SOLVED: Can I Use The Axe III as an Interface, Using a Stand-Alone Plugin? (No DAW)

TSJMajesty

Rock Star
I downloaded the 15-day trial of the Archtype Petrucci stand-alone plugin, but I can't get it working.

When I hook the Axe up to my computer, I can hear myself, and anything the computer is playing, through the headphones connected to the Axe. So I figured a stand-alone plugin should be no different, but I can't get it to work.

I have an x-64 Win10 laptop, i-5 Intel, w/12 gig RAM. Any help would be appreciated.

This might help:

I never had to make any changes when I tried them previously, but I’d imagine there’s an Output setting in the VST, you sure it’s set to the AxeFX?

I never had to make any changes when I tried them previously, but I’d imagine there’s an Output setting in the VST, you sure it’s set to the AxeFX?
I tried all sorts of combinations of settings in the plugin itself. I don't remember exactly which ones, and whether it happened with an empty preset or the "Standby" preset loaded, but at times when I set the Input to Axe Fx, it gave me an error message. Idk what I'm doing; bout ready to just give up and say fuck it.

I tried all sorts of combinations of settings in the plugin itself. I don't remember exactly which ones, and whether it happened with an empty preset or the "Standby" preset loaded, but at times when I set the Input to Axe Fx, it gave me an error message. Idk what I'm doing; bout ready to just give up and say f**k it.

Honestly, there’s nothing in that VST that you can’t do with your AxeFX. A lot of people dug that doubler effect but it felt like a novelty to me, I can’t think of any application I’d ever use that. I downloaded the demo when it came out, played with it for 10 minutes and uninstalled it because it felt dirty having anything related to NDSP on my computer. It’s like buying frozen White Castle burgers when you live next door to a craft burger joint.*

It IS cool that they managed to get some presets in their VST’s that work for a lot of people, but I’m not a fan of the limited amount of control they offer.

*I’m only using that analogy because I‘m eating this f*cking amazing burger, The Friendly Ghost: ghost pepper jack cheese, pineapple/ghost pepper chutney, candied bacon on Challuh bread, it’s damn good, but not as spicy as I was hoping it’d be.

Honestly, there’s nothing in that VST that you can’t do with your AxeFX. A lot of people dug that doubler effect but it felt like a novelty to me, I can’t think of any application I’d ever use that. I downloaded the demo when it came out, played with it for 10 minutes and uninstalled it because it felt dirty having anything related to NDSP on my computer. It’s like buying frozen White Castle burgers when you live next door to a craft burger joint.*

It IS cool that they managed to get some presets in their VST’s that work for a lot of people, but I’m not a fan of the limited amount of control they offer.

*I’m only using that analogy because I‘m eating this f*cking amazing burger, The Friendly Ghost: ghost pepper jack cheese, pineapple/ghost pepper chutney, candied bacon on Challuh bread, it’s damn good, but not as spicy as I was hoping it’d be.
I just wanted to try it to see how the sound compares. I've been having trouble with the amount of fizz in these high-gain presets for a while. It doesn't come through when I listen to others' videos using the same settings. Dialing back the gain, or using a high cut..., it's like it's not really part of the tone. So even adjusting parameters, it's still there. It honestly sounds just like clipping to me. (And yes, I have the input levels very low. I've even tried setting them high, and backing off the gain in the actual preset. Nothing I do gets rid of it.)

There's several Marshall models I can't even begin to use, they sound terrible!! Since I'm mainly in practice mode, I basically ignore it. But if I really wanted to use this thing like its intended, I think I'd have to do some serious digging to figure out why I don't like this aspect of the tone.

And yes, this sounds opposite of some things I've said elsewhere, but I can generally just look past it, and get lost playing. It only bugs me some times. Yeah, weird, I know.

I just wanted to try it to see how the sound compares. I've been having trouble with the amount of fizz in these high-gain presets for a while. It doesn't come through when I listen to others' videos using the same settings. Dialing back the gain, or using a high cut..., it's like it's not really part of the tone. So even adjusting parameters, it's still there. It honestly sounds just like clipping to me. (And yes, I have the input levels very low. I've even tried setting them high, and backing off the gain in the actual preset. Nothing I do gets rid of it.)

There's several Marshall models I can't even begin to use, they sound terrible!! Since I'm mainly in practice mode, I basically ignore it. But if I really wanted to use this thing like its intended, I think I'd have to do some serious digging to figure out why I don't like this aspect of the tone.

And yes, this sounds opposite of some things I've said elsewhere, but I can generally just look past it, and get lost playing. It only bugs me some times. Yeah, weird, I know.
Hey I'll work on this for you. I struggled with it as well. I'll post my template tonight. You plan on using the plugin as standalone?

Hahahaha you’ve been fighting this fizz for months now, I wanna say at least 6 months. :rofl I totally know how it goes though, it bothered me for a while and I even made a thread about it on the FAS forum a while back, in the first couple months I had my AxeFX. Definitely not an inherent thing with the AxeFX though, I think previous to getting one I was always adjusting a mic to chop that fizz out and I’m sure I’ve said it before, but often times it’s that exact fizz that gets a tone to stand out in a mix, but you don’t hear it as fizz in the context of everything else.

I wonder if you are getting some ground noise, or RFI, or something of that sort.

but often times it’s that exact fizz that gets a tone to stand out in a mix, but you don’t hear it as fizz in the context of everything else.

That's my thought, too---unless it is something like EMI, or RFI, or a grounding issue. One of the reasons
I love the Marshalls so much is all that raucous raspiness up top sounds so great with the band. To me.

If you’re interested I have an Audient evo 4 I could sell for pretty cheap as I don’t need it. I used that when I wanted to run plug-ins before I got my Motu.

I downloaded the 15-day trial of the Archtype Petrucci stand-alone plugin, but I can't get it working.

When I hook the Axe up to my computer, I can hear myself, and anything the computer is playing, through the headphones connected to the Axe. So I figured a stand-alone plugin should be no different, but I can't get it to work.

I have an x-64 Win10 laptop, i-5 Intel, w/12 gig RAM. Any help would be appreciated.
So you just load up a blank preset on the Axe Fx 3 with USB connected of course. Make sure you have that as the output in the bottom right of your computer. Then select these settings on the plugins using ASIO and the Axe Fx as the audio device

Hey I'll work on this for you. I struggled with it as well. I'll post my template tonight. You plan on using the plugin as standalone?
Yes. I just want to use the stand alone, since I don't have a DAW, and I don't want to get into all that atm.

No problem!
I had no idea I had to set that top line to ASIO. I suppose I would've eventually tried that combination, but I also didn't know I had to change the Audio Input Channels to 5 & 6.

So again, thank you thank you thank you!!!

I had no idea I had to set that top line to ASIO. I suppose I would've eventually tried that combination, but I also didn't know I had to change the Audio Input Channels to 5 & 6.

So again, thank you thank you thank you!!!
Yeah it took some trial and error. I think input 5/6 is usb audio or somesuch. Anyway, glad it's working for you

So now I'm in comparison mode. I don't want to give any impressions just yet, because just the fact I'm happy it's working is going to impart confirmation bias. I will say the fizz is still there, but it sounds..., different..., like it's part of the signal...? I'll play some more with it, but it's certainly not radically different.

So now I'm in comparison mode. I don't want to give any impressions just yet, because just the fact I'm happy it's working is going to impart confirmation bias. I will say the fizz is still there, but it sounds..., different..., like it's part of the signal...? I'll play some more with it, but it's certainly not radically different.
Do you have any clips so we can have an idea of the fizz? And is it in a mix or just you jamming?

Back