Some 80's greatness feat: Everyone

DrewJD82

Staff member

I first saw this in '96 after finding it on a VHS with Queensryche's Live In Tokyo in my uncle's stuff. I was 14 and while I knew who most of those guys were, I hadn't seen much footage of them. This was early-internet days, so finding rare clips of 80's dudes wasn't really a thing yet. I was mostly stoked with Geoff Tate's parts because I was obsessed with Ryche then and this was the first time Yngwie really stood out to me. He really kind of slays everyone in that vid. Also, people given Dokken sh*t for his voice these days, but in comparison to the guys he was singing with here.....I don't think he was all that great back then, either.

Highlight- "I like how he puts the 'J' in his name so you don't confuse him with all the other Yngwie Malmsteen's."

I first saw this in '96 after finding it on a VHS with Queensryche's Live In Tokyo in my uncle's stuff. I was 14 and while I knew who most of those guys were, I hadn't seen much footage of them. This was early-internet days, so finding rare clips of 80's dudes wasn't really a thing yet. I was mostly stoked with Geoff Tate's parts because I was obsessed with Ryche then and this was the first time Yngwie really stood out to me. He really kind of slays everyone in that vid. Also, people given Dokken sh*t for his voice these days, but in comparison to the guys he was singing with here.....I don't think he was all that great back then, either.

Highlight- "I like how he puts the 'J' in his name so you don't confuse him with all the other Yngwie Malmsteen's."

Don Dokken looked WEAK beyond belief in this. I like his voice in the early Dokken context but he is powerless compared to most everyone else in this vid. I LOVE this song.

Don Dokken looked WEAK beyond belief in this. I like his voice in the early Dokken context but he is powerless compared to most everyone else in this vid. I LOVE this song.

I'd imagine after Halford recorded his part everyone there was like "Fuuuuuuuuuuuckin a, man. I couldn't have gone first?!"

Paul Shortino does great as does Tate obviously. Dokkens placement doesn't do him any favors either :oops:

I've never seen this. Everybody looks so young! What was the context?

Wow. Really? That is shocking to me. It was all over MTV when it came out (1985-6). It's Heavy Metal's answer to "We Are The World"
put together by Bob Geldof to raise money for starving people in Africa. Ronnie James Dio put this together.

Dave Meniketti! And Ronnie! And you guys are way too fucking hard on Don Dokken. ;)

No one singing or playing lead is world's better than anyone else in that video. Just lots of weedly-weedly going on. :)

Dave Meniketti! And Ronnie! And you guys are way too f*****g hard on Don Dokken. ;)

No one singing or playing lead is world's better than anyone else in that video. Just lots of weedly-weedly going on. :)

Nope, Halford slit everyone's throats with his take, then Tate came in and tipped their heads back. Don Dokken was shitting his pants wondering if he was going to get called out for getting his vibrato by shaking his head back and forth. :rofl

Nope, Halford slit everyone's throats with his take, then Tate came in and tipped their heads back. Don Dokken was shitting his pants wondering if he was going to get called out for getting his vibrato by shaking his head back and forth. :rofl

Someone is smitten with the Sopranos!! ;)

I'm surprised how much they all sound the same in this context (the singers)... there was certainly a style they were all going for wasn't there, haha

Also, it took me a while to realize the guitar solo wasn't just one person playing. Yngwie and Lynch stood out to me, but the rest all sounded the same to me.

Back