What Are The Pros & Cons of Various DAWs, for a Total Newb?

just enough to be dangerous

Hah!
Well, Logic seriously isn't too tough to get familiar with (which, fwiw, has been fundamentally different before at least Logic 8 - until then it's been a nightmare for starters and switchers), the tool tips are nice and the interactive manual you can reach through them isn't all that bad, either.
Also, once you have everything set up and running, don't hesitate to ask. Maybe we could start a little kinda interactive Logic thread (I even used to teach Logic for a while... might just be some language barriers, but we should get that sorted).

Can someone flip me a solid and recommend a great introductory logic YouTube video? I’m not afraid of the deep end as long as I get kind of walked into it lovingly 🥰

(I don’t want to sort through a bunch of bad s**t. Hopefully it’s not extemporaneous either.)

TIA! (no, not the TIA about Africa)
A tad long, but super well organized:

I don’t know how good this is, but someone I respect on another forum highly recommend it. It’s from Berkeley school of music and it’s free.

Last edited:
They will be rendered pretty much obsolete any day soon, though. In case you're not using it for anything else it might not be much of an issue, but as soon as you do, it will, at least one day. As an example, my old white plastic Macbook, while fully functional, while loaded with 1.5TB of diskspace (I ripped the optical drive out in favour of a second HDD) can't do much anymore. Runs Logic 9 pretty much like a champ but I can't even load the most un-fancy websites anymore, not even with some patched Firefox versions.
That's one of the major downsides of the Apple ecosystem - they can render any machine obsolete for no technical reasons.
Yeah, I got my money's worth out of the thing (same goes for the 2010 Mac Pro I'm typing this on), but especially these days I'd really love being able to use my computers for a bit longer.
Anyway, a 2014 Mac Mini would be something I possibly wouldn't recommend too much in case it should be used for other things but Garageband and Logic (and even those can't be updated to their latest incarnations anymore - or at least pretty soon).
I’m currently using a Mac mini 😳

Also me
View attachment 3796

Hah!
Well, Logic seriously isn't too tough to get familiar with (which, fwiw, has been fundamentally different before at least Logic 8 - until then it's been a nightmare for starters and switchers).

In the early 90s I bought my first soundcard. Was an emagic (I believe) that came with logic.

At the time Logic was basically impossible to understand for someone new daws (everyone was new to daws and daws where new in the early 90s actually).

Lol - I left recording in ~1995, and DAW was just being introduced into traditional midi programs.

I’ve watched a few videos on using logic 10 now…
Super cool! Very powerful.

I’d be keen to hear what people think are important additions without going overboard.

I’m thinking like great reverb, a great compressor algo and maybe a room EQ program like sonarworks? What am I missing?

Need suggestions …

Last edited:
Lol - I left recording in ~1995, and DAW was just being introduced into traditional midi programs.

I’d be keen to hear what people think are important additions without going overboard.

I’m thinking like great reverb, a great compressor algo and maybe a room EQ program like sonarworks? What am I missing? On the

Need suggestions …
Given that software is an instantaneous download, I try to wait until a project presents a problem I can't solve with what I've already got before buying extra plugins.

Also, while I hate subscription models, signing up for Slate or UA subscription for a month or two can give a flavor of whether you "need" something else or if its just GAS.

I’m thinking like great reverb, a great compressor algo and maybe a room EQ program like sonarworks? What am I missing? On the

Need suggestions …

MusicTechHelpGuy on YouTube taught me almost everything I know about Logic. Dude has great videos breaking down specifics and he’s not douchy.

Definitely spend some time with Logic’s stock plug-ins, they’re pretty damn good, especially the Stereo Delay. There’s 4 different reverb plug-ins that come stock with it, but I use Waves Abbey Road Plates for all my reverb needs.

My best advice for plug-ins is to look over Waves bundles. You can get a SH*TLOAD of plugins for dirt cheap and they’re great plug-ins. If anything, the CLA (Chris Lord Alge) signature plugins are all really great, especially for just starting out. I still use his compressors (LA-2A, LA-3A and an 1176) all the time, as well as the Unplugged and Vocals plugins on any acoustic/vocal thing I do.

It’s REALLY easy to go overboard on buying plug-ins, I eventually ended up with almost everything Waves makes and realistically, I use maybe 4 of them regularly.

Not on your list, but I’d definitely snag Waves SSL Channel. It’s an E-channel strip from an SSL board, I generally load it into every track in a DAW before I even start mixing stuff just so it’s already there. Logic has a Channel EQ on every channel strip that’s useful, but I still prefer using the SSL Channel.

Given that software is an instantaneous download, I try to wait until a project presents a problem I can't solve with what I've already got before buying extra plugins.

This! Especially as Logic is still coming with the most alround-ish, comprehensive set of plugins and samples of all DAWs. If you wanted, you'd never need anything else unless for certain rather specific tasks (such as orchestral or big band scoring).

How did this turn into an Apple thread?? :idk

Back