and maintaining stuff ...and I like to feel the history and evolution of work tools....kind of strange. One of my favorite shows growing up was the "Wood wright shop" on PBS......so that explains a lot. I have planes in my barn from the earlier 1900s..... Just neat as hell. Simple elegance.

Sorry.....got caught up ..smoked a hash bowl and started rambling.😎

I often end up with landscaping/maintenance contracts on properties and I am
so stoked that more and more people are getting into wildscaping and ditching
the dumb-ass (and costly and labour intensive) golf course lawns of suburbia. :chef
I left a bunch of them standing along my drainage ditch, along with some of those "reed grasses." Not sure what they're called, but they sprout up anywhere there's a source of water, and they're supposedly great filters for the bay. Chesapeake in our case.

And if I see anymore flowers, of any type, as I finish the yard, I'm gonna leave them as well. I think I have a section of my back yard where wild berries grow too.

I throw nothing away. And I use everything until it breaks ...then I fix it and use it some more. I have saw blades in my barn that go back to the 1800s. No lie.
😎
I do that too. Just not to the same extent as you. Heck, I even schooled some of the guys I work with on getting circular saw blades resharpened. We don't pay for them, so they never give it a second thought. But they cost 1/3 the cost of a new one to get sharpened.

And my table saw and miter saw blades..., I buy top-quality, German-made CMT blades, and get them sharpened until there's not enough carbide remaining. They even replace chipped teeth on them as needed.

I'm often told I'm crazy because I buy parts to fix all sorts of tools.

I even searched C/L for a certain miter saw that's no longer made, (and found one), because I still had 2 blades for that saw, that would've just gone in the trash if I bought the newer version. (Plus I made a stand that fits that saw, and I just happen to love that particular model.)

On a work project, I'm constantly saving the demo'd lumber, and finding places that it can be re-used, in non-structural areas (like furring out a 2x4 wall to make it a 2x6 wall to meet the newer energy codes), until the project is finished. I find so many uses for all that stuff!

I'm not a 'throw-it-away' kind of person, in most respects. ;)

Well go figure- my rake broke this morning. :roflAnd I fixed it in just a little more time, that even if I were already out running errands, than it would've taken me to go buy a new one. 20 minutes, including getting out and putting away the tools.

Oh, and I just remembered, as I went out to my shop this morning, that the master lock I have on the door, is the same one I had on my HS locker!:annoying
:rofl 20241014_113715.jpg20241014_115230.jpg20241014_115455.jpg

But my foot is hurting today! Dammit.

If it's any consolation, I weed whacked for 4 hours yesterday. I have a worn out battery operated one that's a struggle on the best of days.

Did the normal stuff around the house and it was overdue, so I did 100 yards up and back the hill, down the road.

Couldn't play last night, can't do much better yet today. It's rough on the wrists! Not hurting, just a bit tight, but enough to fork my playing up.

Back